Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default New jigsaw

I just tried to use my old B&D KS633£ jigsaw, which I haven't needed to
use for years. Needless to say, it was as dead as a doornail. Open
circuit (fuse checked ok). Absolutely impossible to remove the screws to
check inside. I was able to turn the motor via the vent slots, and tried
again, but despite that it still doesn't work.

So I need to get a new mains jigsaw, but only for very infrequent use.
The Screwfix Energer
(http://www.screwfix.com/p/energer-en...220-240v/55357)
gets good reviews, but is out-of-stock everywhere. Most of the other
"own-brand" jigsaws from Argos, Homebase, etc get very mixed reviews
from "fantastic" to "junk".

Any recommendations for a cheap jigsaw, or to avoid?

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, February 9, 2015 at 4:22:30 PM UTC, Jeff Layman wrote:
I just tried to use my old B&D KS633£ jigsaw, which I haven't needed to
use for years. Needless to say, it was as dead as a doornail. Open
circuit (fuse checked ok). Absolutely impossible to remove the screws to
check inside. I was able to turn the motor via the vent slots, and tried
again, but despite that it still doesn't work.

So I need to get a new mains jigsaw, but only for very infrequent use.
The Screwfix Energer
(http://www.screwfix.com/p/energer-en...220-240v/55357)
gets good reviews, but is out-of-stock everywhere. Most of the other
"own-brand" jigsaws from Argos, Homebase, etc get very mixed reviews
from "fantastic" to "junk".

Any recommendations for a cheap jigsaw, or to avoid?

Cheap jigsaws are disasters. To be worth having, one needs a blade restraining system to keep the blade straight. Look at used tools if it needs to be cheap.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, February 9, 2015 at 4:32:34 PM UTC, wrote:
[...]

a left handed drill bit should open almost any stuck screw.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

(
http://www.screwfix.com/p/energer-en...220-240v/55357)
gets good reviews, but is out-of-stock everywhere. Most of the other
"own-brand" jigsaws from Argos, Homebase, etc get very mixed reviews
from "fantastic" to "junk".

Any recommendations for a cheap jigsaw, or to avoid?

Cheap jigsaws are disasters. To be worth having, one needs a blade restraining system to keep the blade straight. Look at used tools if it needs to be cheap.

a left handed drill bit should open almost any stuck screw.

Never knew they existed! I have some stud removers; might try the
smallest one, but on previous experience they are very brittle and often
snap when anything more than slight force is applied.

I finally got one screw out - steel self-tapper, pointless, 20mm long by
about 3mm diameter. Pozi head. There are 7 others, 3 of them sunk around
20 mm down.

--

Jeff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/02/2015 16:38, Bob Minchin wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Not so sure. Maybe because I don't know any better, but I find my 30-odd
year B+D just fine. It did baulk at some 18mm oak mind.

Makes by my standards straight cuts.

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

B&D did some decent trade tools back then. The "you get what you pay
for" rule has always applied to jigsaws. Cheap drills or circular saws
will do the job if the cutting parts are sharp, but a cheap jigsaw is no
use to anyone. Well, laminate flooring possibly, but certainly nothing
thicker.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

That's not right.

Well, laminate flooring possibly, but certainly nothing thicker.

And neither is that. I have used a cheap jigsaw to cut 12mm copper
tubing that is where a hacksaw is very much harder to use and for
cutting 12mm flat aluminium which you have a bench grinder to
use to square the ends with. Works fine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

I think that is a common situation. Until you use a good one, you simply
don't appreciate what a vast difference there is.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Any recommendations for a cheap jigsaw, or to avoid?

Cheap jigsaws are disasters. To be worth having, one needs a blade
restraining system to keep the blade straight. Look at used tools if
it needs to be cheap.

NT

+1

Not so sure. Maybe because I don't know any better, but I find my 30-odd
year B+D just fine. It did baulk at some 18mm oak mind.

Makes by my standards straight cuts.

I think that is a common situation. Until you use a good one, you simply
don't appreciate what a vast difference there is.

+1 !....
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/02/2015 09:57, John Rumm wrote:
On 09/02/2015 20:49, RJH wrote:

8

Not so sure. Maybe because I don't know any better, but I find my 30-odd
year B+D just fine. It did baulk at some 18mm oak mind.

Makes by my standards straight cuts.

I think that is a common situation. Until you use a good one, you simply
don't appreciate what a vast difference there is.

I have a ryobi one+ jigsaw and I don't think much of it. I prefer to use
a hand saw.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Jeff Layman
scribeth thus
I just tried to use my old B&D KS633£ jigsaw, which I haven't needed to
use for years. Needless to say, it was as dead as a doornail. Open
circuit (fuse checked ok). Absolutely impossible to remove the screws to
check inside. I was able to turn the motor via the vent slots, and tried
again, but despite that it still doesn't work.

