Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Which way to get Broadband?

Hi all,
Having had many problems with my ISP support I want to
change supplier, but to what?
I would ideally like fibre broadband only (no land line included)

The only way I can get fibre here on the Isle of Wight is with BT with
a land line phone line included

I found a Satellite broadband only supplier but they will supply a
self install kit only, and I would sooner pay for a survey first to
make sure it is in sight of the Satellite as I am in a built up area!

This leaves the choice to either SKY Satellite or other like: Talk
Talk or Virgin
As I know very little about them any thoughts welcomed.
Mick.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mick IOW wrote:
Hi all,
Having had many problems with my ISP support I want to
change supplier, but to what?
I would ideally like fibre broadband only (no land line included)

The only way I can get fibre here on the Isle of Wight is with BT with
a land line phone line included

I found a Satellite broadband only supplier but they will supply a
self install kit only, and I would sooner pay for a survey first to
make sure it is in sight of the Satellite as I am in a built up area!

This leaves the choice to either SKY Satellite or other like: Talk
Talk or Virgin
As I know very little about them any thoughts welcomed.
Mick.

Try Orpheus Internet. I've just had Fibre to the Cabinet (100yds away)
installed. My phone still comes the way it has done for years.

www.orpheusinternet.co.uk 01702 462385

No call centres - just a real, very friendly, person.

--
Please note new email address:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , charles
writes
In article ,
Mick IOW wrote:
[...]

And, unfortunately, like most smaller providers, expensive if you use
down/upload much.

Not really a criticism as such, just a reality of the market

--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mick IOW
writes
Hi all,
Having had many problems with my ISP support I want to
change supplier, but to what?
I would ideally like fibre broadband only (no land line included)

The only way I can get fibre here on the Isle of Wight is with BT with
a land line phone line included

If you can get it from BT, then any other ISP offering fibre broadband
will be able to supply you as well.

however, you won't get it without paying for a landline - (I assume you
mean that you have a phone lien just don't want to pay line rental)

I found a Satellite broadband only supplier but they will supply a
self install kit only, and I would sooner pay for a survey first to
make sure it is in sight of the Satellite as I am in a built up area!

Have you looked at the costs and the performance - it generally only
makes sense for people who can't get broadband via the phone line.

This leaves the choice to either SKY Satellite or other like: Talk
Talk or Virgin

Sky isn't satellite, it is via the phoneline - what they offer/the cost
depends on whether or not you exchange is unbundled (they have their own
equipement in the phone exchange basically) TalkTalk similar.

Virgin only available if they have cabled up your area, as they use
their own network.

Personally , at the moment we are with Plusnet - the service has been
fine - but by all accounts it can take ages to get an answer on the
phone from support - but then I've never had to ring them.

worth having a poke around the thinkbroadband forums:

forums.thinkbroadband.com/

Some good things have been said about pluse8, cheap landline rental with
broadband and no contract:

https://pulse8broadband.co.uk/

--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/09/2015 10:34, Chris French wrote:

Personally , at the moment we are with Plusnet - the service has been
fine - but by all accounts it can take ages to get an answer on the
phone from support - but then I've never had to ring them.

If you want faster response, sign up initially as a business customer.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 24 Sep 2015 09:45:26 +0100, Mick IOW wrote:

I would ideally like fibre broadband only (no land line included)

Firstly it seem like you have been hoodwinked by the marketing.
"fibre broadband" is almost in variably Fibre To The Cabinet (FTTC)
with your phone line making the connection from the cabinet to you.

The only way I can get fibre here on the Isle of Wight is with BT with
a land line phone line included

FTTC service. Fibre To The Premisis (FTTP) might be available but if
you are baulking at a POTS line rental you really aren't going to
like FTTP rentals. B-)

One assumes you are also relying on a mobile for voice telephony.
This might not be wise, very few mobile phone cells have any backup
power. BT Telephone exchanges have big batteries and backup
generators to keep services running in the event of a power cut. The
FTTC boxes have backup batteries as well but don't know what up time
they have.

I found a Satellite broadband only supplier but they will supply a
self install kit only, and I would sooner pay for a survey first to
make sure it is in sight of the Satellite as I am in a built up area!

