Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bulb types for ceiling lights

I've just fitted a couple of "Conrad" flush ceiling lights from John
Lewis and was hoping to use LED bulbs in them, but the Sfix 12W (=60W)
LAP LED bulbs are too directional when fitted horizontally. Am I stuck
with Halogen or are there some LED or CFL types that would be better?
The base needs to be E27.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/09/2015 20:08, wrote:
I've just fitted a couple of "Conrad" flush ceiling lights from John
Lewis and was hoping to use LED bulbs in them, but the Sfix 12W (=60W)
LAP LED bulbs are too directional when fitted horizontally. Am I stuck
with Halogen or are there some LED or CFL types that would be better?
The base needs to be E27.

Look at the E27 page at ledhut to see what is available. They give beam
angles for their bulbs

http://www.ledhut.co.uk/led-bulbs/e27-led-bulbs.html

the first bulb on that pages is specified with a beam angle of 260
degrees and the golf ball bulb 360 degrees but that doesn't necessarily
mean that's an even illumination over that angle.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/09/2015 20:52, alan_m wrote:
On 28/09/2015 20:08, wrote:
I've just fitted a couple of "Conrad" flush ceiling lights from John
Lewis and was hoping to use LED bulbs in them, but the Sfix 12W (=60W)
LAP LED bulbs are too directional when fitted horizontally. Am I stuck
with Halogen or are there some LED or CFL types that would be better?
The base needs to be E27.

Look at the E27 page at ledhut to see what is available. They give beam
angles for their bulbs

http://www.ledhut.co.uk/led-bulbs/e27-led-bulbs.html

the first bulb on that pages is specified with a beam angle of 260
degrees and the golf ball bulb 360 degrees but that doesn't necessarily
mean that's an even illumination over that angle.

Thanks.
I think the beam angle they're considering is around the plane that's
perpendicular to the bulb's axis, which is useful if the bulb is
vertical but doesn't help when the bulb is horizontal.
Their 6.5W 806 lumen bulb looks like it might be a bit better than the
Sfix one when horizontal so I'll give it a go.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 28 September 2015 20:08:13 UTC+1, wrote:
I've just fitted a couple of "Conrad" flush ceiling lights from John
Lewis and was hoping to use LED bulbs in them, but the Sfix 12W (=60W)
LAP LED bulbs are too directional when fitted horizontally.

I've found similar styles of light suffer even with conventional lamps in.

Could you remove the ES holder and replace with 2D LED conversion which would give you a flatter and more even light source?

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 30 Sep 2015 10:04:14 +0100, wrote:

On 30/09/2015 09:06, PeterC wrote:
On Tue, 29 Sep 2015 09:58:27 +0100,
wrote:

On 28/09/2015 22:27,
wrote:
On Monday, 28 September 2015 20:08:13 UTC+1, wrote:
I've just fitted a couple of "Conrad" flush ceiling lights from John
Lewis and was hoping to use LED bulbs in them, but the Sfix 12W (=60W)
LAP LED bulbs are too directional when fitted horizontally.

I've found similar styles of light suffer even with conventional lamps in.

Could you remove the ES holder and replace with 2D LED conversion which would give you a flatter and more even light source?

Owain

Converting to 2D is an interesting idea, thanks. I wish I'd realised the
potential problem before buying/fitting the lights because I'd have
chosen something different.

I've some of these (but at 4100K) and they're not very directional.
The 3W versions seem to give the same-ish pattern at any angle, but at about
20 deg. down from horizontal the 'bounce' from the ceiling seems best.
http://ebay.eu/1QKyZcp

Are yours fitted vertically or horizontally?

The 5W are vertical; some of the 3W are vertical and some are tilted as
mentioned above.
Even the vertical ones give good light on the ceiling.
Some of them don't seem to be available from Ledlam any more - pity, as I'd
been ordering them direct from the company.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Fluorescent bulb types... Existential Angst Home Repair 13 February 13th 10 06:51 AM
Bulb types. ian field Electronic Schematics 21 May 12th 08 06:50 PM
Two adjacent ceiling lights. Need two ceiling boxes? fourrings Home Repair 11 November 14th 07 02:15 PM
ceiling light bulb DJ Home Repair 2 November 17th 06 01:53 AM
Three bulb ceiling light fixture question tomkanpa Home Repair 7 November 18th 05 06:19 PM