Posted to alt.autos.volvo,uk.d-i-y

Default Car alarm problem (slightly OT to uk.d-i-y)

The alarm on my 2007 Volvo V70 (S80 platform - not latest shape) keeps
going off for no apparent reason. I can stop it happening by pressing
the button to disable the spacial detector before locking the car, but
that reduces the security level, so I'd rather not have to do that.

Has anyone got any experience of this sort of thing, and any bright
ideas of what to look for? I've come across this sort of thing in the
past when windows have been left slightly open on hot days, but all my
windows and doors are firmly shut!

I guess that an OBD-II reader might throw up some codes which would
offer a clue - I'll post separately on that!
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to alt.autos.volvo,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Roger Mills wrote:
I guess that an OBD-II reader might throw up some codes which would
offer a clue - I'll post separately on that!

Don't think OBD-II covers alarms.

--
*If a turtle doesn't have a shell, is he homeless or naked?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to alt.autos.volvo,uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 15 Sep 2013 11:16:18 +0100, Roger Mills wrote:

The alarm on my 2007 Volvo V70 (S80 platform - not latest shape) keeps
going off for no apparent reason. I can stop it happening by pressing
the button to disable the spacial detector before locking the car

If it's not something blindingly daft like a wasp or fly caught in the
car, then it might be an ultrasonic sensor going south.

I guess that an OBD-II reader might throw up some codes which would
offer a clue - I'll post separately on that!

Unlikely. OBD just does the basics of engine management. A Volvo-specific
diagnostic may well, though.
Posted to alt.autos.volvo,uk.d-i-y

On 15/09/2013 11:16, Roger Mills wrote:
The alarm on my 2007 Volvo V70 (S80 platform - not latest shape) keeps
going off for no apparent reason. I can stop it happening by pressing
the button to disable the spacial detector before locking the car, but
that reduces the security level, so I'd rather not have to do that.

Has anyone got any experience of this sort of thing, and any bright
ideas of what to look for? I've come across this sort of thing in the
past when windows have been left slightly open on hot days, but all my
windows and doors are firmly shut!

I guess that an OBD-II reader might throw up some codes which would
offer a clue - I'll post separately on that!

Had this with a 2004 V70.

What seemed to work - but eventually didn't - was taking change out of
the well pocket between the seats. There was a comment somewhere
referring to a sensor located there which became upset at having metal
nearby.

But it may be worth a punt.

There is a known problem with the alarms of Volvos. The battery dies.
[It has to be battery powered for security].

To add to your woes - replacement units are expensive [~£150*] and they
are not easy to replace [obviously you would prefer if if a thief could
not just unscrew it].

* -

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=155240

Flop

Posted to alt.autos.volvo,uk.d-i-y

On 15/09/2013 11:26, Adrian wrote:
On Sun, 15 Sep 2013 11:16:18 +0100, Roger Mills wrote:

The alarm on my 2007 Volvo V70 (S80 platform - not latest shape) keeps
going off for no apparent reason. I can stop it happening by pressing
the button to disable the spacial detector before locking the car

If it's not something blindingly daft like a wasp or fly caught in the
car, then it might be an ultrasonic sensor going south.

I'm not aware of any live creature moving about in the car, but I'll
re-check. It's been doing it for far longer than the life expectancy of
your average fly. Maybe spiders live a bit longer?

I guess that an OBD-II reader might throw up some codes which would
offer a clue - I'll post separately on that!

Unlikely. OBD just does the basics of engine management. A Volvo-specific
diagnostic may well, though.

You may be right. My Haynes manual suggests that a Volvo dealer would be
able to use some sort of diagnostic device - but doesn't explicitly
mention OBD-II in this regard.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to alt.autos.volvo,uk.d-i-y

On 15/09/2013 11:16, Roger Mills wrote:

I guess that an OBD-II reader might throw up some codes which would
offer a clue - I'll post separately on that!

If you haven't got a reader, a OBD-II adapter/bluetooth transmitter
(ELM327) from Ebay for less than £10 coupled with the Torque App
(Android and Apple) for a smart phone works very well.
http://www.simvalley.us/torque-andro...tion-overview/

I suspect that an alarm sensor may not show up on a OBD-II fault report.