If you know the satellite they use there are app for smart phones
that will show where in the sky they are. Satellite is OK but tends
to be expensive, have quite low data caps and latentcy approaching a
second.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/09/2015 09:45, Mick IOW wrote:
Hi all,
Having had many problems with my ISP support I want to
change supplier, but to what?
I would ideally like fibre broadband only (no land line included)

The only way I can get fibre here on the Isle of Wight is with BT with
a land line phone line included

I found a Satellite broadband only supplier but they will supply a
self install kit only, and I would sooner pay for a survey first to
make sure it is in sight of the Satellite as I am in a built up area!

This leaves the choice to either SKY Satellite or other like: Talk
Talk or Virgin
As I know very little about them any thoughts welcomed.
Mick.

Well you don't say what your issues are.

To check whether you can receive satellite use:

http://www.dishpointer.com/

though satellite is very much a method of last resort.

I suggest that you post in the www.thinkbroadband.com forums for advice.

In generally you will have to pay for a phone line

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/09/2015 12:47, Michael Chare wrote:

though satellite is very much a method of last resort.

The main issues with sat BB are partly cost and partly technical.

The long latency means real time applications are out (VOiP, skype,
gaming etc).

Secondly with the providers I looked at, they charge a fair bit for
6GB/month of traffic, and loads more for 20GB/Month, and quite often
that is the "top" package - you may not be able to have more than that.
Since I often use 6GB in a day, it made sat services non starters,
unless you are prepared to spend lots of time load balancing and
prioritising service to stick non critical comms over an alternative
bearer.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/09/2015 22:54, John Rumm wrote:
On 24/09/2015 12:47, Michael Chare wrote:

though satellite is very much a method of last resort.

The main issues with sat BB are partly cost and partly technical.

The long latency means real time applications are out (VOiP, skype,
gaming etc).

Secondly with the providers I looked at, they charge a fair bit for
6GB/month of traffic, and loads more for 20GB/Month, and quite often
that is the "top" package - you may not be able to have more than that.
Since I often use 6GB in a day, it made sat services non starters,
unless you are prepared to spend lots of time load balancing and
prioritising service to stick non critical comms over an alternative
bearer.

I used to connect to computers at a company which had satellite. A
really horrible experience. They have since been able to switch to a
pretty ordinary package - at best Infinity - and even with them using
far, far more bandwidth themselves, the experience of connection is a
delight.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mick IOW wrote:
Having had many problems with my ISP support I want to
change supplier, but to what?
I would ideally like fibre broadband only (no land line included)

The only way I can get fibre here on the Isle of Wight is with BT with
a land line phone line included

Think you'll find they all charge pretty well the equivalent of the BT
line rental even if they supply the cable.

--
*If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I think you will be hard pressed over there. I don't know about satellite
broadband, I doubt it actually exists, its probably sky using btt fibre.
After all it can only be one direction and the delay factor would make it
too slow.

I do not know of anyone who does not include the phone line rental as to be
honest this is where their revenue comes from. It really costs nothing to
shove in a phone line so its part of the broadband and anyone not getting
broadband and who pays their rental costs, is, in my opinion being fleeced.
Myself and not looking at cost as the bottom line I'd say ignore Talk Talk
as their customer service and ability to communicate with each other is
lacking causing many peoples blood to boil when anything goes wrong as their
tv box and router often do.
Sky seem to have a good reputation for getting things fixed, and so do
Virgin, which of course comes into the house on a coaxial cable from a fibre
system to the street. As you say, all need you to rent the line as well.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
"Mick IOW" wrote in message
Hi all,
Having had many problems with my ISP support I want to
change supplier, but to what?
I would ideally like fibre broadband only (no land line included)

The only way I can get fibre here on the Isle of Wight is with BT with
a land line phone line included

I found a Satellite broadband only supplier but they will supply a
self install kit only, and I would sooner pay for a survey first to
make sure it is in sight of the Satellite as I am in a built up area!

This leaves the choice to either SKY Satellite or other like: Talk
Talk or Virgin
As I know very little about them any thoughts welcomed.
Mick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/09/2015 15:30, Brian-Gaff wrote:
I think you will be hard pressed over there. I don't know about satellite
broadband, I doubt it actually exists, its probably sky using btt fibre.
After all it can only be one direction and the delay factor would make it
too slow.

