Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default [OT] Hatton Garden arrests

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime...-10260986.html

According to Inspector Knacker, 7 white males, aged between 48 and 75
have been arrested.

Wow - the "Geriatric Gang" strikes again...

I'd like to think I could knock off a serious vault when I was 75, but I
would not even be able to get through that hole!

What surprises me is why they are not all in South America by a month ago...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 19 May 2015 16:56:23 UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:
What surprises me is why they are not all in South America by a month ago...

With the collapse in British manufacturing, there's no nowhere to melt the stuff down into Eiffel Tower paper-weights.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Watts writes:
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime...-10260986.html

According to Inspector Knacker, 7 white males, aged between 48 and 75
have been arrested.

Sounds like a uk.d-i-y team event...

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime...-10260986.html

According to Inspector Knacker, 7 white males, aged between 48 and 75 have
been arrested.

This quote from the BBC is better

"a relative of a victim said finding some of the haul could actually make
things worse for those affected, as it could delay insurance pay-outs"

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/05/15 18:50, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Tim Watts writes:
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime...-10260986.html

According to Inspector Knacker, 7 white males, aged between 48 and 75
have been arrested.

Sounds like a uk.d-i-y team event...

And where were you, on or around the 7th April of this year?

Anyway, we know it wasn't you - wouldn't need 7 blokes for a start ;-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/05/2015 16:56, Tim Watts wrote:
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime...-10260986.html

According to Inspector Knacker, 7 white males, aged between 48 and 75
have been arrested.

Wow - the "Geriatric Gang" strikes again...

A number of people commented that it was an old fashioned crime that you
didn't usually see today.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/05/2015 19:26, ARW wrote:
"Tim Watts" wrote in message
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime...-10260986.html

According to Inspector Knacker, 7 white males, aged between 48 and 75
have been arrested.

This quote from the BBC is better

"a relative of a victim said finding some of the haul could actually
make things worse for those affected, as it could delay insurance pay-outs"

It could also make it worse for anybody who would rather the Police
didn't know what they had in their box.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 19 May 2015 19:35:15 +0100, Nightjar "cpb"@ insert my
surname here.me.uk wrote:

On 19/05/2015 16:56, Tim Watts wrote:
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime...-10260986.html

According to Inspector Knacker, 7 white males, aged between 48 and 75
have been arrested.

Wow - the "Geriatric Gang" strikes again...

A number of people commented that it was an old fashioned crime that you
didn't usually see today.

It really seems to have so many of the classic 80s "caper" movie
stereotypes in it that I wonder if they planned it all with the idea
of being immortalised in film like the Great Train Robbers?

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/05/15 00:43, Nightjar "cpb"@ wrote:
On 19/05/2015 19:26, ARW wrote:
"Tim Watts" wrote in message
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime...-10260986.html

According to Inspector Knacker, 7 white males, aged between 48 and 75
have been arrested.

This quote from the BBC is better

"a relative of a victim said finding some of the haul could actually
make things worse for those affected, as it could delay insurance
pay-outs"

It could also make it worse for anybody who would rather the Police
didn't know what they had in their box.

I'm sure that thought has crossed Insp Knacker's mind too...

If the crims are in England in custody and are now identified, I really
would not want to be them now that they've ****ed off several other people.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

surname here.me.uk wrote:

On 19/05/2015 16:56, Tim Watts wrote:
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime...-10260986.html

According to Inspector Knacker, 7 white males, aged between 48 and 75
have been arrested.

Wow - the "Geriatric Gang" strikes again...

A number of people commented that it was an old fashioned crime that you
didn't usually see today.

It really seems to have so many of the classic 80s "caper" movie
stereotypes in it that I wonder if they planned it all with the idea
of being immortalised in film like the Great Train Robbers?

Nick

Apart from the bit about forgetting to bugger off to South America.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/05/15 01:05, Nick Odell wrote:

It really seems to have so many of the classic 80s "caper" movie
stereotypes in it that I wonder if they planned it all with the idea
of being immortalised in film like the Great Train Robbers?

Well, plod are complaining that they've been compared to the Ketstone Kops!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Nick Odell
writes

It really seems to have so many of the classic 80s "caper" movie
stereotypes in it that I wonder if they planned it all with the idea
of being immortalised in film like the Great Train Robbers?