Posted to alt.autos.volvo,uk.d-i-y

I had a similar problem with an S60 and found that there was a touch of
dampness in a sensor at the lower part of the engine, once the dealer
replaced that all was well.
Also had a problem with a Volvo v50 where the problem was with the wiring to
the caravan.

"Roger Mills" wrote in message ...

The alarm on my 2007 Volvo V70 (S80 platform - not latest shape) keeps
going off for no apparent reason. I can stop it happening by pressing
the button to disable the spacial detector before locking the car, but
that reduces the security level, so I'd rather not have to do that.

Has anyone got any experience of this sort of thing, and any bright
ideas of what to look for? I've come across this sort of thing in the
past when windows have been left slightly open on hot days, but all my
windows and doors are firmly shut!

I guess that an OBD-II reader might throw up some codes which would
offer a clue - I'll post separately on that!
--
Cheers,
Roger
____________
checked.

Posted to alt.autos.volvo,uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills grunted in news:b9lfm2F86s1U1
@mid.individual.net:

The alarm on my 2007 Volvo V70 (S80 platform - not latest shape) keeps
going off for no apparent reason. I can stop it happening by pressing
the button to disable the spacial detector before locking the car, but
that reduces the security level, so I'd rather not have to do that.

My 2003 Zafira has the same problem. I was advised that it was due to the
rechargeable battery within the sealed sounder unit not having enough
charge in it - the unit interprets this as someone tampering and trying to
disconnect the alarm, so it goes ape-**** as a result. I had the sounder
replaced (not possible to simply change the batteries) - it was a very
expensive component and quite awkward to do as it's concealed somewhere up
in the wheel arch - and that sorted the problem for quite a few months,
however it came back.

I suspect therefore the unit's not getting enough juice off the car or
something; however I've not investigated further and these days, I'm afraid
I just disable it on the basis that's a pretty unattractive vehicle for
tea-leaves, and there's never anything of value left inside... touch wood.
Posted to alt.autos.volvo,uk.d-i-y

On 9/15/2013 6:16 AM, Roger Mills wrote:
The alarm on my 2007 Volvo V70 (S80 platform - not latest shape) keeps
going off for no apparent reason. I can stop it happening by pressing
the button to disable the spacial detector before locking the car, but
that reduces the security level, so I'd rather not have to do that.

Has anyone got any experience of this sort of thing, and any bright
ideas of what to look for? I've come across this sort of thing in the
past when windows have been left slightly open on hot days, but all my
windows and doors are firmly shut!

I guess that an OBD-II reader might throw up some codes which would
offer a clue - I'll post separately on that!

The Alarm Siren is going bad it needs to be replaced

Posted to alt.autos.volvo,uk.d-i-y

Just seen on TV that a rat was living in a car. Lots of trouble that comes
with it. Lights fall out, Alarm goes off.
Idea??

Pieter

"Roger Mills" schreef in bericht ...

[...]

Posted to alt.autos.volvo,uk.d-i-y

On 09/11/2013 11:04, Pieter wrote:
Just seen on TV that a rat was living in a car. Lots of trouble that
comes with it. Lights fall out, Alarm goes off.
Idea??

Pieter

I think if there were a rat in the car, I'd have seen some evidence by now!
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have a Oct 2013 V70 and the alarm goes off with no good cause every 5-10 days. The interior sensor has been replaced and it then it went off the very next day. Volvo dont seem to know what to do.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 20 Feb 2014 05:07:08 -0800, 446723 wrote:

I have a Oct 2013 V70 and the alarm goes off with no good cause every
5-10 days. The interior sensor has been replaced and it then it went off
the very next day. Volvo dont seem to know what to do.

Does the alarm have a way of overriding the internal volumetric
ultrasonic sensors when armed? If so, see if that prevents the problem.
It'll isolate it to whether it's the ultrasonics or something else.

Other than that, it's a warranty problem. Keep leaning on them. If they
continue to be useless, try another dealer or escalate it to Volvo UK.

