Gino

Default CDN suggestions for copper and brass.

I can find brass but brass rod of 1/8 to 1/4" is tough since my supplier moved
out of town.
Soft copper wire (like household wire) is driving me nuts.
I just can't buy bare wire in 1/8" or heavier.
I'm tired of stripping the stuff.
Anyone have any ideas where to look for BARE copper wire.
Winding wire is out because it is coated.

I use a far bit of these in my box making.

Lead as well. I can't find it in sheets of any size at all.
I still have a bit of an old 18" wide roll left but have no idea of where to
find more.

Donald Guzzetta

you can still get lead sheeting, it is used all the time in xray rooms for
sheilding, here is one site or you can google lots of sites

http://www.abmlead.com/Product.html

. ..

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 18:01:32 -0800, Gino wrote:

I can find brass but brass rod of 1/8 to 1/4" is tough since my supplier moved
out of town.
Soft copper wire (like household wire) is driving me nuts.
I just can't buy bare wire in 1/8" or heavier.
I'm tired of stripping the stuff.
Anyone have any ideas where to look for BARE copper wire.
Winding wire is out because it is coated.

I use a far bit of these in my box making.

Lead as well. I can't find it in sheets of any size at all.
I still have a bit of an old 18" wide roll left but have no idea of where to
find more.

Go to your local hobby shop. They usually carry brass sheet, strip and
rod and the rod goes up to at least 1/8th.

Alternatively, check out a knifemakers supply house.

--RC

Projects expand to fill the clamps available -- plus 20 percent
Bill Stock

"Gino" wrote in message

I can find brass but brass rod of 1/8 to 1/4" is tough since my supplier

moved
out of town.
Soft copper wire (like household wire) is driving me nuts.
I just can't buy bare wire in 1/8" or heavier.
I'm tired of stripping the stuff.
Anyone have any ideas where to look for BARE copper wire.
Winding wire is out because it is coated.

I use a far bit of these in my box making.

Lead as well. I can't find it in sheets of any size at all.
I still have a bit of an old 18" wide roll left but have no idea of where

find more.

You might try a scrapper. My Grandfather used to repair electric motors and
I remember him burning the coating of the windings before sending them off
to the scrapper. It seems to me he also had to clean them up before they got
turned in. So someone has already done the stripping work for you.

Gino

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 10:48:18 -0500, "Bill Stock" wrote:

"Gino" wrote in message
.. .

I can find brass but brass rod of 1/8 to 1/4" is tough since my supplier

moved
out of town.
Soft copper wire (like household wire) is driving me nuts.
I just can't buy bare wire in 1/8" or heavier.
I'm tired of stripping the stuff.
Anyone have any ideas where to look for BARE copper wire.
Winding wire is out because it is coated.

I use a far bit of these in my box making.

Lead as well. I can't find it in sheets of any size at all.
I still have a bit of an old 18" wide roll left but have no idea of where

find more.

You might try a scrapper. My Grandfather used to repair electric motors and
I remember him burning the coating of the windings before sending them off
to the scrapper.

Not here. It would bring serious fines to burn coatings off wire. Believe me if
it was legal I'd do it myself.

It seems to me he also had to clean them up before they got
turned in. So someone has already done the stripping work for you.

My local scrap yard is a gold mine for copper sheet, tin, etc, but BIG copper
wire stripped, brass rod, and anything lead is real scarce.

Bill Stock

"Gino" wrote in message
On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 10:48:18 -0500, "Bill Stock" wrote:

"Gino" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

It probably wan't legal then either. But living in the country, where the
nearest neigbours are your children has it's advantages.