Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Need A New Jigsaw

Quality of a brand seems to wax and wane, as noted in the recent/
ongoing discussion "What's The Drill".

I need recommendations for a new jigsaw to replace my 30 yr old
Craftsman. Moderate to thick cutting capacity without hesitation, at
least medium quality.... leaning toward higher end quality, but I
don't need a commercial saw.

Corded saws only: What brands and/or models might be performing the
best, these days?

Thanks.
Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/24/2012 1:22 PM, Sonny wrote:
Quality of a brand seems to wax and wane, as noted in the recent/
ongoing discussion "What's The Drill".

I need recommendations for a new jigsaw to replace my 30 yr old
Craftsman. Moderate to thick cutting capacity without hesitation, at
least medium quality.... leaning toward higher end quality, but I
don't need a commercial saw.

Corded saws only: What brands and/or models might be performing the
best, these days?

Thanks.
Sonny

You could buy a Skil and it would be much better than what you are
replacing, I had a Craftsman that would have been tha old had it not
pooped out 10`12 years ago.

I strongly recommend one that allows you to replace the blade in 2~3
seconds. The easier it is to replace the blade the more likely that you
will and that you will use the saw more often. I do not recomend one
that has a combination of turns and twists to remove the blade.
Look for one with a single lever release.

I personally have the German/AEG built Milwaukee, Bosch is good and
there is also the Festool. Festool was suppose to come out with the
same model that is used in Europe but for some reason or an other,
probably causes cancer in California, its arrival has been postponed in
the U.S.

http://jigsaws.festoolusa.com/jigsaws/models/carvex/

Another thing to consider are the blades, IMHO the Bosch blades are the
best, many styles will make a remarkably smooth cut in hard woods.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/24/2012 1:22 PM, Sonny wrote:
Quality of a brand seems to wax and wane, as noted in the recent/
ongoing discussion "What's The Drill".

I need recommendations for a new jigsaw to replace my 30 yr old
Craftsman. Moderate to thick cutting capacity without hesitation, at
least medium quality.... leaning toward higher end quality, but I
don't need a commercial saw.

Corded saws only: What brands and/or models might be performing the
best, these days?

Bosch has been the best for me down through the years. I would love to
have the new Festool, but there seems to have been a problem with UL
and/or the strobe light, which apparently could cause cause epileptic
seizures in those susceptible (and supposedly comes with a warning in
that regard in Europe).

I own and use a Bosch, and absent the Festool Carvex ever making it to
these shores, I would replace it with the same Bosch model were it lost.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

Searching reviews is a good thing to do. When I bought mine, Bosch was
consistently rated at the top. I have the older version of what is now
a 1591EVSL and can highly recommend that. Features to look for a

1. variable speed
2. tool-less blade changing
3. Roller behind the blade to support it for a straight (more
controlled), perpendicular cut
4. dust blower
5. Adjustable orbital action
6. LED worklight (if they have it)

You decide if you prefer a top-handle, or the barrel model. I prefer
the barrel, but that's just a personal thing. I like mine for rough
cutting lumber/plywood because it doesn't throw dust all over like a
circular saw would. But it cuts just as straight.
A handy reference is http://www.huntfamily.com/bosch_blades.htm

John S.

On 05/24/2012 01:22 PM, Sonny wrote:
Quality of a brand seems to wax and wane, as noted in the recent/
ongoing discussion "What's The Drill".

I need recommendations for a new jigsaw to replace my 30 yr old
Craftsman. Moderate to thick cutting capacity without hesitation, at
least medium quality.... leaning toward higher end quality, but I
don't need a commercial saw.

Corded saws only: What brands and/or models might be performing the
best, these days?

Thanks.
Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Sonny" wrote:

I need recommendations for a new jigsaw to replace my 30 yr old
Craftsman.

--------------------------
Bosch.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/24/2012 1:24 PM, Swingman wrote:
[...]

Here's another vote for Bosch....
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Sonny" wrote in message
Quality of a brand seems to wax and wane, as noted in the recent/
ongoing discussion "What's The Drill".

I need recommendations for a new jigsaw to replace my 30 yr old
Craftsman. Moderate to thick cutting capacity without hesitation, at
least medium quality.... leaning toward higher end quality, but I
don't need a commercial saw.

Corded saws only: What brands and/or models might be performing the
best, these days?

Thanks.
Sonny

Bosch/ Milwakeee, there almost identical

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Sonny wrote:
Quality of a brand seems to wax and wane, as noted in the recent/
ongoing discussion "What's The Drill".

