Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dishwasher hatred

The %^&#@! dishwasher that has sucked up hours of my time is at it
again.

This time, the main symptom is that the pump that forces the water
through the rotors no longer does so continuously, but intermittently.

It goes: dsshhhhhhh - dssshhhh - dsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh - dshsss -
dshhhhh.

It rarely pumps continuously for more than a couple of seconds. It's as
though the power to the pump were being disconnected momentarily at
random intervals.

I guess it could be a bad connection, but I wonder if it's more likely a
fault in the controller board.

Could it be a bad pump?

I'm loath to give up on this damn thing, partly because I have little
confidence in finding a new one that's compatible with a six-year-old
IKEA dishwasher front panel, and partly because I have spent so much
time and effort on it already.

Thanks,

Daniele
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 10 Jun 2015 19:03:36 +0100, D.M. Procida wrote:

The %^&#@! dishwasher that has sucked up hours of my time is at it
again.

This time, the main symptom is that the pump that forces the water
through the rotors no longer does so continuously, but intermittently.

It goes: dsshhhhhhh - dssshhhh - dsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh - dshsss -
dshhhhh.

It rarely pumps continuously for more than a couple of seconds. It's as
though the power to the pump were being disconnected momentarily at
random intervals.

I guess it could be a bad connection, but I wonder if it's more likely a
fault in the controller board.

Could it be a bad pump?

Or something (bit of food) stuck in the pump. On our Bosch ones (we've
had two [1]) there is a panel you can remove to get to the impeller
blades.

[1] The first one *did* last 14 years.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, June 10, 2015 at 7:03:40 PM UTC+1, D.M. Procida wrote:
[...]

Could it be as simple as a kinked inlet hose preventing it filling up correctly such that it runs out of water?

Are the filters blocked and need clearing?

Philip
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 10 June 2015 19:47:10 UTC+1, wrote:
[...]

water level too low causes that.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/06/2015 19:03, D.M. Procida wrote:
The %^&#@! dishwasher that has sucked up hours of my time is at it
again.

Try http://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/forums...hwasher-forum/

Not let me down yet.

www.vulcantothesky.org - 2015, the last year to see a Vulcan fly

Posted to uk.d-i-y

D.M. Procida wrote:

The %^&#@! dishwasher that has sucked up hours of my time is at it
again.

This time, the main symptom is that the pump that forces the water
through the rotors no longer does so continuously, but intermittently.

It goes: dsshhhhhhh - dssshhhh - dsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh - dshsss -
dshhhhh.

Fixed it! The clues in this thread helped point me in the right
direction.

There's a rubber hose that goes through 90 degrees to the inlet of the
main pump. It wasn't kinked or blocked, but while checking it I noticed
that constricting it somewhat would make the motor run continuously.

In other words, the motor was stalling when it had less resistance to
deal with.

So I had a good look inside the machine, and realised that one of the
connectors in the water system to the lower rotor had come loose from
its socket, lowering the pressure the pump had to work against.
Reseating that immediately solved the problem.

Thanks for the suggestions. As so often the case, even ones that don't
solve the problem directly provide useful clues.

Daniele