More like The Italian Job, without the Minis :-)
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/05/15 08:19, News wrote:
In message , Nick Odell
writes

It really seems to have so many of the classic 80s "caper" movie
stereotypes in it that I wonder if they planned it all with the idea
of being immortalised in film like the Great Train Robbers?

More like The Italian Job, without the Minis :-)

I said, a week afterwards, when the details of the drill and the
nicknames for the crims were reported: "This'll be a film in a couple of
years..."

Probably involving Sean Connery and Brad Pitt.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 20 May 2015 08:08:55 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

On 20/05/15 08:05, Tim Watts wrote:
On 20/05/15 01:05, Nick Odell wrote:

It really seems to have so many of the classic 80s "caper" movie
stereotypes in it that I wonder if they planned it all with the idea
of being immortalised in film like the Great Train Robbers?

Well, plod are complaining that they've been compared to the Ketstone
Kops!

Keystone...

I thought Ketone read better...or Ketamine...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/05/2015 10:22, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Tue, 19 May 2015 19:35:15 +0100, Nightjar "cpb"@ wrote:

On 19/05/2015 16:56, Tim Watts wrote:
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime...arrests-seven-

men-held-in-raids-in-north-london-10260986.html

According to Inspector Knacker, 7 white males, aged between 48 and 75
have been arrested.

Wow - the "Geriatric Gang" strikes again...

A number of people commented that it was an old fashioned crime that you
didn't usually see today.

Which may have been part of the plan to start with. Most coppers today
wouldn't have any idea of how to deal with a crime like this. Now if the
robbers had insulted someone of no note on Facebook, they'd have been all
over it.

They have already admitted that they failed to follow their protocol on
alarms.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 20/05/2015 08:04, Tim Watts wrote:

I'm sure that thought has crossed Insp Knacker's mind too...

If the crims are in England in custody and are now identified, I really
would not want to be them now that they've ****ed off several other people.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...uck-manor.html

Lovely people, the Adams family, and much maligned in the press.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 20 May 2015 10:52:03 +0100, GB wrote:

On 20/05/2015 08:04, Tim Watts wrote:

I'm sure that thought has crossed Insp Knacker's mind too...

If the crims are in England in custody and are now identified, I really
would not want to be them now that they've ****ed off several other
people.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...arden-raiders-

stole-Britain-s-notorious-crime-family-furious-thieves-struck-manor.html

Lovely people, the Adams family, and much maligned in the press.

A few years ago, someone burgled a local restaurant. They obviously
didn't know it was owned by a member of the Kray family.

Actually, SWMBO's mum (who is downstairs right now) knew Mrs Kray. SWMBO
says it was a very safe area to live (in Tottenham) because of the 'not
on our manor' bit. Safe unless you were in a rival gang of course.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, May 20, 2015 at 10:52:08 AM UTC+1, GB wrote:
On 20/05/2015 08:04, Tim Watts wrote:

I'm sure that thought has crossed Insp Knacker's mind too...

If the crims are in England in custody and are now identified, I really
would not want to be them now that they've ****ed off several other people.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...uck-manor.html

Lovely people, the Adams family, and much maligned in the press.

London where every scaffolding is festooned with alarm signs and fencing, saw one scaffold in a nice square, no alarms or netting, just a small sign "Protected by Adams Security" and a mobile number...

The power of reputation.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/05/15 12:27, Jethro_uk wrote:

Presumably lack of practice ?

Keystone Kops? I did like the comparison!

One wonders if wages snatches will make a comeback ?

Seeing as no one payes wages in cash anymore, I doubt it...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...Hatton-Garden-
raiders-stole-Britain-s-notorious-crime-family-furious-thieves-
struck-manor.html

Lovely people, the Adams family, and much maligned in the press.

Decent criminals ("links to drug trafficking, extortion, hijacking and
large-scale fraud...witness intimidation and connections with
senior police officers and MPs"), and not that grooming teenage
girls scum.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 20 May 2015 16:09:49 +0200, Jake wrote:

GB wrote:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...Hatton-Garden-
raiders-stole-Britain-s-notorious-crime-family-furious-thieves-
struck-manor.html

Lovely people, the Adams family, and much maligned in the press.

Decent criminals ("links to drug trafficking, extortion, hijacking and
large-scale fraud...witness intimidation and connections with senior
police officers and MPs"), and not that grooming teenage girls scum.

I loved one of the newspaper headlines (don't remember which, it was on
the Sky news review last night).

