Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Pedestal basins: plumbing and support

Hello,

One last bathroom question for today!

The basin was on the internal wall, its waste pipe ran (about 2
metres) under the floorboards through notches in the joists to the
external wall. Because notches were used, the pipe run is flat. I'm
wondering whether the lack of fall is a problem.

I removed the old pipe and there was some gunk in the bottom but not
as if half the bore was blocked with it. Perhaps this means the lack
of fall is nothing to worry about, OTOH it could mean that the pipe
was recently replaced!

My other option would be to run the waste parallel with the joists,
down a gradient, and out of the other external wall but I would then
have to run a pipe around the corner to the soil stack, which might
make the outside wall look messy with black pipe everywhere?

Incidentally, the basin was glued to the wall with some sort of grab
adhesive. When I removed the pedestal, the basin remained attached to
the wall, much to my surprise. The adhesive is a grey/brown colour and
does not appear to set. It is still tacky now. I wonder what it is?

I wondered about putting a 2x3 or 2x4 batten in the wall at basin
height, to screw the new basin into. Do you think that would work? I
presume all pedestals are the same height, so it should be easy to
work out where to put the stud for the basin?

Thanks,
Stephen.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I wouldn't change the plumbing - just abolish the use of solid bars of soap
and only use liquid hand-wash type of stuff and use a weekly dose of
Domestos.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote:
I wouldn't change the plumbing - just abolish the use of solid bars of soap
and only use liquid hand-wash type of stuff and use a weekly dose of
Domestos.

What difference does the liquid soap make? We only ever buy that now,
because it's much easier to use, and doesn't make all the bath bubbles
disappear (yes, I'm a big softy that likes bubbles). Does it also keep
the plumbing cleaner? That would be nice.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 18 September 2015 10:18:43 UTC+1, Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:
DerbyBorn wrote:
I wouldn't change the plumbing - just abolish the use of solid bars of soap
and only use liquid hand-wash type of stuff and use a weekly dose of
Domestos.

What difference does the liquid soap make? We only ever buy that now,
because it's much easier to use, and doesn't make all the bath bubbles
disappear (yes, I'm a big softy that likes bubbles). Does it also keep
the plumbing cleaner? That would be nice.

Maybe liquid soap doesn't form as much scum in hard water?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 18 September 2015 09:37:24 UTC+1, Stephen wrote:
Hello,

One last bathroom question for today!

The basin was on the internal wall, its waste pipe ran (about 2
metres) under the floorboards through notches in the joists to the
external wall. Because notches were used, the pipe run is flat. I'm
wondering whether the lack of fall is a problem.

I removed the old pipe and there was some gunk in the bottom but not
as if half the bore was blocked with it.

so no problem then. A 2m flat run is workable, an 8m flat run plus sharp bends used to block occasionally.

Perhaps this means the lack
of fall is nothing to worry about, OTOH it could mean that the pipe
was recently replaced!

The Brits love imagining problems

I wondered about putting a 2x3 or 2x4 batten in the wall at basin
height, to screw the new basin into. Do you think that would work? I

yes if it's a timber framed wall

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

FWIW no-fall waste can often be livable with if every several months you fill the sink to the brim then pull the plug.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Bonner wrote in
:

DerbyBorn wrote:
I wouldn't change the plumbing - just abolish the use of solid bars
of soap and only use liquid hand-wash type of stuff and use a
weekly dose of Domestos.

What difference does the liquid soap make? We only ever buy that
now, because it's much easier to use, and doesn't make all the bath
bubbles disappear (yes, I'm a big softy that likes bubbles). Does it
also keep the plumbing cleaner? That would be nice.

Maybe liquid soap doesn't form as much scum in hard water?

Bar soap is made from Fat and this causes scum (remember tide marks - a
thing of the past with liquid soaps) They certainly do keep the pipes
cleaner as they don't form a fatty scum.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote:
Martin Bonner wrote in
:

DerbyBorn wrote:
I wouldn't change the plumbing - just abolish the use of solid bars
of soap and only use liquid hand-wash type of stuff and use a
weekly dose of Domestos.

What difference does the liquid soap make? We only ever buy that
now, because it's much easier to use, and doesn't make all the bath
bubbles disappear (yes, I'm a big softy that likes bubbles). Does it
also keep the plumbing cleaner? That would be nice.

Maybe liquid soap doesn't form as much scum in hard water?

Bar soap is made from Fat and this causes scum (remember tide marks - a
thing of the past with liquid soaps) They certainly do keep the pipes
cleaner as they don't form a fatty scum.

Agreed. If you want the bar but not the soap, Dove is worth considering.

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

/Bar soap is made from Fat and this causes scum (remember tide marks - a
thing of the past with liquid soaps) They certainly do keep the pipes
cleaner as they don't form a fatty scum. /Q

Oh? What's liquid soap made from?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

JimK wrote in news:5cbb5e2f-2525-42d4-88f5-
:

/Bar soap is made from Fat and this causes scum (remember tide marks - a
thing of the past with liquid soaps) They certainly do keep the pipes
cleaner as they don't form a fatty scum. /Q

Oh? What's liquid soap made from?

Jim K

Detergents. Not fats.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
JimK wrote:
/Bar soap is made from Fat and this causes scum (remember tide marks - a
thing of the past with liquid soaps) They certainly do keep the pipes
cleaner as they don't form a fatty scum. /Q

Oh? What's liquid soap made from?

It usually includes a nasty substance "sodium laurel sulphate" to which
many people are allergic - but don't realise it.

--
Please note new email address:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 18 Sep 2015 09:37:21 +0100, Stephen
wrote:

[...]

I can't believe the heavy basin is stuck to the wall, especially as
the gunk is tacky. Probably just to fill the gaps. My old fashioned
basin has metal brackets screwed into the wall to hold the basin, and
I feel sure your basin has screws somewhere invisible, perhaps with
their heads covered with white plugs.
--
Dave W
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/09/15 21:58, Dave W wrote:

I can't believe the heavy basin is stuck to the wall, especially as
the gunk is tacky. Probably just to fill the gaps. My old fashioned
basin has metal brackets screwed into the wall to hold the basin, and
I feel sure your basin has screws somewhere invisible, perhaps with
their heads covered with white plugs.

Likely there'll be a couple of hefty metal brackets screwed to the wall,
one each side. The basin is dropped onto these and there are usually a
couple more screws underneath to prevent it being accidentally knocked
off the brackets.

That's how my basic I installed is attached (with no pedestal).

In fact I fixed the brackets on with M8 stainless stud grouted (with
resin) 3" into the wall as the wall was made of celcon blocks and I did
not trust plugs to withstand that sort of leverage.

Question on plumbing average cost- location New England...For newtoilet and change pedestal plumbing KOS Home Repair 17 March 26th 10 10:37 PM
Sink basins? mo UK diy 8 October 9th 08 08:45 AM
Plastic corner basins? John Stumbles UK diy 8 June 30th 08 07:28 PM
GE Front Loader Washer & Pedestal -- Use Support Pads? Ben Home Repair 5 March 14th 06 07:13 PM
Tiling - before or after basins ? Stephen Judge UK diy 9 July 26th 04 07:07 PM