I need recommendations for a new jigsaw to replace my 30 yr old
Craftsman. Moderate to thick cutting capacity without hesitation, at
least medium quality.... leaning toward higher end quality, but I
don't need a commercial saw.

Corded saws only: What brands and/or models might be performing the
best, these days?

Thanks.
Sonny

The AEG-designed Milwaukee or the Bosch are among the best.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 24 May 2012 11:22:41 -0700 (PDT), Sonny
wrote:

Quality of a brand seems to wax and wane, as noted in the recent/
ongoing discussion "What's The Drill".

I need recommendations for a new jigsaw to replace my 30 yr old
Craftsman. Moderate to thick cutting capacity without hesitation, at
least medium quality.... leaning toward higher end quality, but I
don't need a commercial saw.

Corded saws only: What brands and/or models might be performing the
best, these days?

Thanks.
Sonny

There are three brands worth considering, IMO, Bosch, Bosch, and my
favorite, Bosch. I like the top handle, but the barrel grip is
popular too.

Never tried a Festool, but they should be good for the money. Since
you are asking what is good, I'm sure you already know to avoid the
cheap stuff.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/24/2012 3:05 PM, Leon wrote:

Another thing to consider are the blades, IMHO the Bosch blades are the
best, many styles will make a remarkably smooth cut in hard woods.

I'll second that. The bosch blades are second to none.
I have a basic dewalt that Dewalt sent free for buying a Planer about 12
years ago.

What I like,

having support behind the blade.
the sole rotates around to provide near zero clearance.
the orbital cut vs straight cut. Nice when your roughing. Nice to turn
off when your doing fine work.

Wish that it took the T type blades . It takes the U's

Speed control is good, the blower started out good but doesn't seem as
good now. So I would like one a little more powerful.

Do I wish I had keyless Blade change... yes and no. It's easy to change
the blade so I don't need it. But it would be nice.

I think that all jigsaws should include 2 shoes. One for rough work like
cutting through a roof. You don't want that shoe against your woodwork
after that.
I made a magnetic shoe , masonite , sheet magnets and a border, for
working with rough stuff. I just put it on to save my regular shoe.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 24 May 2012 15:16:24 -0600, Max wrote:

I own and use a Bosch, and absent the Festool Carvex ever making it to
these shores, I would replace it with the same Bosch model were it
lost.

Here's another vote for Bosch....

And yet another - I replaced a Skil with a Bosch many years ago and
couldn't believe how much better the Bosch was.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 24, 3:48*pm, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
"Sonny" wrote:
I need recommendations for a new jigsaw to replace my 30 yr old
Craftsman.

--------------------------
Bosch.

Lew

Keep in mind that there a couple of different Bosch jigsaws. Both come
with either D handle or barrel grip but the motors are different
amperage.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Blanchard wrote in
:

On Thu, 24 May 2012 15:16:24 -0600, Max wrote:

I own and use a Bosch, and absent the Festool Carvex ever making it
to these shores, I would replace it with the same Bosch model were
it lost.

Here's another vote for Bosch....

And yet another - I replaced a Skil with a Bosch many years ago and
couldn't believe how much better the Bosch was.

A fourth and a story. I borrowed a buddy's 1587 to try out a few years
ago. When he loaned it to me, he said "I'm not doing you any favors,
you're going to have to buy one."

If only they would put a light on it! (I've got the 1590.) I'm
thinking about adding a light, but I haven't figured out how to do so
without drilling or duct taping something to it.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny wrote:
Quality of a brand seems to wax and wane, as noted in the recent/
ongoing discussion "What's The Drill".

I need recommendations for a new jigsaw to replace my 30 yr old
Craftsman. Moderate to thick cutting capacity without hesitation, at
least medium quality.... leaning toward higher end quality, but I
don't need a commercial saw.

Corded saws only: What brands and/or models might be performing the
best, these days?

Some current prices:

Black & Decker JS660 - $34.98
Black & Decker JS515 - $16.68
Black & Decker JS700K - $53.90
Porter-Cable PC600JS - $69.88
Skil 4290-02 - $29.97
Bosch JS470EB - $139.00
Bosch 1591EVSL - $179.99
Bosch JS470E - $139.00
Dewalt DW331K - $140.30
Milwaukee 6268-21 - $153.49
Makita 4329K - $68.61
and mo
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...eywords=jigsaw

Meanwhile:
Harbor Freight 46055 - $19.99
http://www.harborfreight.com/variabl...saw-46055.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hey Puckdropper
I picked up one of these at HF. I use it on my router. I just mounted a
small piece of metal that the rare earth magnet can stick to in the base
using epoxy.

