Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Duff Wickes 45A shower ceiling switch

A 45A celing isolation switch for a shower that I got from Wickes last week
seems faulty. It is very stiff and sometimes doesn't switch from on to off.

I'm wondering if simply getting Wickes to replace it will solve the problem
- of if I should opt for a totally different make.

Jim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 27 June 2015 11:45:40 UTC+1, Jim x321x wrote:
A 45A celing isolation switch for a shower that I got from Wickes last week
seems faulty. It is very stiff and sometimes doesn't switch from on to off.

I'm wondering if simply getting Wickes to replace it will solve the problem
- of if I should opt for a totally different make.

Get your money back and get one of a decent make.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim x321x wrote:
A 45A celing isolation switch for a shower that I got from Wickes last week
seems faulty. It is very stiff and sometimes doesn't switch from on to off.

I'm wondering if simply getting Wickes to replace it will solve the problem
- of if I should opt for a totally different make.

Jim

Seems to be the norm for all the cheap ones. I found dismantling it and
fettling the plastic plus some grease worked for one of mine.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Capitol writes:
Jim x321x wrote:
A 45A celing isolation switch for a shower that I got from Wickes last week
seems faulty. It is very stiff and sometimes doesn't switch from on to off.

I'm wondering if simply getting Wickes to replace it will solve the problem
- of if I should opt for a totally different make.

Jim

Seems to be the norm for all the cheap ones. I found dismantling it and
fettling the plastic plus some grease worked for one of mine.

A shower switch is a case where you really do need to get a good quality
one which doesn't self-head to destruction. However, even a good one
will self heat to destruction if the workmanship of the wiring connections
is anything less than perfect.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

.....but aren't they intended for occassional use to isolate the shower and
not for routine switching? I would think you could pull them off the
ceiling if used frequently.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote in
2.236:

....but aren't they intended for occassional use to isolate the shower
and not for routine switching? I would think you could pull them off
the ceiling if used frequently.

Rightly or wrongly, in my previous house, I used to use the isolation
switch to switch the shower on and off every time! My rationale was that
it's cheaper to wear out an £8 isolation switch than the rotary switch on
the shower unit, which, if broken, would probably require the replacement
of the entire shower unit. I also liked doing it that way because by the
time I got into the shower cubicle the water was already running at the
desired temperature.

Apart from shortening the life of the isolation switch, is there any known
reason why one should not do this?

Anyway, I took the duff Wickes' switch back and got one from B&Q instead.
The B&Q one cost £1 more, but it works perfectly. The B&Q switch looks
identical to the Wickes one (apart from the packaging), so it may even have
come from the same factory.

Jim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/06/15 20:46, AL_n wrote:
DerbyBorn wrote in
2.236:

....but aren't they intended for occassional use to isolate the shower
and not for routine switching? I would think you could pull them off
the ceiling if used frequently.

Rightly or wrongly, in my previous house, I used to use the isolation
switch to switch the shower on and off every time! My rationale was that
it's cheaper to wear out an £8 isolation switch than the rotary switch on
the shower unit, which, if broken, would probably require the replacement
of the entire shower unit. I also liked doing it that way because by the
time I got into the shower cubicle the water was already running at the
desired temperature.

Apart from shortening the life of the isolation switch, is there any known
reason why one should not do this?

For some particular design you might deprive the shower of a controlled
cool down cycle - but this is likely to be a feature of a modern
computer controlled unit, not an older simpler shower.

In short, if the water runs with the power off, it's almost certainly OK.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28 Jun 2015 19:46:55 GMT, AL_n wrote:

DerbyBorn wrote in
2.236:

....but aren't they intended for occassional use to isolate the shower
and not for routine switching? I would think you could pull them off
the ceiling if used frequently.

Rightly or wrongly, in my previous house, I used to use the isolation
switch to switch the shower on and off every time! My rationale was that
it's cheaper to wear out an £8 isolation switch than the rotary switch on
the shower unit, which, if broken, would probably require the replacement
of the entire shower unit. I also liked doing it that way because by the
time I got into the shower cubicle the water was already running at the
desired temperature.

Apart from shortening the life of the isolation switch, is there any known
reason why one should not do this?

I've been doing it, with an MK switch, for several years and the switch
seems to be OK.

--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 28 Jun 2015 20:50:40 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

On 28/06/15 20:46, AL_n wrote:
DerbyBorn wrote in
2.236:

[...]

Turn to Cold just before the end of the shower, switch off by pull switch.
The switch is just outside Zone 1 and round a corner - within reach of a
long arm but away from spray.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

When I had an electric shower, I really wished I could buy a unit that I
could install in the loft or under the bath as it would have made
installing a lot easier and such a unit wouldn't need to compromise
robustness by trying to look stylish and compact. I believe you can get
them now.