Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default IT problem (slightly OT)

Only DIY in the sense that I am trying to fix it; plenty of expertise
here though!

I have an Acer E1-572P about 9 months old which was fine once I got over
the hassle of stripping out the bloat, updating 8 so that I could
upgrade to 8.1, then updating that.

But three weeks ago (after a windows update) I had a form of BSOD with
"page fault in non paged area", initially recovered by going to a
restore point, but then it reappeared, it wouldn't recover from the USB
recovery drive which I made at setup time, and I had to go back to a
fresh install with best part of a day wasted in the cleanup and
reinstall process. The only "new" software installed was Office 365.

Today I found I needed a Java install (to access a VPN) and on
attempting to restart, hit the BSOD again.

It passes the built-in windows memory test, sfc/scannow suggests there
are corrupted system files but I can't immediately make any sense of the
384k CBS.LOG file. I don't have any install disks.

I am inclined to take it back to the supplier and jump up and down, but
does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be wrong? I am
reluctant to spend too long on it. I actually find them quite nice
machines (not too bulky but good screen and keyboard), I suppose I could
turn it into a linux box.

TIA
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 03 Feb 2015 12:21:41 +0000
newshound wrote:

I am inclined to take it back to the supplier and jump up and down,
but does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be wrong? I am
reluctant to spend too long on it. I actually find them quite nice
machines (not too bulky but good screen and keyboard), I suppose I
could turn it into a linux box.

Do that, and retain the Windows in a separate partition in case you want
to continue to play with it. That way, you have a useable machine while
still trying to sort out Windows. Then realise that you don't need
Windows anyway.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/02/2015 12:21, newshound wrote:

I have an Acer E1-572P about 9 months old which was fine once I got over
the hassle of stripping out the bloat, updating 8 so that I could
upgrade to 8.1, then updating that.

But three weeks ago (after a windows update) I had a form of BSOD with
"page fault in non paged area"...

From memory, there was an issue with a recent Windows update that
caused problems for some machines. I believe Microsoft issued a fix.

www.vulcantothesky.org - keep the last remaining Vulcan flying

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, February 3, 2015 at 12:21:45 PM UTC, newshound wrote:
[...]

If you do linux it you simply wont have these problems in future. If a linux distro doesnt behave with your machine, its trivial to put another linux disc in, and if all is well install it

I learnt the time wasting way that windows is best not to spend too much time on.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 3 February 2015 21:51:23 UTC, wrote:
Best I can suggest is dont pay for windows in the first place. Since
I went linux I've not looked back. 99% is self explanatory, ...

.... and the remaining 1 % is completely insoluble because the manufacturer doesn't support the hardware or the software isn't available.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 03 Feb 2015 21:50:46 +0000
"michael newport" wrote:

newshound wrote:

I am inclined to take it back to the supplier and jump up and down,
but does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be wrong? I
am reluctant to spend too long on it. I actually find them quite
nice machines (not too bulky but good screen and keyboard), I
suppose I could turn it into a linux box.

Do that, and retain the Windows in a separate partition in case you
want to continue to play with it. That way, you have a useable
machine while still trying to sort out Windows. Then realise that
you don't need Windows anyway.

When I saw read the O/P I bet myself which respondent would say what
you just did. I bet No 1 - and I won! What a really usless reply to
give someone. It's the same as giving directions to someone by saying
'I wouldn't start from here'. Usless, outdated and we've heard it a
zillion times before.

There seem to be several other posters who agree with me.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bod wrote:
When I installed Linux, everything worked, I didn't have to hunt for any
drivers.

That is of course the general situation with Linux installations.
Everything you need (applications and drivers) lives in one Linux
repository and gets installed as needed.

Getting drivers from a particular manufacturer's web site just doesn't
happen, neither does the 'searching for drivers' that you often hear
about with Windows.

Now this does mean that Linux doesn't work with every single device
out there but the coverage is pretty good. The only exceptions tend
to be where a manufacturer has written a custom driver that doesn't
conform to existing standards.

In my personal experience the only things that don't "just work" in
Linux are Garmin SatNavs, some functions of smartphones and an Epson
scanner (which works in Linux, but the custom software for Windows is
good enough for me to want to use it).

--
Chris Green
·

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/02/15 00:10, Davey wrote:
It's the same as giving directions to someone by saying
'I wouldn't start from here'. Usless, outdated and we've heard it a
zillion times before.

There seem to be several other posters who agree with me.

I think the 'well if I were here I wouldn't go there' approach is more
valid than people assume.