Looks like you can do the same on the shoe of your jig saw, out of the
way, or use another magnet attached to the shoe.

See the link. I can't find on their website, so I took a picture.
http://i.imgur.com/0l5Dj.jpg
The base has a rare earth magnet, a laser pointer, a powerful led,
goosneck, small package.

Only like $3 or $4 from what I remember.

On 5/25/2012 12:27 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
Larry wrote in
:

On Thu, 24 May 2012 15:16:24 -0600, Max wrote:

I own and use a Bosch, and absent the Festool Carvex ever making it
to these shores, I would replace it with the same Bosch model were
it lost.

Here's another vote for Bosch....

And yet another - I replaced a Skil with a Bosch many years ago and
couldn't believe how much better the Bosch was.

A fourth and a story. I borrowed a buddy's 1587 to try out a few years
ago. When he loaned it to me, he said "I'm not doing you any favors,
you're going to have to buy one."

If only they would put a light on it! (I've got the 1590.) I'm
thinking about adding a light, but I haven't figured out how to do so
without drilling or duct taping something to it.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 25, 7:16*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Sonny wrote:
[...]

and mohttp://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...as%3Daps&field...

Meanwhile:
Harbor Freight 46055 - $19.99http://www.harborfreight.com/variable-speed-jigsaw-46055.html

Amazon has the Bosch 1591, barrel grip, is $179, whereas the 1590, top
grip, is $203. I am more familiar with the top grip.

Local Home Depot has the 1590 for $179, also, but online sales only.
Maybe with the promotion (below), an additional discount is available.

For anyone else looking at a Bosch, I see Bosch has a promotion
ongoing for selected items. Here's a copy of their "Read More" from
the Home Depot listing:

Discount Details$20 off a $100 or $40 off $200 or more total purchase
of Select Bosch Tools/Accessories. Promo Code: Bosch
$20 off w/ the purchase of $100 - $199.99 and $40 off $200 or more of
Select Bosch Tools, Measuring Tools, and/or Accessories (ONLINE ONLY)
Valid 5/14 -6/23. Offer cannot be combined with any other promotion.

Thanks guys.
Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

tiredofspam nospam.nospam.com wrote in
:

Hey Puckdropper
I picked up one of these at HF. I use it on my router. I just mounted
a small piece of metal that the rare earth magnet can stick to in the
base using epoxy.

Looks like you can do the same on the shoe of your jig saw, out of the
way, or use another magnet attached to the shoe.

See the link. I can't find on their website, so I took a picture.
http://i.imgur.com/0l5Dj.jpg
The base has a rare earth magnet, a laser pointer, a powerful led,
goosneck, small package.

Only like $3 or $4 from what I remember.

I might have to give that a look. If the base on my 1590 is magnetic,
it might work quite nicely. Thanks.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny wrote:
On May 25, 7:16 am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Sonny wrote:
[...]

try CPO tools or

http://www.cpotools.com/bosch-recond...efault,sc.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

After shopping 2 hours online and then in the local stores, it has
been discovered the Bosch 1590EVSL and 1591EVSL has been
discontinued. Either of these tools on a store's/outlet's shelf is
apparently the only ones available. There are no back orders from
Bosch, according to Lowes phone call to Bosch, when trying to order
one for me.

I settled with the Bosch JS470E model and blades. I haven't tried it
yet, but it'll get a workout today on some custom headboards, for
upholstering.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 25 May 2012 12:52:08 -0500, ChairMan wrote:

try CPO tools or

http://www.cpotools.com/bosch-recond...ig-saws/bosch-

reconditioned-jig-saws,default,sc.html

I forgot to mention that mine was a reconditioned item. I'm convinced
that they're a good buy. I've had a couple of manufacturer's reps tell
me that the reconditioned products go through a much more complete
inspection than the originals do.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 25 May 2012 07:33:42 -0700 (PDT), Sonny
wrote:

Bosch JS470EB - $139.00
Bosch 1591EVSL - $179.99
Bosch JS470E - $139.00

Amazon has the Bosch 1591, barrel grip, is $179, whereas the 1590, top
grip, is $203. I am more familiar with the top grip.

http://www.coastaltool.com/bosch/1590evsl.htm $169 plus a blade pack

http://www.coastaltool.com/bosch/1591evsl.htm $175 with blade pack

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 25 May 2012 19:55:32 +0000 (UTC), Larry Blanchard
wrote:

On Fri, 25 May 2012 12:52:08 -0500, ChairMan wrote:

try CPO tools or

http://www.cpotools.com/bosch-recond...ig-saws/bosch-

reconditioned-jig-saws,default,sc.html

I forgot to mention that mine was a reconditioned item. I'm convinced
that they're a good buy. I've had a couple of manufacturer's reps tell
me that the reconditioned products go through a much more complete
inspection than the originals do.

