Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Burns

Default BroadBand OT

Weatherlawyer wrote:

Carphone Warehouse are due to announce on Tuesday
that they are going to be running a cheap broadband service..

I think this is a triumph of marketing rather than a sign of their
generosity.

As I understand it they will only be providing broadband in about 1000
BT exhanges sometime before 2008, this is about 1/5 of exchanges and
covers about 70% population and that itself is no different from the
other unbundled providers like Bulldog etc.

They will give you broadband "free" if you buy a line/calls package from
them, thereby negating the unbundling as you then have everything back
in a single basket again.

What would be really different is a company that would take over your
line from BT, and provide you with broadband *without* a phone service
and just let you sort out VoIP for yourself, no pretence about "free"
anything as part of a package ...