Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default House insurance - again.

Renewal came in from my house insurer that I've been with for perhaps 25
years. Never made a claim of any sort.

I'm happy enough to chop and change insurers with the cars - but do prefer
to have a history with something as valuable as a house. I could replace
the car if it got totalled and no insurance, but not the house.

I'd noted down what I paid last year - both the original amount and the
actual premium after getting their 'loyalty' discount. Which was
substantial.

This renewal was some 8% higher than last year's full amount.

So I phones them up. Asked the very pleasant bloke to look at what I'd
paid last year. And the figure he had was the high quote - not the amount
I'd actually paid after discount.

After simply saying their price was way out of line with all of the
comparison sites, he reduced the premium by over a third to almost exactly
what I'd paid last year. Still quite a bit higher than I could have paid
with a different company, but I decided on balance to stay with them.

--
*It is wrong to ever split an infinitive *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
No Name

[...]

I've just done the same with car insurance - querying the quote and
mentioning a few alternatives saved about 10%. It seems that making a
call is worthwhile for any renewal (especially the AA!)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
[...]

Yep, AA wanted £280 renewal, Halifax was £180.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"bm" wrote in message
web.com...

wrote in message
[...]

And next year, Halifax will want £280 and someone else will be £180.
I change insurers every year without fail.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/05/15 15:45, Phil L wrote:
"bm" wrote in message
web.com...

wrote in message
[...]

LV came up with a renewal quote that even Compare the Meerkat could not
beat (well, not by much, there was one £10 less from an insurer I have
never heard of). So LV got the business again - quite refreshing....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/05/2015 15:45, Phil L wrote:
"bm" wrote in message
web.com...

wrote in message
[...]

Last year I used Halifax. This year they were very slightly higher (I
thought) for a like for like quote. But when I got my statement there
was an extra exorbitant bit for contents, which had been included in the
previous quote. I will not make the same mistake this year! So beware.
Just call me stupid, I never would have made the mistake a few years
ago, but age is creeping up on me in the most unexpected ways.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Renewal came in from my house insurer that I've been with for perhaps 25
years. Never made a claim of any sort.

I'm happy enough to chop and change insurers with the cars - but do prefer
to have a history with something as valuable as a house. I could replace
the car if it got totalled and no insurance, but not the house.

I'd noted down what I paid last year - both the original amount and the
actual premium after getting their 'loyalty' discount. Which was
substantial.

This renewal was some 8% higher than last year's full amount.

On getting a house insurance renewal offer from M&S, I went comparison
shopping and found a twenty quid cheaper quote from... M&S. Rang them
up, they said they couldn't match that, the only way was to take out a
new policy and allow the existing one to lapse. Not only that but when I
accepted the new quote and came to pay, the price had mysteriously
dropped another fiver.

They're bonkers, the lot of them.

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/05/2015 15:56, Tim Watts wrote:
On 29/05/15 15:45, Phil L wrote:
"bm" wrote in message
web.com...

wrote in message
[...]

And their home emergency add-on is pretty good value given that it
covers any boiler that has been serviced within 3 years.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Renewal came in from my house insurer that I've been with for perhaps 25
years. Never made a claim of any sort.

Probably 5 different owners of the company during that time.

I'm happy enough to chop and change insurers with the cars - but do prefer
to have a history with something as valuable as a house. I could replace
the car if it got totalled and no insurance, but not the house.

Why this misplaced loyalty? You say that you have not made a claim so
limited experience of their customer service - except you have seen that
they are prepared to rip you off as a loyal customer with a renewal
quote which wasn't the best price that they were later prepared to offer.

I'd noted down what I paid last year - both the original amount and the
actual premium after getting their 'loyalty' discount. Which was
substantial.

Was the loyalty discount more than the 30% that the same company
probably gives to a new customer?

After simply saying their price was way out of line with all of the
comparison sites, he reduced the premium by over a third to almost exactly
what I'd paid last year. Still quite a bit higher than I could have paid
with a different company, but I decided on balance to stay with them.

If you have never claimed consider what type insurance you really want.
If you are prepared to exclude your own fault accidental damage etc. you
may/will be able to reduce the price even further.