Many "reconditioned" tools and appliances are actually brand new, just
marked that way so they can sell them at a lower price and not ****
off regular retailers.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 25 May 2012 22:38:50 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On Fri, 25 May 2012 07:33:42 -0700 (PDT), Sonny
wrote:

Bosch JS470EB - $139.00
Bosch 1591EVSL - $179.99
Bosch JS470E - $139.00

Amazon has the Bosch 1591, barrel grip, is $179, whereas the 1590, top
grip, is $203. I am more familiar with the top grip.

http://www.coastaltool.com/bosch/1590evsl.htm $169 plus a blade pack

http://www.coastaltool.com/bosch/1591evsl.htm $175 with blade pack

I tried one of the barrel grip Bosches at a tool show and much
preferred it to the top grip. YMMV

--
When a quiet man is moved to passion, it seems the very earth will shake.
-- Stephanie Barron
Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny wrote:
After shopping 2 hours online and then in the local stores, it has
been discovered the Bosch 1590EVSL and 1591EVSL has been
discontinued. Either of these tools on a store's/outlet's shelf is
apparently the only ones available. There are no back orders from
Bosch, according to Lowes phone call to Bosch, when trying to order
one for me.

I settled with the Bosch JS470E model and blades. I haven't tried it
yet, but it'll get a workout today on some custom headboards, for
upholstering.

Sonny

post some pics in ABPW, I'd be interested to see 'em
I think you'll like the Bosch, just don't get in a hurry if your
cutting curves in 2x6 for the frame, the blade drifts a bit in thicker
materials

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Fri, 25 May 2012 12:52:08 -0500, ChairMan wrote:

try CPO tools or

http://www.cpotools.com/bosch-recond...ig-saws/bosch-

reconditioned-jig-saws,default,sc.html

I forgot to mention that mine was a reconditioned item. I'm
convinced
that they're a good buy. I've had a couple of manufacturer's reps
tell me that the reconditioned products go through a much more
complete inspection than the originals do.

I have no problems with recons, have several tools and TVs and they
have worked flawlessly for years

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On Fri, 25 May 2012 12:52:08 -0500, ChairMan wrote:

try CPO tools or

http://www.cpotools.com/bosch-recond...ig-saws/bosch-

reconditioned-jig-saws,default,sc.html

I forgot to mention that mine was a reconditioned item. I'm convinced
that they're a good buy. I've had a couple of manufacturer's reps tell
me that the reconditioned products go through a much more complete
inspection than the originals do.

Many "reconditioned" tools and appliances are actually brand new, just
marked that way so they can sell them at a lower price and not ****
off regular retailers.

I have no idea about that (can you provide any sort of documentation for
that?) The warranty period seems to be much shorter the those in the
reconditioned category, so even if they are the same they are not
identical. %-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

post some pics in ABPW, I'd *be interested to see 'em
I think you'll like the Bosch, just don't get in a hurry if your
cutting curves in 2x6 for the frame, the blade drifts a bit in thicker
materials

I can't post to abpw, but I can to Flickr. Here are two I recently
did. http://www.flickr.com/photos/43836144@N04/?saved=1

I have 2 more to do.... started one today.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

ChairMan wrote:
Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Fri, 25 May 2012 12:52:08 -0500, ChairMan wrote:

try CPO tools or

http://www.cpotools.com/bosch-recond...ig-saws/bosch-

reconditioned-jig-saws,default,sc.html

I forgot to mention that mine was a reconditioned item. I'm
convinced
that they're a good buy. I've had a couple of manufacturer's reps
tell me that the reconditioned products go through a much more
complete inspection than the originals do.

I have no problems with recons, have several tools and TVs and they
have worked flawlessly for years

I appreciate feedback like that. Thanks! Anyone here have bad
experiences on the contrary side?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 26 May 2012 00:30:07 -0400, Bill wrote:

Many "reconditioned" tools and appliances are actually brand new, just
marked that way so they can sell them at a lower price and not ****
off regular retailers.

I have no idea about that (can you provide any sort of documentation for
that?) The warranty period seems to be much shorter the those in the
reconditioned category, so even if they are the same they are not
identical. %-)

One reason the warranty period is shorter is to reduce costs.

