Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Yale wireless burglar alarm kit at Aldi

Aldi are shortly doing a Yale wireless Burglar alarm kit for £79. Not
that we have anything worth pinching and a fifteen year old car out
front, but there have been a lot of burglaries in our area recently.

Cannot make up my mind about this alarm, especially seeing some of these
conflicting reviews in Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yale-wirefre.../dp/B002D38J8C.

Maybe putting up an alarm box on the wall makes them think you have
something worth stealing?

Grateful for any advice about whether to buy one of these.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

john west wrote

Aldi are shortly doing a Yale wireless Burglar alarm kit for £79. Not that
we have anything worth pinching and a fifteen year old car out front, but
there have been a lot of burglaries in our area recently.

And some will obviously break into anything on the off chance.

Cannot make up my mind about this alarm, especially seeing some of these
conflicting reviews in Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yale-wirefre.../dp/B002D38J8C.

Maybe putting up an alarm box on the wall makes them think you have
something worth stealing?

More likely that so many do that now that they dont anymore.

Grateful for any advice about whether to buy one of these.

You dont say anything about what you can do about the alarm going off.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/09/2015 10:03, john west wrote:

Maybe putting up an alarm box on the wall makes them think you have
something worth stealing?

Or make the thief think that maybe burgling next door is the easier option.

Don't try for the £5 discount on your insurance policy for a DIY fitted
alarm. Do not tick the "is the property alarmed" box. insurance
companies want alarms professionally fitted with an ongoing expense
maintenance contract.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"alan_m" wrote in message
On 19/09/2015 10:03, john west wrote:

Maybe putting up an alarm box on the wall makes them think you have
something worth stealing?

Or make the thief think that maybe burgling next door is the easier
option.

+1

Unless it is a new build or someone asking for one fitting when moving into
their new (but not new build) house then 70% of the alarms I fit are fitted
the week after the owners were burgled.

So what is the average household going to have that is worth stealing?

On a typical road with similar houses then you would expect similar stuff
from each house[1]. So which house would a burglar normally break into? The
one with the alarm (or might have an alarm) or the one that clearly has no
alarm.

[1] Certain exceptions for some home owners if you know what they do for a
living.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/09/2015 10:03, john west wrote:

Aldi are shortly doing a Yale wireless Burglar alarm kit for £79. Not
that we have anything worth pinching and a fifteen year old car out
front, but there have been a lot of burglaries in our area recently.

Cannot make up my mind about this alarm, especially seeing some of these
conflicting reviews in Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yale-wirefre.../dp/B002D38J8C.

Maybe putting up an alarm box on the wall makes them think you have
something worth stealing?

Grateful for any advice about whether to buy one of these.

I've installed half a dozen of the ones on the Amazon link, no problems
at all. A lot of bad reviews are written by halfwits who aren't able to
read instruction.

If it is that package that's well cheap & I will be buying one for home.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"john west" wrote in message

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yale-wirefre.../dp/B002D38J8C.

Maybe putting up an alarm box on the wall makes them think you have
something worth stealing?

you are not the first person i have heard say that
but they have all been female ;(

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 19 September 2015 11:35:02 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
Unless it is a new build or someone asking for one fitting when moving into
their new (but not new build) house then 70% of the alarms I fit are fitted
the week after the owners were burgled.
So what is the average household going to have that is worth stealing?

Lots of shiny new goodies provided by the insurance?

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/09/2015 10:03, john west wrote:

Aldi are shortly doing a Yale wireless Burglar alarm kit for £79. Not
that we have anything worth pinching and a fifteen year old car out
front, but there have been a lot of burglaries in our area recently.

Cannot make up my mind about this alarm, especially seeing some of these
conflicting reviews in Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yale-wirefre.../dp/B002D38J8C.

Maybe putting up an alarm box on the wall makes them think you have
something worth stealing?

Grateful for any advice about whether to buy one of these.

The one offered by Aldi doesn't look like the same system to me. Would
be remarkable if it were - at less than half of Amazon's price.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/09/2015 18:18, Roger Mills wrote:

The one offered by Aldi doesn't look like the same system to me. Would
be remarkable if it were - at less than half of Amazon's price.

Probably
http://www.yale.co.uk/en/yale/couk/productsdb/alarms/hsa-6000-series/hsa6200/

http://tinyurl.com/paq9lnn

http://mpc.assaabloy.com/yalefile//F...x?id=1159&dl=1

Posted to uk.d-i-y

/The one offered by Aldi doesn't look like the same system to me. Would
be remarkable if it were - at less than half of Amazon's price. /Q

They're the same family so the only difference is the panel or lack of panel, panels & all the bits are all available on eBay amazon etc

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/09/2015 18:18, Roger Mills wrote:
On 19/09/2015 10:03, john west wrote:

Aldi are shortly doing a Yale wireless Burglar alarm kit for £79. Not
that we have anything worth pinching and a fifteen year old car out
front, but there have been a lot of burglaries in our area recently.

Cannot make up my mind about this alarm, especially seeing some of these
conflicting reviews in Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yale-wirefre.../dp/B002D38J8C.

Maybe putting up an alarm box on the wall makes them think you have
something worth stealing?

Grateful for any advice about whether to buy one of these.

The one offered by Aldi doesn't look like the same system to me. Would
be remarkable if it were - at less than half of Amazon's price.

The Aldi one is usually £99 so its a good deal.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 19 Sep 2015 11:34:50 +0100, ARW wrote:

Maybe putting up an alarm box on the wall makes them think you

have
something worth stealing?

On yer average houseing estate not likely, the posh end of town with
the detached 6 bedroom places in 2 acres of manicured garden, maybe.

Or make the thief think that maybe burgling next door is the

easier
option.

+1

+1

Unless it is a new build or someone asking for one fitting when moving
into their new (but not new build) house then 70% of the alarms I fit
are fitted the week after the owners were burgled.

Bit of a (understandable) knee jerk or do insurance companies insist
on or shove the premium up after a burglary? A return visit by the
tea leaves a few weeks after a burglary is not unknown, either at a
guess when the stolen stuff has been replaced or by simply driving
past on bin/recyling day and seeing what boxes have been put out...

--
Cheers
Dave.