Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

Default Best way to trace wiring

I will soon be refurbishing shower room. First thing I want to do is
replace the lights, currently 4 x halogen spots but will replace with a
central mounted LED fitting.
The light switch is located outside at the door so would I be safe to
assume it will go straight up and enter the ceiling void around that point.

Some more assumptions:
Is it likely that there will be a block connector (or similar) to then
take the feed to the halogens.
Can I then just disconnect this feed and use for my new fitting.

I suppose my main point is how do I find and trace the wiring to make
the changes, without ripping the ceiling out.
I have ordered one of those cheap borescope thingies which should arrive
in a couple of days but dont know if it will be of any use.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ss" wrote in message
I will soon be refurbishing shower room. First thing I want to do is
replace the lights, currently 4 x halogen spots but will replace with a
central mounted LED fitting.
The light switch is located outside at the door so would I be safe to
assume it will go straight up and enter the ceiling void around that
point.

Some more assumptions:
Is it likely that there will be a block connector (or similar) to then
take the feed to the halogens.
Can I then just disconnect this feed and use for my new fitting.

I suppose my main point is how do I find and trace the wiring to make the
changes, without ripping the ceiling out.
I have ordered one of those cheap borescope thingies which should arrive
in a couple of days but dont know if it will be of any use.

The normal way would be to take the existing light fittings down and check
continuity/which goes where, with a meter.
Also the wires can be jerked and see if the other end moves or it rattles on
the ceiling.
The physical route of the wire is neither here nor there.

You might be able to"fish" he old wiring to the new position if they are
unsecured (to the ceiling joists.)
If they are secured (clipped) then some damage is probably unavoidable.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ss" wrote in message ...

I will soon be refurbishing shower room. First thing I want to do is
replace the lights, currently 4 x halogen spots but will replace with a
central mounted LED fitting.
The light switch is located outside at the door so would I be safe to
assume it will go straight up and enter the ceiling void around that point.

Some more assumptions:
Is it likely that there will be a block connector (or similar) to then take
the feed to the halogens.
Can I then just disconnect this feed and use for my new fitting.

I suppose my main point is how do I find and trace the wiring to make the
changes, without ripping the ceiling out.
I have ordered one of those cheap borescope thingies which should arrive in
a couple of days but dont know if it will be of any use.

I use one of these with very good effect. Lets you follow wires in the
ceiling easily, but make sure that the circuits are powered off when you do
it:

http://www.bts-internet.co.uk/acatal...83.html#SID=32

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/04/2015 21:27, ss wrote:
I will soon be refurbishing shower room. First thing I want to do is
replace the lights, currently 4 x halogen spots but will replace with a
central mounted LED fitting.
The light switch is located outside at the door so would I be safe to
assume it will go straight up and enter the ceiling void around that point.

Its a fair assumption...

Some more assumptions:
Is it likely that there will be a block connector (or similar) to then
take the feed to the halogens.

You would expect to find a junction box of some form. That will usually
contain the power in, out and switch wires, plus one (or more) feeds to
the lamp fittings. (depends a bit on if they are LV halogens with a
transformer or mains powered ones)

See:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?... iring_Options

Can I then just disconnect this feed and use for my new fitting.

Yes. Obviously you want to avoid having old sections of live cable
floating about in the ceiling unused - so you would need to disconnect
them at the junction box.

I suppose my main point is how do I find and trace the wiring to make
the changes, without ripping the ceiling out.

You should be able to do a fair bit just with a resistance meter.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/04/2015 07:55, Andrew Mawson wrote:
"ss" wrote in message ...

[...]

I have one of these much cheaper ones, it works fine as long as you can
touch the tip on the insulated conductor.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_fr...cer&_saca t=0

Not sure if Andrew might be talking about following wires from the other
side of the plasterboard, if you see what I mean.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

o.uk...

"ss" wrote in message ...

[...]

Yes I am. A sparky working on my house refurb failed to connect two smoke
alarms into the common circuit for them all - only discovered when floors
and ceilings finished. After I'd fired him (!) I traced his wiring up a
partition wall, across a ceiling and under 300 mm of insulation in the loft,
where he'd left the unterminated coil of wire, all without opening up any
holes in walls and ceiling.

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

o.uk...

"ss" wrote in message ...

[...]

Good result! I must check out the "range" of mine, but most of my
ceilings are lath and plaster.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/04/2015 21:27, ss wrote:
I will soon be refurbishing shower room. First thing I want to do is
replace the lights, currently 4 x halogen spots but will replace with a
central mounted LED fitting.
The light switch is located outside at the door so would I be safe to
assume it will go straight up and enter the ceiling void around that point.

Some more assumptions:
Is it likely that there will be a block connector (or similar) to then
take the feed to the halogens.
Can I then just disconnect this feed and use for my new fitting.

I suppose my main point is how do I find and trace the wiring to make
the changes, without ripping the ceiling out.
I have ordered one of those cheap borescope thingies which should arrive
in a couple of days but dont know if it will be of any use.

You haven't said whether they're mains or 12v halogens. If 12v, there
will be a transformer powered by the mains, with 4 directly-connected
outputs going to the halogens, or maybe with one output and a 4-way
junction box.

The halogen lamps will have sprung arms holding them against the
ceiling. You should be able to pull them down and feel around in the
void (or look around with your new toy) to work out what's going on.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 12 April 2015 21:27:35 UTC+1, ss wrote:
I suppose my main point is how do I find and trace the wiring to make
the changes, without ripping the ceiling out.

An induction look receiver will pick up mains borne interference from a cable through plaster, or you could de-energise the circuit and use a telecoms toner.

I discovered several sockets in my kitchen that had been plasterboarded over using this method. :-)

Owain

Hitachi v152F probe 1 trace is flatline no change in trace Don[_16_] Electronics Repair 3 May 30th 13 12:15 AM
Drain trace heating Chris J Dixon UK diy 12 September 3rd 11 02:23 PM
Trace heating Part timer[_2_] UK diy 8 February 5th 11 04:42 PM
Distorted oscilloscope trace vic Electronics Repair 21 May 13th 09 02:24 PM
Tektronix 2213 dim trace steve Electronics Repair 9 April 26th 05 03:02 AM