Posted to uk.d-i-y
Weatherlawyer

Default BroadBand OT

At last the UK is getting into the 20th century. Still showing last
weeks news though.

Carphone Warehouse are due to announce on Tuesday that they are going
to be running a cheap broadband service.

I got a phone call from one of their salesmen last week as I used to be
with them until recently. Apparently they are linking with Pipex to
give a real bargain. But just what might constitute a bargain depends
on the clauses in the contract. Look out for them he

Carphone Warehouse is expected to unveil a new low-cost UK broadband
service tomorrow, offering existing customers of its Talk Talk
fixed-line service free high-speed internet access.

And the predicted move is expected to herald a large-scale price war
among broadband providers, with industry analysts predicting
subscription rates will fall sharply from their present level of
between £15-£20 a month as a result.
http://www.inthenews.co.uk/news/news/finance/broadband-prices-set-tumble-$380369.htm

(Crap website BTW maybe IE based?)

Anyway, if you have the patience to deal with the BBC try this for more
details:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/c...&nbwm=1&bbwm=1

(Don't bother.)

Things to look for:

How much speed and for how long. Means: What do you want it for?
Positive service. Do you know how to handle problems without too much
help?
Telephone numbers. Can you take that and the e-mail address with you?
Contract. Will you be tied in? Will they charge you to leave?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Burns

Weatherlawyer wrote:

Carphone Warehouse are due to announce on Tuesday
that they are going to be running a cheap broadband service..

I think this is a triumph of marketing rather than a sign of their
generosity.

As I understand it they will only be providing broadband in about 1000
BT exhanges sometime before 2008, this is about 1/5 of exchanges and
covers about 70% population and that itself is no different from the
other unbundled providers like Bulldog etc.

They will give you broadband "free" if you buy a line/calls package from
them, thereby negating the unbundling as you then have everything back
in a single basket again.

What would be really different is a company that would take over your
line from BT, and provide you with broadband *without* a phone service
and just let you sort out VoIP for yourself, no pretence about "free"
anything as part of a package ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager

On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 14:11:02 UTC, Andy Burns
wrote:

What would be really different is a company that would take over your
line from BT, and provide you with broadband *without* a phone service
and just let you sort out VoIP for yourself, no pretence about "free"
anything as part of a package ...

But the cost of such a service would be perceived as 'expensive' since
it would effectively have to cover rental of the 'line' even without
phone service. Probably a marketing disaster!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Stirling

wrote:

What would be really different is a company that would take over your
line from BT, and provide you with broadband *without* a phone service
and just let you sort out VoIP for yourself, no pretence about "free"
anything as part of a package ...

But the cost of such a service would be perceived as 'expensive' since
it would effectively have to cover rental of the 'line' even without
phone service. Probably a marketing disaster!

I suspect the 'fixed' costs of a with voice phone line will only be some ten
quid more on each line card, if that, and ongoing costs well under a
pound a year.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Andrews

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Weatherlawyer wrote:

What would be really different is a company that would take over your line
from BT, and provide you with broadband *without* a phone service and just
let you sort out VoIP for yourself, no pretence about "free" anything as
part of a package ...

Well just register yourself as a service provider with OFCOM and see what
you can do, it's an open market out there...

Peter

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Burns

Bob Eager wrote:

But the cost of such a service would be perceived as 'expensive' since
it would effectively have to cover rental of the 'line' even without
phone service. Probably a marketing disaster!

I'm not saying it would be a great deal cheaper, but I think whoever
offered this would (for a change) be ahead of the curve, with BT's 21CN
this is effectively the direction they will push people anyway, a data
line that you happen to do your voice calls over rather than the other
way round ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
JoeJoe

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Weatherlawyer wrote:

[...]

And don't forget that to be able to get it you will have to be a TalkTalk
landline customer. By my calculations they are at least 50% more expensive
than my call provider. They claim to be much cheaper than BT - big deal...
So fre broadband - not exactly.