Last year my insurance for £1million building and £50,000 contents was
£130. This week the renewal quote dropped through my letter box - £148
or an increase of around 14% if I chose to accept it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/05/2015 17:31, alan_m wrote:

Last year my insurance for £1million building and £50,000 contents was
£130. This week the renewal quote dropped through my letter box - £148
or an increase of around 14% if I chose to accept it.

And quickly checking the renewal quote again the excess amount has been
raised so its 14% more cash for less of a risk for them. The renewal
cost is NOT a like for like quote with last years policy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 29 May 2015 17:31:40 +0100, alan_m wrote:

Last year my insurance for £1million building and £50,000 contents was
£130. This week the renewal quote dropped through my letter box - £148
or an increase of around 14% if I chose to accept it.

Which company?

That sounds remarkably cheap - does it cover for full accidental damage,
valuables away from home, garden items and proper replacement of matching
items if only one of a set is damaged beyond repair?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/05/2015 17:41, Mark Allread wrote:
On Fri, 29 May 2015 17:31:40 +0100, alan_m wrote:

Last year my insurance for £1million building and £50,000 contents was
£130. This week the renewal quote dropped through my letter box - £148
or an increase of around 14% if I chose to accept it.

Which company?

Direct Line - but last year that was the company that matched my
previous premium from another insurer that I ditched because of the high
renewal quote. My insurance cost have remained virtually static +/- a
few quid in the past 5 years by changing companies when the renewal
quote was uncompetitive.

That sounds remarkably cheap - does it cover for full accidental damage,
valuables away from home, garden items and proper replacement of matching
items if only one of a set is damaged beyond repair?

As I said - if you are prepared to accept certain conditions and accept
the risk yourself for your own accidental damage etc. then the price can
remain very low.

The add-ons from a lot of insurance companies can be overpriced and
purchased cheaper from elsewhere - or you can easily live without them.
These add-ons often are defaulted to be included (at an extra cost)
unless you turn off the option(s). Some people pay twice for the same
add-ons from the car insurance and the house insurance.

In the past, I've found that accepting a £50 higher excess can reduce
the premium by £50 from some companies so again its the amount of risk
that you are prepared to accept yourself that is important. The higher
the excess the less likely you are to make a small claim.

The one for all £0.5/£1 million building and £50K contents policies can
also work out much cheaper than a tailored policy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
says...

[...]

Depends how you look at it.

An insurer does its best to rip off its existing long-term customers.
However, if you jump up & down they will drop the premium just enough to
keep you with them.

Some customers pay the inflated price & increase their profits.
Other customers haggle & get (roughly) the going rate.
Win-win for the insurers who go in for sharp practice.

--
Sam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29 May 2015, Sam Plusnet grunted:

Never assume that all the details you gave to the comparison site were
faithfully transmitted to the insurers & that the insurers took them
into account when creating a quote.

Yeah there are often discrepancies. Plus, if you access the insurer's site
via a cashback site there's aften a decent kickback to be had too - no
point in giving that to the meerkats. I find my preferred insurer via the
comparison sites, then quit, go to topcashback.co.uk, and log in to the
insurera gain from there.

--
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
OTOH sometimes the insurer doesn't even understand their own product.

Them: Got any flat roofs?

Me: Yes:

Them: How much, by percentage?

Me: Percentage of what? Plan area or physical surface area? Do I include
or exclude bays?

Them: ???

:-)

I recall one from many years ago - travel insurance.

Them: I see you list mountain climbing an activity. How high?

Me: How high above the ground, or how high above sea level?

Them: ???

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bob Minchin wrote:
After simply saying their price was way out of line with all of the
comparison sites, he reduced the premium by over a third to almost
exactly what I'd paid last year. Still quite a bit higher than I
could have paid with a different company, but I decided on balance to
stay with them.

I've just done the same with car insurance - querying the quote and
mentioning a few alternatives saved about 10%. It seems that making a
call is worthwhile for any renewal (especially the AA!)

Generally I'd agree but Direct Line won't play ball with this technique
IME

It's DL I'm insured with.

--
*Heart attacks... God's revenge for eating his animal friends

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Dave Plowman (News)
scribeth thus
[...]

