Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Copper olives

Are they any better than brass in situations where alignment is less
than perfect, or the pipe is slightly deformed, or is of an old
standard with slightly different and non-standadr O.D. as some 1/2"
pipe seems to be?

--
Windmill, Use t m i l l
J.R.R. Tolkien:- @ S c o t s h o m e . c o m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/06/15 17:33, Windmill wrote:
Are they any better than brass in situations where alignment is less
than perfect, or the pipe is slightly deformed, or is of an old
standard with slightly different and non-standadr O.D. as some 1/2"
pipe seems to be?

I've used both. Brass is of course hard to do up, but is a must (IMHO at
least) on chromed pipe to ensure it bites.

For the most part I stick with brass. But you may have a point - copper
might be a little more forgiving being softer.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/06/2015 19:12, Tim Watts wrote:
On 14/06/15 17:33, Windmill wrote:
Are they any better than brass in situations where alignment is less
than perfect, or the pipe is slightly deformed, or is of an old
standard with slightly different and non-standadr O.D. as some 1/2"
pipe seems to be?

I've used both. Brass is of course hard to do up, but is a must (IMHO at
least) on chromed pipe to ensure it bites.

For the most part I stick with brass. But you may have a point - copper
might be a little more forgiving being softer.

I have a small stock of copper olives.

When fitting a chrome towel radiator recently I found the copper olives
supplied with the (crap) valves didn't allow a watertight seal. On
examining the olives I found then much thinner than those in my stock of
copper olives. Replacing the olives with thicker/wider ones allowed a
satisfactory joint to be made.

The quality of the olive is equally important.

I will be replacing the valves soon when I remove the radiator to tile
behind it.

olives: brass or copper Fred UK diy 9 October 1st 13 02:05 PM
olives: copper or brass? Stephen[_2_] UK diy 10 November 8th 08 04:43 PM
Olives [email protected] UK diy 1 October 5th 07 09:16 PM
Olives [email protected] UK diy 0 September 24th 07 09:49 PM
Olives [email protected] UK diy 0 September 24th 07 09:21 PM