"Diamond Wheezers"
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 20/05/2015 12:35, Tim Watts wrote:
On 20/05/15 12:27, Jethro_uk wrote:

Presumably lack of practice ?

Keystone Kops? I did like the comparison!

One wonders if wages snatches will make a comeback ?

Seeing as no one payes wages in cash anymore, I doubt it...

Banks still seem to use cash. I see armoured vans parked on the pavement
outside. I presume they are not just delivering the stationery.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 20 May 2015 17:09:09 UTC+1, GB wrote:
Seeing as no one payes wages in cash anymore, I doubt it...

Banks still seem to use cash. I see armoured vans parked on the pavement
outside. I presume they are not just delivering the stationery.

They take all the money collected from shops' takings to be sorted (and crumpled notes removed), and then it's delivered back to the banks to fill the cash machines.

Some small shops have self-fulfilled cash machines where the shop takes the money from the till and puts it in their cash machine for the customer to take out and spend it in the shop.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Jethro_uk
writes
On Tue, 19 May 2015 19:35:15 +0100, Nightjar "cpb"@ wrote:

A number of people commented that it was an old fashioned crime that you
didn't usually see today.

Which may have been part of the plan to start with. Most coppers today
wouldn't have any idea of how to deal with a crime like this.

They need Jack Regan :-)
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Nightjar .me.uk" "cpb"@ insert my surname here wrote in message
On 19/05/2015 19:26, ARW wrote:
"Tim Watts" wrote in message
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime...-10260986.html

According to Inspector Knacker, 7 white males, aged between 48 and 75
have been arrested.

This quote from the BBC is better

"a relative of a victim said finding some of the haul could actually
make things worse for those affected, as it could delay insurance
pay-outs"

It could also make it worse for anybody who would rather the Police didn't
know what they had in their box.

I was thinking of those with an empty box (or a box full of trinkets) that
have just sent in their insurance claim in for their missing diamonds.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 20 May 2015 21:17:06 +0100, ARW wrote:

I was thinking of those with an empty box (or a box full of trinkets)
that have just sent in their insurance claim in for their missing
diamonds.

The problem is that most of the owners appear to have been using the safe
boxes instead of having insurance.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/05/2015 20:22, News wrote:
In message , Jethro_uk
writes
On Tue, 19 May 2015 19:35:15 +0100, Nightjar "cpb"@ wrote:

A number of people commented that it was an old fashioned crime that you
didn't usually see today.

Which may have been part of the plan to start with. Most coppers today
wouldn't have any idea of how to deal with a crime like this.

They need Jack Regan :-)

And a bottle of scotch!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nightjar "cpb"@ wrote:

It could also make it worse for anybody who would rather the Police
didn't know what they had in their box.

Seems odd they were found in possession of the haul, but have only been
charged with conspiracy to burgle ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, May 20, 2015 at 11:56:30 PM UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
Nightjar "cpb"@ wrote:

It could also make it worse for anybody who would rather the Police
didn't know what they had in their box.

Seems odd they were found in possession of the haul, but have only been
charged with conspiracy to burgle ...

My client had been collecting diamonds as an infllation hedge for many years, when he was offered a diamond core drill cheap, there was a misunderstanding....

Seriously, diamond marking is a whole thing in itself, they`re all cut like that mate.Is it real , as in mined , or was it pressed out yesterday, nature identical synthetic..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/05/2015 23:56, Andy Burns wrote:
Nightjar "cpb"@ wrote:

It could also make it worse for anybody who would rather the Police
didn't know what they had in their box.

Seems odd they were found in possession of the haul, but have only been
charged with conspiracy to burgle ...

They have to be charged with something if they are to stay in custody.
Conspiracy should be fairly simple to prove, so is a good charge to hold
them on, even so one had to be released on bail. I would be surprised if
further charges were not brought against at least some of them as the
investigation progresses.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nightjar wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Seems odd they were found in possession of the haul, but have only been
charged with conspiracy to burgle ...

I would be surprised if further charges were not brought against at
least some of them as the investigation progresses.

Can they still be interviewed, or does the investigation for other
offences have to continue without further interviews?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/05/2015 07:07, Andy Burns wrote:
Nightjar wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Seems odd they were found in possession of the haul, but have only been
charged with conspiracy to burgle ...

I would be surprised if further charges were not brought against at
least some of them as the investigation progresses.

