Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Replacing services to the property

Hi All,
We're having the front of our house re-modelled including new garage,
front extension, roof and so on.
It's a delightful 70's beast. so BT wire must be getting on. Next door
neighbour recently had to have his pavement to house BT wire replaced so
while the excavation is going is there a chance BT might want to replace
wires before the groundworks are completed?

Also the black PVC water pipe (yet to be found unlike the mains cable
which has been "found" 3 times) is it worth getting a run of blue pipe
in place or is it likely to be curled up sticking out of the wall for
the next 10 years like many of the houses round our way never to be
connected by the water-board.

Anything else that might be worth considering while we're excavating?

Cheers
Pete
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/07/15 10:56, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
Hi All,
We're having the front of our house re-modelled including new garage,
front extension, roof and so on.
It's a delightful 70's beast. so BT wire must be getting on. Next door
neighbour recently had to have his pavement to house BT wire replaced so
while the excavation is going is there a chance BT might want to replace
wires before the groundworks are completed?

Also the black PVC water pipe (yet to be found unlike the mains cable
which has been "found" 3 times) is it worth getting a run of blue pipe
in place or is it likely to be curled up sticking out of the wall for
the next 10 years like many of the houses round our way never to be
connected by the water-board.

1st ring the water company - around here they say they will connect a
new pipe for free if you present the pipe and the trench to the edge of
your property.

And yes - you can put in a larger bore pipe for better flow (equiv to
22mm copper bore).

Anything else that might be worth considering while we're excavating?

Few flexi-ducts here and there where you *might* want to take power or
network (eg CCTV) cables one day?

Cheers
Pete

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"www.GymRatZ.co.uk" wrote in message
Hi All,
We're having the front of our house re-modelled including new garage,
front extension, roof and so on.
It's a delightful 70's beast. so BT wire must be getting on. Next door
neighbour recently had to have his pavement to house BT wire replaced so
while the excavation is going is there a chance BT might want to replace
wires before the groundworks are completed?

Also the black PVC water pipe (yet to be found unlike the mains cable
which has been "found" 3 times) is it worth getting a run of blue pipe
in place or is it likely to be curled up sticking out of the wall for
the next 10 years like many of the houses round our way never to be
connected by the water-board.

Anything else that might be worth considering while we're excavating?

The water main is likely to be about 30 inches down, and this is where a new
one will have to be laid if you wish to go down this route.
Unless you've got mains pressure problems, it's probably not worth
bothering.

It's unlikely BT will replace anything free of charge unless it's damaged,
and even then you can expect them to blame you and charge you for it because
they are nice like that.

As Tim said, run some ducting here and there.

The gas main is usually a lot higher up, sometimes yellow but not always so
keep an eye out for it

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/07/2015 10:56, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
Hi All,
We're having the front of our house re-modelled including new garage,
front extension, roof and so on.
It's a delightful 70's beast. so BT wire must be getting on. Next door
neighbour recently had to have his pavement to house BT wire replaced so
while the excavation is going is there a chance BT might want to replace
wires before the groundworks are completed?

Also the black PVC water pipe (yet to be found unlike the mains cable
which has been "found" 3 times) is it worth getting a run of blue pipe
in place or is it likely to be curled up sticking out of the wall for
the next 10 years like many of the houses round our way never to be
connected by the water-board.

Anything else that might be worth considering while we're excavating?

Cheers
Pete

Ducting for things like Christmas lights if you want them on any
trees/bushes

Ducting for Virgin Media if you have it in the area and are not
connected to it, but might want it later

Ducting for anything else you might want to run cables to/from!

--
Toby...
Remove your pants to reply

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Watts writes:
[...]

Thames Water wanted £250 (or was it £750, can't recall for sure),
and to inspect the trench before it was backfilled. Couldn't be bothered,
and just joined the MDPE to the lead at the front garden wall.

A couple of years later, the lead under the road burst - half was already
MDPE, and they replaced the other half. Was a bit ****ed that they only
buried it 14" below the road surface. There's now just 6" of lead pipe
left between the stopcock on the pavement and the garden wall. (Not my
house, BTW, or I would have kicked up some fuss about buring it only
14" below the road surface, particularly when I had buried across the
front garden much deeper.)

And yes - you can put in a larger bore pipe for better flow (equiv to
22mm copper bore).

Yes, 32mm MDPE, IIRC.

Anything else that might be worth considering while we're excavating?

Few flexi-ducts here and there where you *might* want to take power or
network (eg CCTV) cables one day?

Garden/Gatepost lights, detector for visitors, etc.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/07/2015 10:56, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:

Anything else that might be worth considering while we're excavating?

Thanks for the ideas.
I'm a bit of a one for adding in cables and stuff for the "just in case"
jobs that don't get any further than cables curled in in the corners of
rooms.
:¬)

Cable conduit(s) especially for driveway lights and perhaps a cat5 or 2
is a good idea.

If they "find" the water pipe I might do that with bigger blue stuff as
I ran the water feed through the hose in 22mm when I re-plumbed
everything so that could be beneficial.

Cheers
Pete