Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Jar Openers

Bugger.

I managed to find one hell of a jar opener,
the Culinare One Touch Automatic Jar Opener
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Culinare-Tou.../dp/B003IHUH8M
which does one hell of a job with the
jars that can't be opened by hand.

Not perfect, it's a bugger to put new batterys
in, but that's just a minor nuisance given that
the batterys last for years quite literally.

A much more important problem is that they
don't last forever, I've had two of them fail now.
Culinare have been very good about supplying
a new one, even tho the first one was a few
month outside the stated warranty. That
replacement has now just failed too, again
after about 18 months of use.

But they have just told me that its now a discontinued
product, so they won't be able to replace it when it
fails next time. Presumably the failure rate is too
high to make it a viable product for them.

Going to be interesting to see what happens
when this one fails, I suppose they will just give
me a refund of the original purchase price.

Has anyone found anything like it ?

I have seen what look like chinese copys,
but if the original don't last long, its unlikely
that the copys will even do that well.

I guess I could make something much more
primitive with a couple of those big strap
wrench type things, one for for the body
of the jar and one for the lid. Like
https://www.dropbox.com/s/asj8syxxkn...%2024.jpg?dl=0

I use them for the 600ml straight sided jars
that I put the marmalade and relish in.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nd2wbt64ip...%2008.jpg?dl=0

Guess I should just take more care with when
I put the lids on. Currently I put the lids on
just after I fill the jar with hot contents and
that does see the lids impossible to get off
by hand. I should wait till the cool down a
bit so they don't seal so damned tight.

You can get them off by hand by heating
the jar in the microwave but that's not ideal
for the relish particularly since I prefer it cold.
Just a nuisance tho, its obviously not hard to
plan in advance so it cools off again in the
fridge before you eat the contents with a
newly opened jar.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

tripe and drivel snipped

Yard sales for you old son, for peanuts and in spades.
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...ge/xOp3TjBK71g
http://tinyurl.com/oclnszj

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod Speed wrote:
[...]

I inherited this,
http://tinypic.com/r/2hgffyr/8
It looks tinny and useless but it has never been defeated,it must be the
squeezing action breaking the seal.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"F Murtz" wrote in message
eb.com...
Rod Speed wrote:
[...]

Yeah, I have one of those, but I refill the jars so I don't
want to damage the lids and it damages the lids.

I in fact have a lot fewer lids than jars because it took me
a while to find out that they had discontinued both the
marmalade and relish I liked and got me making my own.
I did wonder about keeping so many jars and using so few
of them until then, and then was damned glad I had kept them.
I must have a couple of hundred of them and only do the
marmalade every couple of years when I can get the local
limes for peanuts straight from the tree. The relish doesn't
have such a long life in jars at least in theory and since I
make it from canned tomatoes, there isn't the same need
to do it at the best time for the price of the local tomatoes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod Speed wrote:
[...]

The Black and Decker mains powered one is robust.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Capitol" wrote in message
o.uk...
Rod Speed wrote:
[...]

Thanks for that, looks like just what I need.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rod Speed wrote:
I managed to find one hell of a jar opener, the Culinare One Touch
Automatic Jar Opener
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Culinare-Tou.../dp/B003IHUH8M
which does one hell of a job with the jars that can't be opened by hand.

Two strap wrenches will open any jar. Cost pennies and don't break down.

--
*Does fuzzy logic tickle? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote
Rod Speed wrote

I managed to find one hell of a jar opener,
the Culinare One Touch Automatic Jar Opener
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Culinare-Tou.../dp/B003IHUH8M
which does one hell of a job with the jars that can't be opened by hand.

Two strap wrenches will open any jar. Cost pennies and don't break down.

But nothing like as convenient to use.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Bugger.

I managed to find one hell of a jar opener,

There's nothing that a few strips of old innertube
wrapped around the relevant bits and a good session of
arm wrestling won't shift. Eventually anyway.

There's an old saying. If you don't use it, you'll
lose it.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

michael adams wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Bugger.

I managed to find one hell of a jar opener,

There's nothing that a few strips of old innertube
wrapped around the relevant bits and a good session of arm wrestling won't
shift. Eventually anyway.

There is in fact plenty that that wont shift.

Including the top on the original Coopers' brewing barrels.

I made my own to do that, basically a slightly tapered
parallel set of 25mm RHS bars welded to the 25mm
RHS workbench/scaffold/cut off saw I used to make
the house with that leaves inner tubes for dead.

There's an old saying. If you don't use it, you'll lose it.

I wasn’t stupid enough to try raising the massive great
5x3x0.5" RHS beams that form the entire N and S 100'
top of the walls that the roof beams are welded to by
arm wrestling either. I used a decent set of shearlegs
and a boat winch.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rod Speed wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote
Rod Speed wrote

I managed to find one hell of a jar opener, the Culinare One Touch
Automatic Jar Opener
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Culinare-Tou.../dp/B003IHUH8M
which does one hell of a job with the jars that can't be opened by
hand.