It does - the usual scenario is you use dialup or something else for
upload and get data back down via the satellite. I've never used it
although it's supposed to be fairly fast but very poor latency.

I do not know of anyone who does not include the phone line rental as to be
honest this is where their revenue comes from. It really costs nothing to
shove in a phone line so its part of the broadband and anyone not getting
broadband and who pays their rental costs, is, in my opinion being fleeced.
Myself and not looking at cost as the bottom line I'd say ignore Talk Talk
as their customer service and ability to communicate with each other is
lacking causing many peoples blood to boil when anything goes wrong as their
tv box and router often do.
Sky seem to have a good reputation for getting things fixed, and so do
Virgin, which of course comes into the house on a coaxial cable from a fibre
system to the street. As you say, all need you to rent the line as well.
Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/09/2015 15:30, Brian-Gaff wrote:
I think you will be hard pressed over there. I don't know about satellite
broadband, I doubt it actually exists, its probably sky using btt fibre.
After all it can only be one direction and the delay factor would make it
too slow.

It exists, and you can also get two way comms. In the past that was with
a modem and phone line providing the uplink, but more recent kit will do
bi-directional comms over air as well.

For example, see:

http://www.soconnect.co.uk/products-...ite-broadband/

I do not know of anyone who does not include the phone line rental as to be
honest this is where their revenue comes from. It really costs nothing to
shove in a phone line so its part of the broadband and anyone not getting
broadband and who pays their rental costs, is, in my opinion being fleeced.

Plenty of providers can bundle phone and BB together, which makes is a
little bit cheaper.

Myself and not looking at cost as the bottom line I'd say ignore Talk Talk
as their customer service and ability to communicate with each other is
lacking causing many peoples blood to boil when anything goes wrong as their
tv box and router often do.

+1

Sky seem to have a good reputation for getting things fixed, and so do
Virgin, which of course comes into the house on a coaxial cable from a fibre
system to the street. As you say, all need you to rent the line as well.
Brian

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/09/15 09:45, Mick IOW wrote:
Hi all,
Having had many problems with my ISP support I want to
change supplier, but to what?
I would ideally like fibre broadband only (no land line included)

The only way I can get fibre here on the Isle of Wight is with BT with
a land line phone line included

I found a Satellite broadband only supplier but they will supply a
self install kit only, and I would sooner pay for a survey first to
make sure it is in sight of the Satellite as I am in a built up area!

This leaves the choice to either SKY Satellite or other like: Talk
Talk or Virgin
As I know very little about them any thoughts welcomed.
Mick.

Try IDnet also. If BT has fibre, and copper, any decent ISP will sell
you bandwidth and phone over their actual hardware.

--
Global warming is the new Margaret Thatcher. There is no ill in the
world it's not directly responsible for.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mick IOW wrote:
Hi all,
Having had many problems with my ISP support I want to
change supplier, but to what?
I would ideally like fibre broadband only (no land line included)

'Line rental' is a red herring - someone has to pay for the wires whether
you use the phone or not. In fact, having a phone on your line can slightly
subsidise your broadband (because they hope they'll get call revenue from
it). So don't worry about line rental, just measure the total cost.

The only way I can get fibre here on the Isle of Wight is with BT with
a land line phone line included

Do you not have access to WightFibre?

Theo

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24 Sep 2015 17:12:36 +0100 (BST), Theo Markettos
wrote:

Mick IOW wrote:
Hi all,
Having had many problems with my ISP support I want to
change supplier, but to what?
I would ideally like fibre broadband only (no land line included)

'Line rental' is a red herring - someone has to pay for the wires whether
you use the phone or not. In fact, having a phone on your line can slightly
subsidise your broadband (because they hope they'll get call revenue from
it). So don't worry about line rental, just measure the total cost.

The only way I can get fibre here on the Isle of Wight is with BT with
a land line phone line included

Do you not have access to WightFibre?

Theo

Hi Theo, no I cannot get Wight Fibre, I am in the middle of town and
they only have their cables around the town, their box is a 5 min walk
away.

