mclorson

Default Pool cleaner hose connection problem, Slightly OT

I always have trouble disconnectiong the automatic pool cleaner from
the wall fitting in my swimming pool. I have had several brands over
the years and while the plastic channel plus peg twist-in fitting
seems to work initially, after some time in the water, even well
lubricated, it gets too difficult to turn from outside the pool. I
cannot enter the pool every time I need to super chlorinate or I want
to swim without the cleaner in the pool. I need some sort of quick
change gas/air hose fitting or something that will allow easy removal
from outside the pool. Now I lay down on the pool deck, extend my arms
into the pool and at that angle I don't seem to have enough upper body
leverage to push in with enough force. It (the fitting) cannot be too
heavy or large as the action of the pool cleaner will be affected. The
ideal solution would be a screw in fitting that is permanent in the
wall with a pop off, and easily pressed in fitting at the end of the
hose. Better yet, something on the hose where I can reach down and pick
up the hose out of the water, push and pull the fittings leaving a
small pig tail in the pool. Any suggestions as to where I might acquire
these type of fittings? Preferably light plastic. Similar experiences?
Thanks,
Mike

rigger

Are you using silicone grease for a lube? Helps a lot on on my similar
fittings.

dennis in nca

You might just dress the fittings you have with some fine sandpaper and
then use a little lubricant. Saop/silicone grease etc.
From what I have seen of plastic fittings the surfaces swell a bit and

become pitted.
Wet or dry type silicon carbide paper from any auto parts or decent
hardware store.
180-220 grit to start would work.

Rick

"mclorson" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

What size hose? Do they need to close themselves off during removal?
If not, check out some plastic cam locks at Lowes. Not sure if Home
Depot has them....

mclorson

Are you using silicone grease for a lube? Helps a lot on on my similar
fittings.

Yes, it is well lubed with silicone lubricant.

What size hose? Do they need to close themselves off during removal?

If not, check out some plastic cam locks at Lowes. Not sure if Home
Depot has them....

I'll check the size of the hose.
No it is does not need to be closed off. Are we talking the plumbing
dept at Lowes?

Sunworshipper

On 26 Jul 2005 09:53:42 -0700, "mclorson"
wrote:

[...]

Go to a swimming pool store and get AquaLube or MagicLube you should
have some anyway for the other rubber parts on the pool. I think the
green stuff lasts longer , but the clear won't show up on the pool if
you get crazy with it.

They make all kinds of quick disconnects. Sounds like your pool
cleaner works on water pressure cause the suction type just pull out
of the wall. You did turn the pump off , didn't you? Most of the
time with pool cleaners it's best to bend over and get the original
parts. BTW they will be more understanding at a retail store.

I know that the Polaris pool sweeps use hose that will fit over 3/4
hose fittings cause that's what I use for my water level. Also, the
chemicals and sunlight will mess up the plastic and forcing things is
a bad idea when working on pools.

Detergents and cleaners FAQ [email protected] UK diy 49 September 25th 05 11:34 PM
Hose connection question Ed UK diy 35 May 19th 05 04:02 PM
Surface ground water problem [email protected] Home Repair 2 July 9th 04 07:53 PM
Slightly O/T.. Lawnmower problem Scott Bowers UK diy 7 August 12th 03 12:33 AM