Two strap wrenches will open any jar. Cost pennies and don't break
down.

But nothing like as convenient to use.

Didn't realise you were a weakling and needed a power tool to open every
jar. I'd have thought you'd have fingers as strong as steel given the
amount of typing you do.

But for the odd jar I can't open by hand the strap wrenches work
perfectly. And can be used for other things too. And don't clutter up the
kitchen with something I might use a couple of times a year.

--
*DOES THE LITTLE MERMAID WEAR AN ALGEBRA?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Dave Plowman (News) wrote
Rod Speed wrote

I managed to find one hell of a jar opener,
the Culinare One Touch Automatic Jar Opener
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Culinare-Tou.../dp/B003IHUH8M
which does one hell of a job with the jars that can't be opened by
hand.

Two strap wrenches will open any jar. Cost pennies and don't break down.

But nothing like as convenient to use.

Didn't realise you were a weakling and needed a power tool to open every
jar.

I don’t, ****wit. I clearly said in what you carefully deleted from the
quoting that I only have a problem with opening just one type of jar.

It isn't the strength of the fingers that are the problem ****wit.

But for the odd jar I can't open by hand
the strap wrenches work perfectly.

Nothing even remotely like perfectly with these jars, ****wit.

And can be used for other things too.

Don’t need them for anything else, ****wit.

And don't clutter up the kitchen with something
I might use a couple of times a year.

I open those jars a hell of a lot more often
than a couple of times a year, ****wit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rod Speed wrote:
But for the odd jar I can't open by hand
the strap wrenches work perfectly.

Nothing even remotely like perfectly with these jars, ****wit.

And can be used for other things too.

Don’t need them for anything else, ****wit.

Of course not. You never do any DIY. Just post to a DIY group.

--
*There are 3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/09/2015 13:12, Rod Speed wrote:
[...]

I have always used a strap spanner, never a problem, and always useful
for D-I_Y.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote
Rod Speed wrote

But for the odd jar I can't open by hand
the strap wrenches work perfectly.

Nothing even remotely like perfectly with these jars, ****wit.

And can be used for other things too.

Don't need them for anything else, ****wit.

Of course not. You never do any DIY.

Done a hell of a lot more DIY than you have ever done, ****wit.

Including building the entire house from scratch on a bare block of land.

And do a hell of a lot more DIY with food etc than you have ever done too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Broadback" wrote in message
[...]

You don’t make your own marmalade and relish.

I never had a problem with commercial
jars either or with those jars with their
original marmalade contents either.

and always useful for D-I_Y.

Hardly ever, just for oil filters.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/09/15 00:53, Rod Speed wrote:
Bugger.

I managed to find one hell of a jar opener,
the Culinare One Touch Automatic Jar Opener
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Culinare-Tou.../dp/B003IHUH8M
which does one hell of a job with the
jars that can't be opened by hand.

snip

A small lever to release the vacuum, then it's easy.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lever-Action...dp/B0001IX9RW/

The method shown here with another of the same sort.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pldjE1WF9OU

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rod Speed wrote:
I managed to find one hell of a jar opener, the Culinare One Touch
Automatic Jar Opener
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Culinare-Tou.../dp/B003IHUH8M
which does one hell of a job with the jars that can't be opened by hand.

Two strap wrenches will open any jar. Cost pennies and don't break down.

Turn the jar upside down and slam the lid down onto a work surface
making sure that the full lid is parallel with the work surface. The lid
will now easily undo.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rod Speed wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote
Rod Speed wrote

But for the odd jar I can't open by hand
the strap wrenches work perfectly.

Nothing even remotely like perfectly with these jars, ****wit.

And can be used for other things too.

Don't need them for anything else, ****wit.

Of course not. You never do any DIY.

Done a hell of a lot more DIY than you have ever done, ****wit.

Including building the entire house from scratch on a bare block of
land.

But don't possess or have need for a strap wrench.

And do a hell of a lot more DIY with food etc than you have ever done
too.

DIY food. Is that eating yourself?

--
*WHAT IF THERE WERE NO HYPOTHETICAL QUESTIONS?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian Caspersz" wrote in message
On 08/09/15 00:53, Rod Speed wrote:
Bugger.

I managed to find one hell of a jar opener,
the Culinare One Touch Automatic Jar Opener
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Culinare-Tou.../dp/B003IHUH8M
which does one hell of a job with the
jars that can't be opened by hand.

snip

A small lever to release the vacuum, then it's easy.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lever-Action...dp/B0001IX9RW/

I have got one of that sort of jar opener, but the problem
is that these lids have a much deeper rim than most and
it doesn’t work with them because of that deep rim.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nd2wbt64ip...%2008.jpg?dl=0

This particular opener doesn’t say what depth of rim it will work on
and they don’t ship here either so I can't even take a punt on that.