They also do a satellite Broadband service for my area but a building
opposite me blocks that!
Mick.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mick IOW wrote:
Hi Theo, no I cannot get Wight Fibre, I am in the middle of town and
they only have their cables around the town, their box is a 5 min walk
away.

They also do a satellite Broadband service for my area but a building
opposite me blocks that!

Do you have line-of-sight to anywhere that does have cable, with whom you
might be able to make a deal? Then do a fixed link (either wifi or
microwave). That would seem much better than satellite.

I have no idea how good the WightFibre packages are though - using your
phone line might work out just as good.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/09/2015 09:45, Mick IOW wrote:
Hi all,
Having had many problems with my ISP support I want to
change supplier, but to what?
I would ideally like fibre broadband only (no land line included)

The only way I can get fibre here on the Isle of Wight is with BT with
a land line phone line included

I found a Satellite broadband only supplier but they will supply a
self install kit only, and I would sooner pay for a survey first to
make sure it is in sight of the Satellite as I am in a built up area!

This leaves the choice to either SKY Satellite or other like: Talk
Talk or Virgin
As I know very little about them any thoughts welcomed.
Mick.

Look at http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/cheap-broadband

Some good deals, at least for year 1.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/09/2015 09:45, Mick IOW wrote:

Hi all,
Having had many problems with my ISP support I want to
change supplier, but to what?
I would ideally like fibre broadband only (no land line included)

Most domestic BB offerings use some variant of xDSL to carry the last
leg of the signal to your home. Hence they depend on having a phone
line. If you want a option that doesn't then you need either Fibre to
the Premiss (not available in most places, and expect to pay several
hundred a month), access to the Virgin cable network, or some other more
business oriented service like Ethernet in the First Mile (EFM) etc.

The only way I can get fibre here on the Isle of Wight is with BT with
a land line phone line included

The line will usually be provided by BT openreach regardless of which
ISP you use. You don't have to use BT as an ISP.

I found a Satellite broadband only supplier but they will supply a
self install kit only, and I would sooner pay for a survey first to
make sure it is in sight of the Satellite as I am in a built up area!

Do your own survey...

You can use JavaJive's alignment calculator :

http://www.macfh.co.uk/JavaJive/Audi...Calculator.php

This leaves the choice to either SKY Satellite or other like: Talk
Talk or Virgin

I was not aware the sky offered a broadband via satellite option.
TalkTalk I would not dream of using for a domestic install. Virgin's
only real selling point is if you are able to get their cable service.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/09/2015 11:10, Jonno wrote:
Mick IOW scribbled

Hi all,
Having had many problems with my ISP support

What problems? Broadband works or doesn't. If you've problems with
speed, that's unlikely to improve if you change ISPs.
Broadband hardware to your door comes from either BT or Virgin. There
are no alternatives.

I want to
change supplier, but to what?
I would ideally like fibre broadband only (no land line included)

The only way I can get fibre here on the Isle of Wight is with BT with
a land line phone line included

I found a Satellite broadband only supplier but they will supply a
self install kit only, and I would sooner pay for a survey first to
make sure it is in sight of the Satellite as I am in a built up area!

This leaves the choice to either SKY Satellite or other like: Talk
Talk or Virgin
As I know very little about them any thoughts welcomed.
Mick.

Or, as in my case, neither!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 24 Sep 2015 11:10:28 +0100, Jonno wrote:

Mick IOW scribbled

Hi all,
Having had many problems with my ISP support

What problems? Broadband works or doesn't. If you've problems with
speed, that's unlikely to improve if you change ISPs.

True, but some ISPs are better at kicking BT to get it fixed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:
On Thu, 24 Sep 2015 11:10:28 +0100, Jonno wrote:

Mick IOW scribbled

Hi all,
Having had many problems with my ISP support

What problems? Broadband works or doesn't. If you've problems with
speed, that's unlikely to improve if you change ISPs.

True, but some ISPs are better at kicking BT to get it fixed.

Or just use BT direct. I've not had one failure since changing to them
some years ago. With the previous Talk Talk, it was a couple of times a
year, and always a pain to get fixed.