Confucius he say,

"If ye don't ask ye don't get";!)...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
tony sayer wrote:
Confucius he say,

"If ye don't ask ye don't get";!)...

They certainly give in a lot more quickly than once.

--
*I don't suffer from insanity -- I'm a carrier

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Bob Minchin wrote:
After simply saying their price was way out of line with all of the
comparison sites, he reduced the premium by over a third to almost
exactly what I'd paid last year. Still quite a bit higher than I
could have paid with a different company, but I decided on balance to
stay with them.

I've just done the same with car insurance - querying the quote and
mentioning a few alternatives saved about 10%. It seems that making a
call is worthwhile for any renewal (especially the AA!)

Generally I'd agree but Direct Line won't play ball with this technique
IME

It's DL I'm insured with.

They must have changed their "policy" It was a few years back that I got
blank refusal to discuss premiums. I've got both cars with SAGA now -
under £200 for both fully comp on separate policies.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/05/2015 22:29, Bob Minchin wrote:
[...]

I think you'll find they have changed that approach: I'm useless at the
insurance game and never seem to find time to do any comparisons.
I called DL this year to renew on the day my car insurance expired, so
no time to do anything else. After sorting the renewal, I was asked if I
was happy with everything. I said it was fine apart from the price,
whereupon I was offered a 10% discount.
Not bad, considering I was over the proverbial barrel....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/05/2015 09:03, Lobster wrote:

I find my preferred insurer via the
comparison sites, then quit, go to topcashback.co.uk, and log in to the
insurera gain from there.

No doubt you're aware, but others may not be... either delete cookies
after quitting the comparison sites and before going to TopCashBack or,
better, use a different browser. Don't do that and you don't get the
cashback.

www.vulcantothesky.org - 2015, the last year to see a Vulcan fly

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Having renewed with my original company after 'negotiating' a discount,
they sent me an email wanting feedback on the transaction. Of course the
questions were mainly about the service I'd had when phoning them, and I
had no complaints about the person I dealt with. But they did also ask
about overall satisfaction, so I told them exactly what I thought about
the practice of giving a large discount if the customer complained enough.

--
*Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

they sent me an email wanting feedback on the transaction.

Three days after some wallpaper was delivered, I was asked by G&B to
review my purchase, do they really expect people to hang the stuff that
quickly?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

they sent me an email wanting feedback on the transaction.

Three days after some wallpaper was delivered, I was asked by G&B to
review my purchase, do they really expect people to hang the stuff that
quickly?

Most of these surveys tend to concentrate on 'service'. Hardly ever the
product or value for money.

And never ever ask a direct question about the one thing which has annoyed
you (if there is one).

--
*If you ate pasta and anti-pasta, would you still be hungry?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/06/2015 08:19, Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

they sent me an email wanting feedback on the transaction.

But there are idiots who post a review to say they've giving 5 stars for
an item that's just arrived but is still in the box.

www.vulcantothesky.org - 2015, the last year to see a Vulcan fly

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
F news@nowhere wrote:
But there are idiots who post a review to say they've giving 5 stars for
an item that's just arrived but is still in the box.

Bit like Ebay feedback where you're expected to give the maximum 5 stars
for just OK. ;-)

--
*Microsoft broke Volkswagen's record: They only made 21.4 million bugs.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Most of these surveys tend to concentrate on 'service'. Hardly ever the
product or value for money.

At work the outsourced IT provider sends out customer satisfaction
survey emails BUT only if the service call results in a relatively fast
fix. If they have real problems no survey form is forthcoming.

Plus -- the survey only asks if the phone was answered quickly, if the
front line service person was polite etc. There is nowhere for any
comment about the sometimes crap overall service they provide.

House Insurance DerbyBorn[_5_] UK diy 5 May 13th 14 08:44 AM
Why house insurance is/will be going up. harryagain UK diy 31 August 13th 12 10:20 PM
House insurance buzz Home Repair 9 July 1st 06 03:51 AM
House insurance m Ransley Home Repair 4 July 1st 06 03:37 AM
What Is The Difference Between Normal House Insurance and Sub-Standard Market Insurance? louie Home Ownership 1 July 24th 05 08:52 PM