If there is a purpose to going to there, maybe that purpose can more
easily be satisfied by going *somewhere else instead*.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/02/15 09:14, Bod wrote:
On 03/02/15 22:11, wrote:
On Tuesday, 3 February 2015 21:51:23 UTC, wrote:
Best I can suggest is dont pay for windows in the first place. Since
I went linux I've not looked back. 99% is self explanatory, ...

... and the remaining 1 % is completely insoluble because the
manufacturer doesn't support the hardware or the software isn't
available.

????

what ARE you on about?

That sounds more like OS-X...

Owain

When I installed Linux, everything worked, I didn't have to hunt for any
drivers.

Exactly.

The last time I *had* to manually install a driver was to get an ageing
laptops broadcom wifi chipset to squawk.

The reason for manual installation being that broadcomm wrote the driver
and didn't release its source code..so legally it couldn't be included
as part of the main distribution.

I have also added Nvidia graphic drivers manually, but the default
drivers work as well so I didn't need to.

The current workaround seems to be an unholy compromise that whilst you
cant actually include non-free code as part of the distribution, you
can include code that is capable of downloading it from somewhere else
and installing it...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 4 Feb 2015 10:30:48 +0000
wrote:

That is of course the general situation with Linux installations.
Everything you need (applications and drivers) lives in one Linux
repository and gets installed as needed.

Getting drivers from a particular manufacturer's web site just doesn't
happen, neither does the 'searching for drivers' that you often hear
about with Windows.

Now this does mean that Linux doesn't work with every single device
out there but the coverage is pretty good. The only exceptions tend
to be where a manufacturer has written a custom driver that doesn't
conform to existing standards.

In my personal experience the only things that don't "just work" in
Linux are Garmin SatNavs, some functions of smartphones and an Epson
scanner (which works in Linux, but the custom software for Windows is
good enough for me to want to use it).

To that list, I would add the VCR-PC device EZCap, which I could not
get to work with Linux, even with the help of folks in the UK Linux NG.
It is quite possible that there is a way, but when the Windows software
supplied, which was what it was designed for, works fine, that is what
I use. If it were not for that one instance, I would not bother to keep
Win7 on my machine.
My Samsung laptop's NVIDIA card had problems working with Ubuntu 10.04,
and needed some work to sort out, but ver. 12.04 just loaded up and ran
the card without any intervention required.
And I don't miss the interminable hours taken for Windows updates to
download and then install, I just don't bother to connect Windows to
the internet any more.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 04 Feb 2015 10:30:57 +0000
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 04/02/15 00:10, Davey wrote:
It's the same as giving directions to someone by saying
'I wouldn't start from here'. Usless, outdated and we've heard it
a zillion times before.

There seem to be several other posters who agree with me.

I think the 'well if I were here I wouldn't go there' approach is
more valid than people assume.

If there is a purpose to going to there, maybe that purpose can more
easily be satisfied by going *somewhere else instead*.

You may be right, I think......
And I still think that my original message was valid, there was nothing
wrong with the advice I offered, old or not.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/02/15 10:45, Davey wrote:

My Samsung laptop's NVIDIA card had problems working with Ubuntu 10.04,
and needed some work to sort out, but ver. 12.04 just loaded up and ran
the card without any intervention required.
And I don't miss the interminable hours taken for Windows updates to
download and then install, I just don't bother to connect Windows to
the internet any more.

Yes. I never actually noticed it happening, but at some point in the
last 5 years using a modern Linux actually was EASIER than using a
modern windows in terms of installation upgrades and general user
friendliness.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 04 Feb 2015 10:45:08 +0000, Davey wrote:

To that list, I would add the VCR-PC device EZCap, which I could not
get to work with Linux, even with the help of folks in the UK Linux NG.
It is quite possible that there is a way, but when the Windows software
supplied, which was what it was designed for, works fine, that is what I
use. If it were not for that one instance, I would not bother to keep
Win7 on my machine.

I have to have Win7 around for a few work related things, and to run the
chip programmer. Add to that the Fujitsu ScanSnap software, which is very
good indeed; there's no way I would replace that with SANE or anything.

Not that I use upstart systems like Linux...

wish to copy them they can pay me £30a message.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/02/2015 21:01, Dennis@home wrote:
On 03/02/2015 20:14, newshound wrote:
On 03/02/2015 19:10, wrote:

snip

If you do linux it you simply wont have these problems in future. If a
linux distro doesnt behave with your machine, its trivial to put
another linux disc in, and if all is well install it

I learnt the time wasting way that windows is best not to spend too
much time on.

