Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default olives: copper or brass?

Hello,

Which are best: copper olives or brass olives (and why) or isn't there
any difference?

Thanks,
Stephen.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 05 Nov 2008 12:37:35 GMT, Stephen
wrote:

Which are best: copper olives or brass olives (and why) or isn't there
any difference?

I forgot to say that the only thing I have found so far is a statement
in the wiki faq that applies to using chrome plated pipe, which says:

"If using a compression fitting a brass olive is preferable to a
copper one since the olive has to slightly compress the pipe work to
secure the fitting and the chrome may be too hard for a soft copper
olive to achieve the necessary pressure."

But for plain copper pipe, is there any difference?

Thanks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 05 Nov 2008 12:41:34 +0000, Stephen wrote:

But for plain copper pipe, is there any difference?

Prolly not much: I tend to prefer copper olives on copper pipe as I figure
the brass ones are more likely to distort the pipe whereas the copper ones
will squash themselves as well as the pipe, if they're overtightened a
bit. But in practice it's not usually an issue (except for compression
joints on fully-annealed pipe e.g. microbore, which is the dveil's own
work).

--
YAPH http://yaph.co.uk

A stitch in time saves nine. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stephen" wrote in message
Hello,

Which are best: copper olives or brass olives (and why) or isn't there
any difference?

Copper olives are for when there may be disconnection and the old olive
easily removed and a new olive fitted. Difficult to do with brass as they
may dig into the copper pipe, unless you have an olive remover. Makers
always stipulate that new olives are fitted after disconnection.

With modern thread sealants this now appears a little out of date. But,
makers say do not use any tape or sealing compound. With quality
compression fittings and pipe not using compound can make a good seal, but
most sold are not high quality fittings.

Plastic pipe companies vary. Some say copper olives, some say brass.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message

"Stephen" wrote in message
Hello,

Which are best: copper olives or brass olives (and why) or isn't there
any difference?

Copper olives are for when there may be disconnection and the old olive
easily removed and a new olive fitted. Difficult to do with brass as they
may dig into the copper pipe, unless you have an olive remover. Makers
always stipulate that new olives are fitted after disconnection.

With modern thread sealants this now appears a little out of date. But,
makers say do not use any tape or sealing compound. With quality
compression fittings and pipe not using compound can make a good seal, but
most sold are not high quality fittings.

Plastic pipe companies vary. Some say copper olives, some say brass.

Also, brass are more suitable for higher water pressures, as the brass olive
digs into the pipe and less liable to blow the fitting off the pipe - I have
seen that a few times.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Stephen writes:
Hello,

Which are best: copper olives or brass olives (and why) or isn't there
any difference?

If you're best man at a wedding and you want to do the trick
with dropping the rings or flinging them across the church
accidently as you yank your hankerchief out of your pocket,
you have to use 22mm brass ones. Copper ones don't sound
anything like genuine gold rings as they go bouncing across
the stone floor and fall through a grating.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 00:37:47 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

If you're best man at a wedding and you want to do the trick
with dropping the rings or flinging them across the church
accidently as you yank your hankerchief out of your pocket,
you have to use 22mm brass ones. Copper ones don't sound
anything like genuine gold rings as they go bouncing across
the stone floor and fall through a grating.

Heh! Bit past it for my circle of friends but sounds good. But 22mm?
That's American fingers, innit? :-)

--
John Stumbles

I'm more non-competitive than you
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "Doctor Drivel" contains these words:

Copper olives are for when there may be disconnection and the old olive
easily removed and a new olive fitted. Difficult to do with brass as they
may dig into the copper pipe, unless you have an olive remover.

An olive puller is worth every penny. And yes, they do work.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Appin" wrote in message
The message
from "Doctor Drivel" contains these words:

Copper olives are for when there may be disconnection and the old olive
easily removed and a new olive fitted. Difficult to do with brass as
they
may dig into the copper pipe, unless you have an olive remover.

An olive puller is worth every penny. And yes, they do work.

For disconnection it is difficult at times to get an olive puller in, while
a copper olive can be easily prised off.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Appin" wrote in message
The message
from "Doctor Drivel" contains these words:

Copper olives are for when there may be disconnection and the old olive
easily removed and a new olive fitted. Difficult to do with brass as
they
may dig into the copper pipe, unless you have an olive remover.

An olive puller is worth every penny. And yes, they do work.

If you do the joint correctly you can pull the olives off with some pliers
without damaging the pipe.
I removed 10 22 mm ones on Saturday that had been on my heating for 25 years
and put in some new pipe work.
Only one of them were stuck and that was probably my fault as I had put a
turn onto the nut before I realised I was going the wrong way.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Stumbles writes:
On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 00:37:47 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

If you're best man at a wedding and you want to do the trick
with dropping the rings or flinging them across the church
accidently as you yank your hankerchief out of your pocket,
you have to use 22mm brass ones. Copper ones don't sound
anything like genuine gold rings as they go bouncing across
the stone floor and fall through a grating.

Heh! Bit past it for my circle of friends but sounds good. But 22mm?
That's American fingers, innit? :-)

It was definitely better. A couple of us, dressed in top hats
and tails, tried quite a few out in the plumber's merchants
on the way to the church...

--
Andrew Gabriel

Brass Hose Bid to Copper? Tube Audio Home Repair 3 March 1st 08 12:28 AM
Copper or brass wire mesh N Cook Electronics Repair 14 August 1st 07 08:23 PM
copper to brass Metalworking 6 April 2nd 06 08:58 AM
cleaning brass/copper [email protected] Metalworking 10 February 6th 06 11:27 PM
CDN suggestions for copper and brass. Gino Woodworking 6 December 18th 04 07:30 PM