The method shown here with another of the same sort.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pldjE1WF9OU

That one looks like it wouldn’t work with my deep rimmed
lids and looks like it might well damage the lids too. I keep
reusing the jars and lids and so can't have the lids damaged.

I've since found that Culinare are still advertising that jar
opener that has failed twice now, so it isn't clear if they
have in fact discontinued it or whether they are telling me
porkys about that and have got sick of warranty claims.
What ads to my suspicion on that is that they haven't
replied to my query about whether they discontinued
it because they can't make them last or if they have
replaced that design with a better one that lasts longer.
But maybe she is just asking someone about that last
question and hasn’t got an answer yet.

I've also found a Hamilton that appears to be identical
in all but the detail of the body and the button made
in the US. Not clear what the story is with that or
whether its any more reliably made.

The Black and Decker looks interesting but its quite expensive.

I'll probably let the jars cool down quite a bit before putting
the lid on so they aren't so hard to get off and hope that sees
the replacement last much longer and monster them if it does
still keep only lasting for a bit more than a year using the
Sale of Goods Act.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote
Dave Plowman (News) wrote
Rod Speed wrote

I managed to find one hell of a jar opener, the Culinare One Touch
Automatic Jar Opener
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Culinare-Tou.../dp/B003IHUH8M
which does one hell of a job with the jars that can't be opened by hand.

Two strap wrenches will open any jar. Cost pennies and don't break down.

Turn the jar upside down and slam the lid down onto a work surface making
sure that the full lid is parallel with the work surface. The lid will now
easily undo.

Too much risk of damaging the jar and lid IMO.

After reading the reviews of the Hamilton and Black and Decker lids off
on Amazon, it looks like the best approach is to let the marmalade and
relish cool down quite a bit before putting the lid on so that I can just
use my hands as I did with the original jars when they had commercial
marmalade in them.

Shouldn’t be hard to automate that with some sort of non contact
thermometer to tell me when to put the lids on once I have worked
out what temperature that needs to be and it should be easy to test
that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Dave Plowman (News) wrote
Rod Speed wrote

But for the odd jar I can't open by hand
the strap wrenches work perfectly.

Nothing even remotely like perfectly with these jars, ****wit.

And can be used for other things too.

Don't need them for anything else, ****wit.

Of course not. You never do any DIY.

Done a hell of a lot more DIY than you have ever done, ****wit.

Including building the entire house from scratch on a bare block of land.

But don't possess or have need for a strap wrench.

There you go, face down in the mud, as always.

I do in fact have a number of them and posted a
picture of the one designed for jar lids too, so you
can't even try claiming that I am lying about that now.

And I have a number of them that do get used for oil filters too.

And do a hell of a lot more DIY with food
etc than you have ever done too.

DIY food. Is that eating yourself?

You never could bull**** your way out of a wet paper bag.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/09/2015 00:56, Rod Speed wrote:

it looks like the best approach is to let the marmalade and
relish cool down quite a bit before putting the lid on so that I can just
use my hands as I did with the original jars when they had commercial
marmalade in them.

Isn't the point of putting the lids on when the contents are hot to
destroy any airborne bacteria? It's the resulting vacuum that gives a
degree of long shelf life.

Commercial manufactures will add all sorts of additives to their
products to promote a long safe shelf life - additives you wouldn't use
yourself in a wholesome DIY recipe.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote
Rod Speed wrote

it looks like the best approach is to let the marmalade and relish cool
down quite a bit before putting the lid on so that I can just use my
hands as I did with the original jars when they had commercial marmalade
in them.

Isn't the point of putting the lids on when the contents are hot to
destroy any airborne bacteria?

No, its primarily to get a decent vacuum seal
so no air etc gets in until you open it to use it.

If you are worried about airborne bacteria getting
in you can obviously put the lids on loose just
after the jar is filled with hot contents, wait until
it has cooled down enough and then seal the jar
with the lid so that you still get a decent vacuum
seal once its cooled down completely but you
can still get the lid off with just your hands like
you always could with the original commercial
marmalade that the jars originally had in them.

It's the resulting vacuum that gives a degree of long shelf life.

Yes, but if you put the lids on loosely initially
and just screw the lids on tightly after its cooled
down quite a bit, you will still get the vacuum
seal you need to get the long shelf life.

Not just long shelf life either, I have found that with
the odd few jars that don’t get a proper vacuum seal,
the ants will find their way inside and take away the
whole damned jar of marmalade eventually.

Commercial manufactures will add all sorts of additives to their products
to promote a long safe shelf life - additives you wouldn't use yourself in
a wholesome DIY recipe.

