Posted to comp.mobile.android,uk.d-i-y

Default Any 'Cloud Print' experts out there? [OT on uk.d-i-y]

Am x-posting this to uk.d-i-y since there don't seem to be any takers on
comp-mobile-android, and I know there are Android users on uk.d-i-y

On 02/02/2015 12:01, Roger Mills wrote:
I've been playing around with Cloud Print to see what's possible for
printing stuff held on my Nexus 10 tablet on a PC-connected printer. I
have 'conventional' printers rather than network-connected printers, but
that isn't supposed to matter.

I can print most things ok, but I have a problem with photographs.
Photos taken in portrait mode are ok, and print in portrait on my
printer - each filling an A4 sheet. But if I try to print a landscape
photo, I get a portrait one instead - containing just the middle section
of the photo, and cropping the left and right sides. If, within the
Photos App (which has appeared in Android 5 and seems to have replaced
Gallery) I tell it to print in landscape, it simply rotates this cropped
centre section on the page. It doesn't seem to make any difference
whether the printer itself (on my PC) is set up to default to portrait
or landscape orientation.

Anyone know what's happening? Am I missing something obvious?

[OK, I know I can transfer the photos to my PC and them print them
anyhow I like - but I'd prefer not to have to do that.]

UPDATE: I've since discovered that if I rotate a landscape photo by 90
degrees in the Photos App so that it is then effectively portrait (but
sideways on) it then prints ok. But that shouldn't be necessary, surely?

Also, even when things *do* print, the process is a bit hit and miss -
sometimes printing two copies when I ask for one - and sometimes sitting
there like a lemon for *ages* before showing any signs of action, and
then suddenly bursting into life.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to comp.mobile.android,uk.d-i-y

In message , Roger Mills
writes
[...]

As no-one else has answered, I thought I'd pop up to say that I've been
trying to use the HP AiO Android app to scan and to print via my HP
scanner/printer on the local network.
It scans OK and can print and also email the scan to a Windows machine.
The local print comes out about half the size I expect, and the email
arrives with a HUGE jpg.
I'm soon going to try the same thing pointing it towards the Dell AiO
printer.
After that I was hoping to try some sort of remote 'cloud' printing.

My problem is lack of time at the moment, so I'll hope more replies roll
in to help me, too.
--
Bill

Cloud 9 Underlay which way up? Steven Campbell[_3_] UK diy 11 April 9th 19 10:24 AM
Is CAD in the Cloud Truly Terrifying? jon_banquer[_2_] Metalworking 0 July 23rd 13 07:58 PM
OT The Cloud Metspitzer Home Repair 47 April 27th 11 04:11 AM
Cloud 9 underlay - opinions ? Colin Wilson UK diy 6 April 20th 09 10:26 AM
Red cloud cleaner [email protected] Home Repair 11 February 25th 06 11:39 AM