As for documentation, I've been in a couple of factories (when the
made stuff in the US) and saw it being done. Just as thee are many
brands of appliance coming down the same assembly line using the same
parts with different front panels and labels.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/25/2012 11:10 PM, ChairMan wrote:

I have no problems with recons, have several tools and TVs and they
have worked flawlessly for years

Agreed. Besides reconditioned tools from the local Porter Cable service
center, my last three laptops have been "certified refurbished" from
Dell's Outlet Store.

Have always found factory reconditioned products to be a good buy.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/24/2012 2:22 PM, Sonny wrote:
Quality of a brand seems to wax and wane, as noted in the recent/
ongoing discussion "What's The Drill".

I need recommendations for a new jigsaw to replace my 30 yr old
Craftsman. Moderate to thick cutting capacity without hesitation, at
least medium quality.... leaning toward higher end quality, but I
don't need a commercial saw.

Corded saws only: What brands and/or models might be performing the
best, these days?

Thanks.
Sonny

I purchased a Makita 4329 for around the house. It's simple and light
to hold but cuts smooth and quiet. Boy is it quiet. It will take Bosch
blades I beleive.

It'll do 2 1/2 inches thick but I haven't tried anything over 1 3/4" but
it kept up with that

If it's too small for your needs there is a couple sizes up.

Most likely you'll be going Bosch by the looks of this thread but I
thought I would put a plug in for Makita.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 24, 2:22*pm, Sonny wrote:
Quality of a brand seems to wax and wane, as noted in the recent/
ongoing discussion "What's The Drill".

I need recommendations for a new jigsaw to replace my 30 yr old
Craftsman. *Moderate to thick cutting capacity without hesitation, at
least medium quality.... leaning toward higher end quality, but I
don't need a commercial saw.

Corded saws only: *What brands and/or models might be performing the
best, these days?

Thanks.
Sonny

Bosch 1591. Mine's been through everything from galvanized
pipe to roofing and still works like new.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
On 5/25/2012 11:10 PM, ChairMan wrote:

I have no problems with recons, have several tools and TVs and they
have worked flawlessly for years

Agreed. Besides reconditioned tools from the local Porter Cable
service center, my last three laptops have been "certified
refurbished" from Dell's Outlet Store.

Have always found factory reconditioned products to be a good buy.

most of the time I'll look for recons before I buy anything because
they're good buys

Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny wrote:
post some pics in ABPW, I'd be interested to see 'em
I think you'll like the Bosch, just don't get in a hurry if your
cutting curves in 2x6 for the frame, the blade drifts a bit in
thicker materials

I can't post to abpw, but I can to Flickr. Here are two I recently
did. http://www.flickr.com/photos/43836144@N04/?saved=1

I have 2 more to do.... started one today.

Sonny

looks good
Here's acouple I 've done along with an ottoman
http://s1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg505/chairman57/

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 25 May 2012 22:38:50 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

http://www.coastaltool.com/bosch/1590evsl.htm $169 plus a blade pack

http://www.coastaltool.com/bosch/1591evsl.htm $175 with blade pack

The time came to replace my 1587 so I bought the 1590 yesterday from
Coastal. There was a Bosch instant rebat of $20. so the bottom line
was $149. plus $8.50 shipping. I'm happy but I'm sad also. The 1587
was the first 'serious' tool I ever purchased and it took the place of
many other saws for a good long time.
tb
Posted to rec.woodworking

looks good
Here's acouple I 've done along with an ottomanhttp://s1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg505/chairman57/

Very nice. I like the masculine one..... gives me an idea for one of
my bedrooms.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/24/2012 11:22 AM, Sonny wrote:
Quality of a brand seems to wax and wane, as noted in the recent/
ongoing discussion "What's The Drill".

I need recommendations for a new jigsaw to replace my 30 yr old
Craftsman. Moderate to thick cutting capacity without hesitation, at
least medium quality.... leaning toward higher end quality, but I
don't need a commercial saw.

Corded saws only: What brands and/or models might be performing the
best, these days?

Thanks.
Sonny

Bosch corded is what everybody else copied.
They also make the very best blades.

The Jigsaw of choice? A.Lee UK diy 11 August 28th 07 09:43 PM
What Jigsaw? andy UK diy 14 September 1st 06 11:03 AM
Jigsaw Blades: Einhell EPST 710W Jigsaw Cw Laser 44.720.42 AMO UK diy 4 July 8th 06 05:23 PM
Best jigsaw for a homeowner... Squanklin Home Repair 14 December 20th 04 09:47 PM
need a jigsaw? Morris Woodworking 1 November 10th 04 07:50 PM