So I need to get a new mains jigsaw, but only for very infrequent use.
The Screwfix Energer
(http://www.screwfix.com/p/energer-en...220-240v/55357)
gets good reviews, but is out-of-stock everywhere. Most of the other
"own-brand" jigsaws from Argos, Homebase, etc get very mixed reviews
from "fantastic" to "junk".

Any recommendations for a cheap jigsaw, or to avoid?

Yes simples ... avoid cheap Jigsaws period;!.

Save up a few quid or nick some money and get one of these and have
pleasure in using it...

http://www.alanwadkinstoolstore.co.u...s-c17/jigsaws-
c19/4350fct-orbital-action-jigsaw-with-light-240v-p713
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jeff Layman wrote:
I just tried to use my old B&D KS633£ jigsaw, which I haven't needed to
use for years. Needless to say, it was as dead as a doornail. Open
circuit (fuse checked ok). Absolutely impossible to remove the screws to
check inside. I was able to turn the motor via the vent slots, and tried
again, but despite that it still doesn't work.

So I need to get a new mains jigsaw, but only for very infrequent use.
The Screwfix Energer
(http://www.screwfix.com/p/energer-en...220-240v/55357)
gets good reviews, but is out-of-stock everywhere. Most of the other
"own-brand" jigsaws from Argos, Homebase, etc get very mixed reviews
from "fantastic" to "junk".

Any recommendations for a cheap jigsaw, or to avoid?

Cheap jigsaws are dreadful. You're better off without. If your use is
very occasional, why not hire?

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
Jeff Layman wrote:
I just tried to use my old B&D KS633£ jigsaw, which I haven't needed to
use for years. Needless to say, it was as dead as a doornail. Open
circuit (fuse checked ok). Absolutely impossible to remove the screws to
check inside. I was able to turn the motor via the vent slots, and tried
again, but despite that it still doesn't work.

So I need to get a new mains jigsaw, but only for very infrequent use.
The Screwfix Energer
(http://www.screwfix.com/p/energer-en...220-240v/55357)
gets good reviews, but is out-of-stock everywhere. Most of the other
"own-brand" jigsaws from Argos, Homebase, etc get very mixed reviews from
"fantastic" to "junk".

Any recommendations for a cheap jigsaw, or to avoid?

Cheap jigsaws are dreadful. You're better off without.

Dont agree with that. They are much better than a hacksaw
when cutting copper tube thats buried in the ground because
you dont need to dig anything like the same depth hole.

Much quicker than a hacksaw if you have quite a lot of
say 12mm flat aluminium to cut too. I use those as shelf
supports in 25mm vertical steel slotted rhs tubing where
the ends of the aluminium flats aren't even visible and
easy to get flat with the bench grinder.

If your use is very occasional, why not hire?

Because the cheap jigsaws are so cheap that its not worth farting around
with hiring if they do an adequate job and they do for some stuff.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/02/15 16:22, Jeff Layman wrote:
I just tried to use my old B&D KS633£ jigsaw, which I haven't needed to
use for years. Needless to say, it was as dead as a doornail. Open
circuit (fuse checked ok). Absolutely impossible to remove the screws to
check inside. I was able to turn the motor via the vent slots, and tried
again, but despite that it still doesn't work.

So I need to get a new mains jigsaw, but only for very infrequent use.
The Screwfix Energer
(http://www.screwfix.com/p/energer-en...220-240v/55357)
gets good reviews, but is out-of-stock everywhere. Most of the other
"own-brand" jigsaws from Argos, Homebase, etc get very mixed reviews
from "fantastic" to "junk".

Any recommendations for a cheap jigsaw, or to avoid?

Decided to get a Bosch PST 65 (PST 650). Just used it, and it seems OK.

By the way, I freed 7 of the 8 screws holding the B&D together. Looks to
me that something like Loctite had been used on the final 2 or 3 mm of
the screw. No wonder they were so hard to turn! Unfortunately the head
is buggered on the last screw, so I'll have to drill it out.

--

Jeff

Need A New Jigsaw Sonny Woodworking 38 May 29th 12 07:33 PM
The Jigsaw of choice? A.Lee UK diy 11 August 28th 07 09:43 PM
What Jigsaw? andy UK diy 14 September 1st 06 11:03 AM
Jigsaw Blades: Einhell EPST 710W Jigsaw Cw Laser 44.720.42 AMO UK diy 4 July 8th 06 05:23 PM
need a jigsaw? Morris Woodworking 1 November 10th 04 07:50 PM