Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Replacing services to the property

In article ,
Tim Watts writes:
On 06/07/15 10:56, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
Hi All,
We're having the front of our house re-modelled including new garage,
front extension, roof and so on.
It's a delightful 70's beast. so BT wire must be getting on. Next door
neighbour recently had to have his pavement to house BT wire replaced so
while the excavation is going is there a chance BT might want to replace
wires before the groundworks are completed?

Also the black PVC water pipe (yet to be found unlike the mains cable
which has been "found" 3 times) is it worth getting a run of blue pipe
in place or is it likely to be curled up sticking out of the wall for
the next 10 years like many of the houses round our way never to be
connected by the water-board.

1st ring the water company - around here they say they will connect a
new pipe for free if you present the pipe and the trench to the edge of
your property.

Thames Water wanted £250 (or was it £750, can't recall for sure),
and to inspect the trench before it was backfilled. Couldn't be bothered,
and just joined the MDPE to the lead at the front garden wall.

A couple of years later, the lead under the road burst - half was already
MDPE, and they replaced the other half. Was a bit ****ed that they only
buried it 14" below the road surface. There's now just 6" of lead pipe
left between the stopcock on the pavement and the garden wall. (Not my
house, BTW, or I would have kicked up some fuss about buring it only
14" below the road surface, particularly when I had buried across the
front garden much deeper.)

And yes - you can put in a larger bore pipe for better flow (equiv to
22mm copper bore).

Yes, 32mm MDPE, IIRC.

Anything else that might be worth considering while we're excavating?

Few flexi-ducts here and there where you *might* want to take power or
network (eg CCTV) cables one day?

Garden/Gatepost lights, detector for visitors, etc.

--
Andrew Gabriel