Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default The Jigsaw of choice?

I'm now in the market for a jigsaw.
I'm leaning towards a mains powered one, though could be tempted by a
cordless at the right price.
I currently have a couple of Dewalt 18v XRP tools, so a bare unit from
ewalt would suffice(they are £120ish on ebay), but I'm wary of relying
too much on battery power - i.e. - would the battery have enough power
for cutting out the sink hole, a hob hole, as well as one end of a
worktop without going flat?

So any thoughts on a mains powered one, or stick with cordless?
And which to go for?

Thanks
Alan.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"A.Lee" wrote in message
I'm now in the market for a jigsaw.
I'm leaning towards a mains powered one, though could be tempted by

cordless at the right price.
I currently have a couple of Dewalt 18v XRP tools, so a bare unit

from
ewalt would suffice(they are £120ish on ebay), but I'm wary of

relying
too much on battery power - i.e. - would the battery have enough

power
for cutting out the sink hole, a hob hole, as well as one end of a
worktop without going flat?

So any thoughts on a mains powered one, or stick with cordless?
And which to go for?

Thanks
Alan.

By far the best jigsaws I've used have been Bosch professional mains
powered ones. I have a pretty well brand new 240v one that is kept for
best, and the fairly knackered 110v one I use on grotty materials.
Even the knackered one beats a cheap B&D one !

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Mawson wrote:

By far the best jigsaws I've used have been Bosch professional mains
powered ones. I have a pretty well brand new 240v one that is kept for
best, and the fairly knackered 110v one I use on grotty materials.
Even the knackered one beats a cheap B&D one !

I would agree the Bosch blue barrel bodied ones are among the best. My
Makita 4340 also seems equal in performance, and very good for
smoothness and lack of vibration.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
Andrew Mawson wrote:

By far the best jigsaws I've used have been Bosch professional mains
powered ones. I have a pretty well brand new 240v one that is kept
for best, and the fairly knackered 110v one I use on grotty
materials. Even the knackered one beats a cheap B&D one !

I would agree the Bosch blue barrel bodied ones are among the best. My
Makita 4340 also seems equal in performance, and very good for
smoothness and lack of vibration.

Yup! John made me buy one recently. Incredible machine - its a jigsaw Jim,
but not as we know it.

You won't believe what a jigsaw can do until you've tried one of these.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24 Aug, 19:59, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
Andrew Mawson wrote:

By far the best jigsaws I've used have been Bosch professional mains
powered ones. I have a pretty well brand new 240v one that is kept
for best, and the fairly knackered 110v one I use on grotty
materials. Even the knackered one beats a cheap B&D one !

I would agree the Bosch blue barrel bodied ones are among the best. My
Makita 4340 also seems equal in performance, and very good for
smoothness and lack of vibration.

Yup! John made me buy one recently. Incredible machine - its a jigsaw Jim,
but not as we know it.

You won't believe what a jigsaw can do until you've tried one of these.

--
Dave
The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk
01634 717930
07850 597257

Another vote for Makita, mine's great; powerful, accurate and smooth.

I've never tried any cordless ones though so can't really comment

Cheers
Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Same as the other posters, Bosch GST135 - top tool.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"A.Lee" wrote in message
I'm now in the market for a jigsaw.
I'm leaning towards a mains powered one, though could be tempted by a
cordless at the right price.
I currently have a couple of Dewalt 18v XRP tools, so a bare unit from
ewalt would suffice(they are £120ish on ebay), but I'm wary of relying
too much on battery power - i.e. - would the battery have enough power
for cutting out the sink hole, a hob hole, as well as one end of a
worktop without going flat?

So any thoughts on a mains powered one, or stick with cordless?
And which to go for?

Thanks
Alan.

Bosch have always been the market leader in jigsaws. Many won't remember the
Bosch / Scintilla name, They were the best barrel jigsaws ever made and
there are still some working examples being used today. The nearest thing
available to buy now is the Bosch GST range, superior to all the Makita's
and Dewalt's ect.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 00:09:02 +0100, "kaiser" wrote:

Bosch have always been the market leader in jigsaws. Many won't remember the
Bosch / Scintilla name,

Except for it still being marked on the Bosch jigsaws made by Scintilla.

(Yes, they're still the best choice)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"A.Lee" wrote in message
I'm now in the market for a jigsaw.
I'm leaning towards a mains powered one, though could be tempted by a
cordless at the right price.
I currently have a couple of Dewalt 18v XRP tools, so a bare unit from
ewalt would suffice(they are £120ish on ebay), but I'm wary of relying
too much on battery power - i.e. - would the battery have enough power
for cutting out the sink hole, a hob hole, as well as one end of a
worktop without going flat?

So any thoughts on a mains powered one, or stick with cordless?
And which to go for?

Thanks
Alan.

My vote goes to the Bosch blue range. Although the Makita 4340, which I have
also used, is probably the equal of my GST-100.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Piers James wrote:

"A.Lee" wrote in message
I'm now in the market for a jigsaw.
I'm leaning towards a mains powered one, though could be tempted by a
cordless at the right price.
I currently have a couple of Dewalt 18v XRP tools, so a bare unit from
ewalt would suffice(they are £120ish on ebay), but I'm wary of relying
too much on battery power - i.e. - would the battery have enough power
for cutting out the sink hole, a hob hole, as well as one end of a
worktop without going flat?

So any thoughts on a mains powered one, or stick with cordless?
And which to go for?

Thanks
Alan.

My vote goes to the Bosch blue range. Although the Makita 4340, which
I have also used, is probably the equal of my GST-100.

Bosch GST-100 is an excellent machine. Used and abused it mine for
years. Very tough & accurate.

What Jigsaw? andy UK diy 14 September 1st 06 11:03 AM
Jigsaw Blades: Einhell EPST 710W Jigsaw Cw Laser 44.720.42 AMO UK diy 4 July 8th 06 05:23 PM
Jigsaw Blade [email protected] Home Repair 6 August 8th 05 03:30 PM
need a jigsaw? Morris Woodworking 1 November 10th 04 07:50 PM
Router or jigsaw SJ UK diy 30 March 24th 04 02:05 PM