Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Duff Wickes 45A shower ceiling switch

On 28/06/15 20:46, AL_n wrote:
DerbyBorn wrote in
2.236:

....but aren't they intended for occassional use to isolate the shower
and not for routine switching? I would think you could pull them off
the ceiling if used frequently.

Rightly or wrongly, in my previous house, I used to use the isolation
switch to switch the shower on and off every time! My rationale was that
it's cheaper to wear out an £8 isolation switch than the rotary switch on
the shower unit, which, if broken, would probably require the replacement
of the entire shower unit. I also liked doing it that way because by the
time I got into the shower cubicle the water was already running at the
desired temperature.

Apart from shortening the life of the isolation switch, is there any known
reason why one should not do this?

For some particular design you might deprive the shower of a controlled
cool down cycle - but this is likely to be a feature of a modern
computer controlled unit, not an older simpler shower.

In short, if the water runs with the power off, it's almost certainly OK.