Posted to alt.home.repair
Jon

Default Silica Sand

What is silica sand used for? I have 4 25kg bags that were left at my house
by the previous owners.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RRW

Sandblasting, kids sandbox, brushing into cracks in asphalt before
overcoating, ingredient of concrete.

Jon wrote:
What is silica sand used for? I have 4 25kg bags that were left at my house
by the previous owners.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim

Jon wrote:

What is silica sand used for? I have 4 25kg bags that were left at my house
by the previous owners.

Sand blasting.

Do a GOOGLE for "silicosis" and then decide what to do with it.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair
Randy Day

Jon wrote:
What is silica sand used for? I have 4 25kg bags that were left at my house
by the previous owners.

Adding to what everyone else has suggested,
some grades are used to decorate aquariums.
Granted, 100kgs seems a bit much for that...
Posted to alt.home.repair
John Keiser

Swimming pool sand filter?

--
Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.

Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG

Making your own glass.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"Jon" wrote in message
What is silica sand used for? I have 4 25kg bags that were left
at my house
by the previous owners.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Shopdog

NEVER NEVER use Silica sand for sand blasting, you'll just DIE!!!!! After
flailing around for awhile due to lack of air!

Searcher

Posted to alt.home.repair
James \Cubby\ Culbertson

"Jon" wrote in message
What is silica sand used for? I have 4 25kg bags that were left at my
house
by the previous owners.

don't breath the dust.....serious health hazard associated with silica
dusts.
Cheers,
cc

Posted to alt.home.repair
Richard J Kinch

James "Cubby" Culbertson writes:

don't breath the dust.....serious health hazard associated with silica
dusts.

Better stay away from the beach, then.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Stormin Mormon

Some proof? Website or reference for your claim?

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Shopdog" wrote in message
NEVER NEVER use Silica sand for sand blasting, you'll just DIE!!!!!
After
flailing around for awhile due to lack of air!

Searcher

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Some proof? Website or reference for your claim?

Ever try Google? 180,000 hits on "silica sand danger"
http://www.buildsafe.org/hazalerts/KFsilica.pdf

http://www.osh.netnam.vn/html/silico/SILICA_HK.html
Silica is the most abundant constituent of the world s minerals and rocks.
It occurs in two forms, free and combined. The

combined forms, or silicates, do not usually present any serious hazard to
health. On the other hand free silica, or silicon

dioxide, does present a health hazard and is the subject of this booklet. It
is the common constituent of quartz, granite,

sandstone, sand, flintstone and slate.

Prolonged inhalation of high concentration of dust containing free silica
will cause the lung disease known as silicosis. This disease is serious and
may lead to a permanent incapacity for work in the affected person; it may
also be associated with an increased danger of contracting tuberculosis, or
aggravating tuberculosis already present.

http://www.cpwr.com/hazpdfs/kfdustsi.html
• Do not use disposable dust masks if the dust has any silica. Disposable
masks do not protect you from silica. They do not form a snug seal with your
face.

• For abrasive blasting, replace silica sand with safer materials. The U.S.
government's National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH)
says do not use sand or any abrasive with more than 1% crystalline silica in
it. Specular hematite, crushed glass, some slags, or steel grit and shot may
be good substitutes. (Use of some slags and steel grit may increase worker
exposures to some toxic metals.)

Posted to alt.home.repair
Richard J Kinch

Edwin Pawlowski writes:

On the other hand free silica, or silicon
dioxide, does present a health hazard and is the subject of this
booklet. It is the common constituent of quartz, granite,
sandstone, sand, flintstone and slate.

Stay away from the beach, or don't breathe if you go there. And anywhere
coastal in Florida. Carpeted with silica.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
Edwin Pawlowski writes:

On the other hand free silica, or silicon
dioxide, does present a health hazard and is the subject of this
booklet. It is the common constituent of quartz, granite,
sandstone, sand, flintstone and slate.

Stay away from the beach, or don't breathe if you go there. And anywhere
coastal in Florida. Carpeted with silica.

Carpeting the beach is a little different that blasting it against a hard
surface with 100 psi of air though, creating fine dust.

Posted to alt.home.repair

besides the water is dangerous too!!!!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Richard J Kinch

Edwin Pawlowski writes:

Stay away from the beach, or don't breathe if you go there. And
anywhere coastal in Florida. Carpeted with silica.

Carpeting the beach is a little different that blasting it against a
hard surface with 100 psi of air though, creating fine dust.

Tens of thousands of square miles of silica sand being ground upon itself
by wind and wave. Yes, a little different indeed.

Beach sand started out as big rocks. Ever wonder why it is roughly uniform
in grain size?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

Beach sand started out as big rocks. Ever wonder why it is roughly uniform
in grain size?

They're sorted by nereids.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
Tens of thousands of square miles of silica sand being ground upon itself
by wind and wave. Yes, a little different indeed.

Glad you got my point. The water washing away any dust is much different
than airborne very fine silica. It is not skin contact that is the
problem, it is the very (extremely?) fine particles that get into your lungs
that cause the problem. You get that with blasting, but not in a water bath
that takes it away.

See, I knew we'd agree on this.
Ed

Posted to alt.home.repair
Richard J Kinch

Edwin Pawlowski writes:

Tens of thousands of square miles of silica sand being ground upon
itself by wind and wave. Yes, a little different indeed.

Glad you got my point. The water washing away any dust is much
different than airborne very fine silica.

My beach is about 300 ft wide, with about 30 ft washed by waves. The rest
is just blowin' in the wind.

If the surf is somehow a magic dust trap, then it certainly doesn't show
it. The surf zone floor is a quite uniform large grain size.

And I live 6 miles inland on about an acre of what was formerly the
Everglades swamp, which was formerly a beach, which was formerly under the
ocean, depending on how many zillions of years back you go. If I dig a
hole, I bring up prehistoric conch shells. In short, a soil that is
chiefly silica sand, which in today's drought index of 502, is blowing
quite a bit of fine silica dust. *Cough*
Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
In short, a soil that is
chiefly silica sand, which in today's drought index of 502, is blowing
quite a bit of fine silica dust. *Cough*

And not very dangerous compared to sand blasting. Silica, like asbestos, is
not a problem in skin contact. The problems come from the friable dust that
is very fine and in enough concentration gets deep into the lungs. Any
matter can cause problems if very fine. Blowing beach sand is not always as
fine or in the concentrations of a guy doing sand blasting for a few hours.

We breath in all sorts of crap every day but most is easily filtered by nose
hairs (makes big boogers) and other parts of the lungs and is expelled. The
stuff that gets by the normal mechanisms of the body are the ones causing
problems.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank Warner

In article , Speedy
Jim wrote:

Jon wrote:

What is silica sand used for? I have 4 25kg bags that were left at my house
by the previous owners.

Sand blasting.

Do a GOOGLE for "silicosis" and then decide what to do with it.

A Google hit gave me this:

Simple chronic silicosis -- results from long-term exposure (more than
20 years) to low amounts of silica dust.

This is just a few weekends at the beach every year, isn't it?

-Frank

--
Here's some of my work:
http://www.franksknives.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair
Richard J Kinch

Edwin Pawlowski writes:

Blowing beach sand is not always as
fine or in the concentrations of a guy doing sand blasting for a few
hours.

Sez you.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
. ..
Edwin Pawlowski writes:

Blowing beach sand is not always as
fine or in the concentrations of a guy doing sand blasting for a few
hours.

Sez you.

Right, sez me and my practical experience with very windy beaches and sand
blasting.