Bear in mind, though, that if it IS the ultrasonics, it MIGHT be
something as simple as a spider in the car...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 20 Feb 2014 13:35:34 +0000 (UTC)
Adrian wrote:

On Thu, 20 Feb 2014 05:07:08 -0800, 446723 wrote:

I have a Oct 2013 V70 and the alarm goes off with no good cause
every 5-10 days. The interior sensor has been replaced and it then
it went off the very next day. Volvo dont seem to know what to do.

Does the alarm have a way of overriding the internal volumetric
ultrasonic sensors when armed? If so, see if that prevents the
problem. It'll isolate it to whether it's the ultrasonics or
something else.

Other than that, it's a warranty problem. Keep leaning on them. If
they continue to be useless, try another dealer or escalate it to
Volvo UK.

Bear in mind, though, that if it IS the ultrasonics, it MIGHT be
something as simple as a spider in the car...

....or something bigger that hides when you are in it..... with four
feet....do you leave crumbs around the floor or seats?

--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Adrian
writes
On Thu, 20 Feb 2014 05:07:08 -0800, 446723 wrote:

I have a Oct 2013 V70 and the alarm goes off with no good cause every
5-10 days. The interior sensor has been replaced and it then it went off
the very next day. Volvo dont seem to know what to do.

Does the alarm have a way of overriding the internal volumetric
ultrasonic sensors when armed? If so, see if that prevents the problem.
It'll isolate it to whether it's the ultrasonics or something else.

May be as simple as alarming it with the driver's door open.
Other than that, it's a warranty problem. Keep leaning on them. If they
continue to be useless, try another dealer or escalate it to Volvo UK.

Bear in mind, though, that if it IS the ultrasonics, it MIGHT be
something as simple as a spider in the car...

Or leaving it with a window slightly open.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hello
I have the same problem a year ago. I fix the wires to the lid in the back, as it was broken. But now the alarm has gone off several times again. Always with phones and/or Ipad in the car. So I suspect Bluetooth, wifi or mobile-connection to be the problem.
There is no messages about why the alarm has gone off. With the wires I think there was a specific message.
The dealership said last time I asked, that they did not now off any problem.
But it Is a problem to test, because off the Sound/noise...
So I look forward to find out. I must find a place, where it doesn't matter with the noise. I have a volvo v70 II, MY 2007.
I now this is an old tread, but have someone found the error.
/ Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I found this on a house alarm once and basically mobile phones and
lightening tended to set it off. Small value capacitors on all the wired
inputs to the alarm more or less cured it, but it still did have spurious
alarms which could not be traced to anything.
It might be worth a try in a car, as its bound to pick up signals on
unscreened wiring, and if that is seen as somebody tampering then the alarm
sounds. I believe the house alarm used something called a window comparator,
so an open or short circuit set it off or in fact any liquid that partly
shorted the wires. It was supposed to be anti tamper as it used a balance
system to match the stable resistors in the sensors with one inside the
alarm, if it went out of balance it set the aarm off.
Don't know if car alarms work the same way.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
wrote in message
Hello
I have the same problem a year ago. I fix the wires to the lid in the back,
as it was broken. But now the alarm has gone off several times again. Always
with phones and/or Ipad in the car. So I suspect Bluetooth, wifi or
mobile-connection to be the problem.
There is no messages about why the alarm has gone off. With the wires I
think there was a specific message.
The dealership said last time I asked, that they did not now off any
problem.
But it Is a problem to test, because off the Sound/noise...
So I look forward to find out. I must find a place, where it doesn't matter
with the noise. I have a volvo v70 II, MY 2007.
I now this is an old tread, but have someone found the error.
/ Brian

Electrical problem, slightly OT Christopher Nelson Home Repair 8 December 18th 08 02:40 AM
OT - Slightly - Eyeglass frame problem LouB Home Repair 15 December 14th 08 09:44 PM
alarm problem Dormoff UK diy 6 September 15th 07 02:20 PM
Pool cleaner hose connection problem, Slightly OT mclorson Metalworking 5 July 27th 05 12:39 AM
Slightly O/T.. Lawnmower problem Scott Bowers UK diy 7 August 12th 03 12:33 AM