Can they still be interviewed, or does the investigation for other
offences have to continue without further interviews?

SFAIK, people can still be interviewed about other offences even after
having been tried and convicted. Whether the interviews will be of any
value is another matter. Everyone has a right to remain silent.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 21 May 2015 12:56:21 +0000 (UTC), Jethro_uk
wrote:

Which may have been part of the plan to start with. Most coppers today
wouldn't have any idea of how to deal with a crime like this.

They need Jack Regan :-)

And a bottle of scotch!

And (prompted by recently watching "Mad Men" and seeing how ubiquitous
smoking was) a few packets of Players

They could have the packet from the 70's I've got.
Gran wanted Grandad to give up smoking but as he was in his 70's he
said bugger that they kept me going through the trenches and i'm not
stopping now, he did do it in secret though . He died in 1973 and
packets were found hidden in various places and I still have one.
Must be safer than modern ones as there is no health warning on them.

G.Harman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 21 May 2015 12:54:44 +0000, Jethro_uk wrote:

I was thinking of those with an empty box (or a box full of trinkets)
that have just sent in their insurance claim in for their missing
diamonds.

The problem is that most of the owners appear to have been using the
safe boxes instead of having insurance.

One of the pre-requisites for insurance, is that the items being insured
are described in enough detail to confirm (1) their existence and (2)
their value.

I suspect the people using safety deposit boxes would rather not
announce (1), making (2) difficult.

Some of the time, absolutely. Especially if the rumours about diddly-
dum, diddly-dum The Adams Family are true.

But given the location, a heck of a lot of the customers will have been
perfectly legitimate diamond traders. Insurance for stock left on their
premises will be exorbitant, compared to the cost of a box.

But, right now, I'll bet that cost/benefit analysis is looking a bit
flawed...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/05/15 15:18, Jethro_uk wrote:

Depends how much they lost against what they saved. If the insurance is
(say) £1,000,000 a year, and they lost £500,000 then they are still quids
in.

Everyone is overlooking another (quite likely I would have thought)
possibility:

Stuff was insured *on condition* it was stored in the vault when not
needed and/or overnight/weekends/etc.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Which may have been part of the plan to start with. Most coppers today
wouldn't have any idea of how to deal with a crime like this.

They need Jack Regan :-)

And a bottle of scotch!

And (prompted by recently watching "Mad Men" and seeing how ubiquitous
smoking was) a few packets of Players

They could have the packet from the 70's I've got.
Gran wanted Grandad to give up smoking but as he was in his 70's he
said bugger that they kept me going through the trenches and i'm not
stopping now, he did do it in secret though . He died in 1973 and
packets were found hidden in various places and I still have one.
Must be safer than modern ones as there is no health warning on them.

G.Harman

That's interesting regarding the safety aspect do they put more or less chemicals in them than they used to, as I've heard that the tobacco isn't the only dangerous thing in cigs it's the extra chemicals they add to keep the addiction.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 21 May 2015 15:21:39 UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:
On 21/05/15 15:18, Jethro_uk wrote:

Depends how much they lost against what they saved. If the insurance is
(say) £1,000,000 a year, and they lost £500,000 then they are still quids
in.

Everyone is overlooking another (quite likely I would have thought)
possibility:

Stuff was insured *on condition* it was stored in the vault when not
needed and/or overnight/weekends/etc.

I seem to remmeber a film/book 'plot' or perhaps based on real world where a husband had sold all his wife's jewlery replacing it with fake/paste stuff and storing it in such a vault. Wonder what happens about insurance then. I guess it depends on whether the insurance company were told or not.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 21/05/2015 13:54, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Wed, 20 May 2015 20:27:17 +0000, Adrian wrote:

On Wed, 20 May 2015 21:17:06 +0100, ARW wrote:

I was thinking of those with an empty box (or a box full of trinkets)
that have just sent in their insurance claim in for their missing
diamonds.

The problem is that most of the owners appear to have been using the
safe boxes instead of having insurance.

One of the pre-requisites for insurance, is that the items being insured
are described in enough detail to confirm (1) their existence and (2)
their value.

I suspect the people using safety deposit boxes would rather not announce
(1), making (2) difficult.

Didn't the Met have a swoop on safety deposit boxes a while back,
confiscating any illegal items (drugs, guns) and requiring the owners to
account for any sums of cash ?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...-and-guns.html