Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fuel pump, ride on mower

Old laser mower with Kohler 18hp twin.

Now have sparks (new plugs) but no fuel. No obvious blockages, suspect
mechanical pump diaphragm. Spares don't seem to be readily available, is
there any obvious reason why a cheap electrical pump like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12v-Univer...em33a123 75d0

would not work? Similar engines sometimes use a vacuum pump, might that
be a better option? (Can't immediately spot a vacuum take-off point).

TIA
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/06/2015 17:17, newshound wrote:
Old laser mower with Kohler 18hp twin.

Now have sparks (new plugs) but no fuel. No obvious blockages, suspect
mechanical pump diaphragm. Spares don't seem to be readily available, is
there any obvious reason why a cheap electrical pump like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12v-Univer...em33a123 75d0

would not work? Similar engines sometimes use a vacuum pump, might that
be a better option? (Can't immediately spot a vacuum take-off point).

For the cost, why not.

My limited experience on one not too dissimilar pump is that the
pressure was on the high side. With perhaps a slightly leaky float
valve(?) I had some over-fuelling/flooding issues.

YMMV
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/06/2015 18:53, Fredxxx wrote:
On 14/06/2015 17:17, newshound wrote:
Old laser mower with Kohler 18hp twin.

Now have sparks (new plugs) but no fuel. No obvious blockages, suspect
mechanical pump diaphragm. Spares don't seem to be readily available, is
there any obvious reason why a cheap electrical pump like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12v-Univer...em33a123 75d0

would not work? Similar engines sometimes use a vacuum pump, might that
be a better option? (Can't immediately spot a vacuum take-off point).

For the cost, why not.

My limited experience on one not too dissimilar pump is that the
pressure was on the high side. With perhaps a slightly leaky float
valve(?) I had some over-fuelling/flooding issues.

YMMV

Thanks, that was my unease too. Perhaps I ought to add a Tee with a
return to the tank, and use an adjustable clip on the return hose to let
me control the pressure.