NT

Agreed. I just gave up after spending an hour trying to move contacts
from my old windows phone to a new android one. Can't get the old phone
to synchronise to any of my MS accounts (hotmail, livemail, outlook).

I'm still looking for some ammunition to hit the laptop supplier with,
though. I wouldn't be *too* unhappy if they just gave me a non-oem Win
8.1 install disk, at least that would avoid the bloat and the multiple
update downloads.

Tried..?
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...-refresh-media

Thanks, yes I had thought about trying that (I have another "currently
good" E1-572P running 8.1). However IME a lot of MS official help looks
very useful at first sight, but ends up not working at all. My latest
instance was yesterday, apparently detailed instructions on how to
download windows phone contacts to a .csf file, except that I couldn't
get the phone to synchronise to any of my MS accounts, and even if I
had, the MS account web pages have changed so that the download options
are not where the original help said. I am rapidly running out of
patience with MS. When another Windows ultrabook died recently (hardware
fault, accepted by supplier) I ended up getting my first Mac as a
replacement. (I do need to retain *some* windows capability because I
sometimes use MathCAD and I have a windows license).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/02/2015 11:05, Bob Eager wrote:
On Wed, 04 Feb 2015 10:45:08 +0000, Davey wrote:

To that list, I would add the VCR-PC device EZCap, which I could not
get to work with Linux, even with the help of folks in the UK Linux NG.
It is quite possible that there is a way, but when the Windows software
supplied, which was what it was designed for, works fine, that is what I
use. If it were not for that one instance, I would not bother to keep
Win7 on my machine.

I have to have Win7 around for a few work related things, and to run the
chip programmer. Add to that the Fujitsu ScanSnap software, which is very
good indeed; there's no way I would replace that with SANE or anything.

Not that I use upstart systems like Linux...

Scanner use in linux is terrible.
It needs a program like paperport to sort it out but there isn't one.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 04 Feb 2015 15:24:37 +0000, "Dennis@home" wrote:

On 04/02/2015 11:05, Bob Eager wrote:
On Wed, 04 Feb 2015 10:45:08 +0000, Davey wrote:

To that list, I would add the VCR-PC device EZCap, which I could not
get to work with Linux, even with the help of folks in the UK Linux NG.
It is quite possible that there is a way, but when the Windows software
supplied, which was what it was designed for, works fine, that is what I
use. If it were not for that one instance, I would not bother to keep
Win7 on my machine.

I have to have Win7 around for a few work related things, and to run the
chip programmer. Add to that the Fujitsu ScanSnap software, which is very
good indeed; there's no way I would replace that with SANE or anything.

Not that I use upstart systems like Linux...

Scanner use in linux is terrible.
It needs a program like paperport to sort it out but there isn't one.

I have Linux Mint on what was an old WinXP box, the Canon A4 scanner was recognised and
worked as soon as I tried using it.
Maybe I was lucky and I realise that one working example does not refute any expertise in
the subject that you may have.

--
Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd.
http://www.sandrila.co.uk/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I have an Artec flatbed scanner, and as long as I put the .cfg file
where it can be found, according to the instructions, then SANE works
just fine on my Ubuntu, vers. 8.04, 10.04, and 12.04.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I'm sure it would *work*. But the Windows software is truly excellent and
has extensive capabilities.

wish to copy them they can pay me £30a message.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

As I said, I'm sure I could get SANE to work. But the facilities provided
by the Windows software, out of the box, go way beyond that.

wish to copy them they can pay me £30a message.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/02/2015 16:20, Paul Herber wrote:
[...]

My brother mfc wasn't.
When I did get it recognised it wouldn't scan multiple pages from the
adf or do double sided or anything else useful like working over the
network only usb.
Pretty cr@p really and not worth the effort when it just works on
windows with paperport.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

what more than the ability to scan a page do you NEED from scanning
software? All the smarts in is in the bitmap editing software you will use.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

simplescan actually.

but again, so what? I dont need all that ****. I just want to scan. I'll
clean up in the gimp later on

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

You cleraly haven't seen the software, then. Most of what needs doing can
be automated; throw in a wad of paper and out comes one...or fifty...PDFs
as required. Or a Word file, OCR'd. Yes, it can be done with other
software....but not out of the box with one push of a button.

wish to copy them they can pay me £30a message.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 04 Feb 2015 18:18:58 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

but again, so what? I dont need all that ****. I just want to scan. I'll
clean up in the gimp later on

Cleanup (if required) is a separate issue. Yes, I'd use Gimp for that if
required, but largely it's just done on the fly. Much easier and quicker.

You clearly haven't seen the capabilities of this software.

wish to copy them they can pay me £30a message.