--
*He who laughs last has just realised the joke.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Bob Eager
scribeth thus
On Thu, 24 Sep 2015 11:10:28 +0100, Jonno wrote:

Mick IOW scribbled

Hi all,
Having had many problems with my ISP support

What problems? Broadband works or doesn't. If you've problems with
speed, that's unlikely to improve if you change ISPs.

True, but some ISPs are better at kicking BT to get it fixed.

Yes Zen are very good at that

Worth a try they have an excellent backup service based in that furrign
land Lancashire;!. They do domestic landline rental at a less than the
cost from BT and you can keep your number, have a look see .

We have several services with them
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 25 Sep 2015 23:30:49 +0100, tony sayer wrote:

In article , Bob Eager
scribeth thus
On Thu, 24 Sep 2015 11:10:28 +0100, Jonno wrote:

Mick IOW scribbled

Hi all,
Having had many problems with my ISP support

What problems? Broadband works or doesn't. If you've problems with
speed, that's unlikely to improve if you change ISPs.

True, but some ISPs are better at kicking BT to get it fixed.

Yes Zen are very good at that

Worth a try they have an excellent backup service based in that furrign
land Lancashire;!. They do domestic landline rental at a less than the
cost from BT and you can keep your number, have a look see .

All that the same for me (but AAISP).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25 Sep 2015 22:42:11 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

What problems? Broadband works or doesn't. If you've problems

with
speed, that's unlikely to improve if you change ISPs.

True, but some ISPs are better at kicking BT to get it fixed.

Yes Zen are very good at that

Worth a try they have an excellent backup service based in that

furrign
land Lancashire;!. They do domestic landline rental at a less than

the
cost from BT and you can keep your number, have a look see .

All that the same for me (but AAISP).

Don't think either offer the equivalent of BT's Total Care on "their"
lines.

AAISP have "Enhanced Care" (BT also have a care level of that name, I
haven't checked on equvalence or not between the two). Trouble is as
you have no contract with BT directly have to go through AAISP
support which isn't 24/7 (BT is). It also costs £12/month, BT Total
Care is £4/month.

AAISP 12 + 12 = 24/month line only (no telephony service)
BT 16.19 + 4 = 20.19/month full service line

£16.19/month comes from BT Line Rental Saver of £194.28 for 12 months
rental up front no refunds.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 24 Sep 2015 11:10:28 +0100, Jonno wrote:

Mick IOW scribbled

Hi all,
Having had many problems with my ISP support

What problems? Broadband works or doesn't. If you've problems with
speed, that's unlikely to improve if you change ISPs.
Broadband hardware to your door comes from either BT or Virgin. There
are no alternatives.

Hi, the problems are getting through to report problems via their call
system.
Mick.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mick IOW wrote:
On Thu, 24 Sep 2015 11:10:28 +0100, wrote:

Mick IOW scribbled

Hi all,
Having had many problems with my ISP support

What problems? Broadband works or doesn't. If you've problems with
speed, that's unlikely to improve if you change ISPs.
Broadband hardware to your door comes from either BT or Virgin. There
are no alternatives.

Hi, the problems are getting through to report problems via their call
system.
Mick.

Grandchild has mobile based broadband. £10 per month unlimited
with tethering permitted. A one year deal. Don't know which provider.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Mick IOW
scribeth thus
On Thu, 24 Sep 2015 11:10:28 +0100, Jonno wrote:

Mick IOW scribbled

Hi all,
Having had many problems with my ISP support

What problems? Broadband works or doesn't. If you've problems with
speed, that's unlikely to improve if you change ISPs.
Broadband hardware to your door comes from either BT or Virgin. There
are no alternatives.

Hi, the problems are getting through to report problems via their call
system.
Mick.

Whose system Mick VM's or Bt's?.
--
Tony Sayer

Broadband Plusnet v Broadband mark UK diy 36 September 23rd 15 09:19 AM
OT BT broadband Jonathan UK diy 8 November 16th 12 12:13 PM
OT - Got broadband? Too_Many_Tools Metalworking 45 February 8th 08 11:47 PM
Best ISP for Broadband Eusebius UK diy 28 May 22nd 07 11:20 AM
BroadBand OT Weatherlawyer UK diy 6 April 10th 06 07:20 PM