There were none in the commercial marmalade that I used
to buy. Very high sugar content stuff like marmalade has a
long shelf life in a vacuum sealed container without any.

The recipes claim that the relish wont last all that long
in the jar, but I found that the commercial stuff I used
to buy did last much longer than that and it didn’t
have any preservatives added either. I avoid
preservatives as much as I can with most foods.

I assume the recipes play it safe and assume that
the jars wont be that sterile etc. Mine all go thru
the dishwasher and so are completely sterile,
much more so than stuff washed by hand in
the sink. I store the emptys with the lids on
and the lids are done in the dishwasher too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rod Speed wrote:
But don't possess or have need for a strap wrench.

There you go, face down in the mud, as always.

I do in fact have a number of them and posted a
picture of the one designed for jar lids too, so you
can't even try claiming that I am lying about that now.

Then you should read the instructions. I've had no problem removing the
tightest of lids - even home made jam - with a pair of them.

--
*White with a hint of M42*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote
Rod Speed wrote

But don't possess or have need for a strap wrench.

There you go, face down in the mud, as always.

I do in fact have a number of them and posted a
picture of the one designed for jar lids too, so you
can't even try claiming that I am lying about that now.

Then you should read the instructions.

Don’t need to. Its obvious to anyone but a stupid
union bludger how a strap wrench works.

: I've had no problem removing the tightest of lids
- even home made jam - with a pair of them.

You have no way of knowing if the lids
were anything like as tight as mine, ****wit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rod Speed wrote:
You have no way of knowing if the lids
were anything like as tight as mine, ****wit.

'Not knowing' has never stopped you commenting on anything. Like Lidl.

But I'll bet you 1000 quid I'll remove any jam jar lid without needing
some fancy opener.

--
*Men are from Earth, women are from Earth. Deal with it.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rod Speed wrote:
You have no way of knowing if the lids
were anything like as tight as mine, ****wit.

'Not knowing' has never stopped you commenting on anything. Like Lidl.

But I'll bet you 1000 quid I'll remove any jam jar lid without needing
some fancy opener.

Does a needle count as fancy?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article om,
dennis@home wrote:
In article ,
Rod Speed wrote:
You have no way of knowing if the lids
were anything like as tight as mine, ****wit.

'Not knowing' has never stopped you commenting on anything. Like Lidl.

But I'll bet you 1000 quid I'll remove any jam jar lid without needing
some fancy opener.

Does a needle count as fancy?

If you mean by that to break the vacuum, makes the jar of no further use.

--
*No I haven't stolen it , I'm just a **** driver*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
Does a needle count as fancy?

If you mean by that to break the vacuum, makes the jar of no further use.

Something worth trying for right handed people is this. Most right handed
people have much weaker left hands which is what a righty normally has to
grip the lid with. The wrist angles just don't work the other way. However
if you turn the jar upside down, hold the jar with the left hand and the lid
with the right you get a better grip on the lid until the seal is cracked
and then turn it right way up again to finish off.
--
Dave Baker

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote
Rod Speed wrote

You have no way of knowing if the lids
were anything like as tight as mine, ****wit.

I'll remove any jam jar lid without needing some fancy opener.

Yes, a pair of strap wrenches will do it, but its
much more convenient to use something better.

Its not that convenient to use a pair of strap
wrenches with lids that are on that tight,
essentially because without something
to hold the jar, the damned thing falls
over as you attempt to apply enough
force and it can be hard to stop the
strap wrench on the lid from coming
off the lid before it gets the lid off.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Baker wrote

Something worth trying for right handed people is this. Most right handed
people have much weaker left hands which is what a righty normally has to
grip the lid with. The wrist angles just don't work the other way. However
if you turn the jar upside down, hold the jar with the left hand and the
lid with the right you get a better grip on the lid until the seal is
cracked and then turn it right way up again to finish off.

The problem isn't actually gripping the lid, particularly when
you use rubber gloves to allow a better grip, its not being able
to apply enough force to shift the lid with the worst of them.

And the problem isn't not being strong enough because the
jars were easy to open with their original commercial contents.

Clearly the problem is putting the lids on with the contents too
hot with quite large jars that do end up with a lot of friction
between the lid and the jar when the lids are applied with
the contents too hot.

The fix is obvious, don't screw the lids on tight with the
contents that hot, wait for them to cool down some but
not completely room temp so they do still vacuum seal.

And trivially easy to experiment with that temperature.

Can Openers (O/T?) Chade UK diy 23 March 1st 13 02:43 PM
I hate can openers!! steamer Metalworking 21 March 28th 11 03:09 AM
Update: Tin / Can openers. T i m UK diy 5 April 24th 10 10:27 AM
Tin / can openers? T i m UK diy 102 April 20th 10 02:14 PM
Tin openers Tim Decker UK diy 55 September 21st 08 03:06 PM