Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mo Mo is offline

Default Sink basins?

Hi
Basically we need a new sink basin

Haven't had time to go out to the shops yet but we want one with quite a
deep 'hole' - i.e the bit you wash dishes in - are there generally standard
sizes? I had a look on BandQ website and they have them described as 1.0 and
1.5 - in reference to size I guess?

Also which shops offer the best value for this kind of thing? B and Q?
Wickes? Anywhere else?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

mo wrote:
Hi
Basically we need a new sink basin

Haven't had time to go out to the shops yet but we want one with quite a
deep 'hole' - i.e the bit you wash dishes in - are there generally
standard sizes? I had a look on BandQ website and they have them
described as 1.0 and 1.5 - in reference to size I guess?

1 is a single bowl.
1.5 is one single bowl plus a small (half!) bowl.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mo Mo is offline

"Rod" wrote in message
mo wrote:
Hi
Basically we need a new sink basin

Haven't had time to go out to the shops yet but we want one with quite a
deep 'hole' - i.e the bit you wash dishes in - are there generally
standard sizes? I had a look on BandQ website and they have them
described as 1.0 and 1.5 - in reference to size I guess?

1 is a single bowl.
1.5 is one single bowl plus a small (half!) bowl.

Ahh, cheers

Are the basins with a bigger bowl common or is there generally a standard?

Also, I take it its not that much harder to plumb in for 1.5 bowls rather
than 1 (i.e jsut have another pipe going to the smaller one? or are they
connected underneath by the metal anyway?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mo wrote:
"Rod" wrote in message
mo wrote:
Hi
Basically we need a new sink basin

Haven't had time to go out to the shops yet but we want one with
quite a deep 'hole' - i.e the bit you wash dishes in - are there
generally standard sizes? I had a look on BandQ website and they
have them described as 1.0 and 1.5 - in reference to size I guess?

1 is a single bowl.
1.5 is one single bowl plus a small (half!) bowl.

Ahh, cheers

Are the basins with a bigger bowl common or is there generally a
standard?

Bowls tend to be similar in size IME. Don't think a standard exists, they
just seem to be about the same size.

Also, I take it its not that much harder to plumb in for 1.5 bowls
rather than 1 (i.e jsut have another pipe going to the smaller one?
or are they connected underneath by the metal anyway?

The waste connections for 1.5 bowl sinks are more complicated and you will
often find that the height of the waste pipe going out through the wall is
higher than the new waste from the sink. This means another hole through
the wall in some cases.

You might also find that the extra half bowl creates a problem with the
dividing wall of the base units - especially if you have a drawer in the
base unit.

Personally I think Wickes give better overall value than B&Q.

HTH

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7 Oct, 22:57, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:
mo wrote:
"Rod" wrote in message
mo wrote:
[...]

you daft ****. **** of til you know waht you talkabout. you dont need
2 fuken holes for the wast they are link into 1 pipe, duh what a fuken
idiott!!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chas" wrote in message
you daft ****. **** of til you know waht you talkabout. you dont need
2 fuken holes for the wast they are link into 1 pipe, duh what a fuken
idiott!!

hahahahahahaha, i don't know what's funnier, his spelling/grammar or him not
being able to grasp what was being said, or maybe water flows uphill where
he lives

(as it would have to so it could drain through the original hole through the
wall from a 1 bowl sink, a 1.5 bowl sink needing a lower trap due to the
'link' pipe, hence the 2 holes in the wall, of which only one is used, the
other is from the old single sink drain)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

gazz wrote:

"Chas" wrote in message
you daft ****. **** of til you know waht you talkabout. you dont need
2 fuken holes for the wast they are link into 1 pipe, duh what a fuken
idiott!!

hahahahahahaha, i don't know what's funnier, his spelling/grammar or him
not being able to grasp what was being said, or maybe water flows uphill
where he lives

(as it would have to so it could drain through the original hole through
the wall from a 1 bowl sink, a 1.5 bowl sink needing a lower trap due to
the 'link' pipe, hence the 2 holes in the wall, of which only one is
used, the other is from the old single sink drain)

We have a 1.5 bowl sink - with a very poorly designed/fitted waste
system. The main sink waste goes away from the 'hole in the wall' and
joins the waste from the half bowl. The combined waste then goes
diagonally across (under the main sink) to the vertical waste pipe. The
washing machine then joins the pipe. A maze. Has poor flows so tends to
sludge up. The washing machine seems to push water up from the trap -
not so far as to flow into the sink, but enough to smell a bit. This
also leaves very little accessible/usable space in the cupboard.
Unpleasant to take apart and clean and easy to leave a minor leak when
re-assembling - which needs doing all too often. Really must replace
sometime...

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

you daft ****. **** of til you know waht you talkabout. you dont need
2 fuken holes for the wast they are link into 1 pipe, duh what a fuken
idiott!!

Have you ever heard of Spellcheck? Or at least an English dictionary?? Try
"fuken" using one !!!
Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chas wrote:
On 7 Oct, 22:57, "The Medway Handyman"

you daft ****. **** of til you know waht you talkabout. you dont need
2 fuken holes for the wast they are link into 1 pipe, duh what a fuken
idiott!!

Why do I attract all the nutters?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman