Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT - Slightly - Eyeglass frame problem

The metal support for one of the nose pieces broke off my eyeglass
frame. Frame is metal.
Any ideas other than buying new frames ($$$)?

Lou
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 13, 9:02*am, LouB wrote:
The metal support for one of the nose pieces broke off my eyeglass
frame. *Frame is metal.
Any ideas other than buying new frames ($$$)?

Lou

I've used epoxy to put them back together, but in my sxperience, it
doesn't last more than a couple weeks worth of use. It is suitable
however for making them into a backup pair that you keep in the car
for emergency use, etc.

A jeweler may be able to weld it back together, but then the paint or
finish is going to shot in that area, which presents a new problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

LouB wrote:
The metal support for one of the nose pieces broke off my eyeglass
frame. Frame is metal.
Any ideas other than buying new frames ($$$)?

I brazed one of those with a microflame torch
http://www.azuremoon.com/tek9.asp?pg...cific=jnlrcoi0
once--discolored the frame though. How well that's going to work
depends on the frame--brazing steel is pretty easy, brazing titanium I
suspect needs more than a microtorch.

You could try epoxy.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 13, 8:02*am, LouB wrote:
The metal support for one of the nose pieces broke off my eyeglass
frame. *Frame is metal.
Any ideas other than buying new frames ($$$)?

Lou

Have you given any thought to JB Weld? (http://jbweld.net/index.php)

It's pretty tough stuff, in my opinion and may do well for you.

Lewis.

*****

Posted to alt.home.repair

LouB wrote:
The metal support for one of the nose pieces broke off my eyeglass
frame. Frame is metal.
Any ideas other than buying new frames ($$$)?

Lou

Have you Googled for

eyeglass frame repair weld

yet ??

There are places:
you can send frames in for repair,
places that will send you a repair kit,
sites with how-to advice
Posted to alt.home.repair

"LouB" wrote in message
The metal support for one of the nose pieces broke off my eyeglass frame.
Frame is metal.
Any ideas other than buying new frames ($$$)?

White adhesive tape? :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 09:02:40 -0500, LouB wrote:

The metal support for one of the nose pieces broke off my eyeglass
frame. Frame is metal.
Any ideas other than buying new frames ($$$)?

Lou

Depends on what the frames are made of. Many are titanium and cannot
be field repaired. If you can get all the numbers off the frames, you
may be able to buy an exact replacemnet frame online for very little
money. Frames usually have the manufacturer, and/or model number or
name on the inside of the earpiece. Inside the bridge will usually be
the numbers indicating the size of the frame in millimeters. It will
usually be three numbers that correspond to the width of the lens at
the widest point, the length of the bridge between the lenses, and the
height of the lens area. If only two numbers it's the lens width and
bridge width. Just googling on the frame model number will usually get
you several websites that have your frame.

Posted to alt.home.repair

LouB wrote:
The metal support for one of the nose pieces broke off my eyeglass
frame. Frame is metal.
Any ideas other than buying new frames ($$$)?

Eyeglass frames are *incredibly* marked up. Buy the same thing online at a
fraction of your local optician's price.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Reed wrote:
LouB wrote:
The metal support for one of the nose pieces broke off my eyeglass
frame. Frame is metal.
Any ideas other than buying new frames ($$$)?

Lou

Have you Googled for

eyeglass frame repair weld

yet ??

There are places:
you can send frames in for repair,
places that will send you a repair kit,
sites with how-to advice

THank You!!

I never dreamed there would be such businesses, and there are.!!!

Results 1 - 10 of about 88,100 English pages for eyeglass frame repair
weld found via
http://www.google.com/search?q=eyegl...L_enUS177US215

Lou

Posted to alt.home.repair

Reed wrote:
LouB wrote:
The metal support for one of the nose pieces broke off my eyeglass
frame. Frame is metal.
Any ideas other than buying new frames ($$$)?

Lou

Have you Googled for

eyeglass frame repair weld

yet ??

There are places:
you can send frames in for repair,
places that will send you a repair kit,
sites with how-to advice

Yellow Pages- look for jewelers/silversmiths that advertise in-house
custom work. (IOW, not at a mall.) The work you want is very much like
fixing an old piece of jewelry. No big deal with the right tools,
supplies, and experience, but not really cost-effective for a one-time
DIY project.

But discuss ballpark cost figures with them first- with entry-level
glasses from a McEyedoctor being only 50-60 bucks, I'd be inclined to
put this in the 'life is too damn short' category, and just replace them.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat 13 Dec 2008 07:02:40a, LouB told us...

The metal support for one of the nose pieces broke off my eyeglass
frame. Frame is metal.
Any ideas other than buying new frames ($$$)?

Lou

Break the other one off? Some frames have no nose pieces other than the
bridge resting on the nose.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Saturday, 12(XII)/13(XIII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Christmas Day
1wks 4dys 8hrs 44mins
Joshu's dog is chasing Scroedinger's cat around the yard again!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 22:05:18 GMT, aemeijers wrote:

Reed wrote:
LouB wrote:
[...]

Most jewlers will not work on eyeglasses, as they are not licensed
opticians.

No, really. I tried several of them once, and they all told me they
couldn't do it for that reason.
Posted to alt.home.repair

J. Clarke wrote:
LouB wrote:
The metal support for one of the nose pieces broke off my eyeglass
frame. Frame is metal.
Any ideas other than buying new frames ($$$)?

I brazed one of those with a microflame torch
http://www.azuremoon.com/tek9.asp?pg...cific=jnlrcoi0
once--discolored the frame though. How well that's going to work
depends on the frame--brazing steel is pretty easy, brazing titanium I
suspect needs more than a microtorch.

You could try epoxy.

I bought one of those torches at Radio Shack
many years ago. I don't know if RS still sells
the things though. I remember watching a spy
TV show where the spy cut through a steel door
with one of the things and it was quite some
time before I could stop laughing.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 20:07:00 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

J. Clarke wrote:
LouB wrote:
The metal support for one of the nose pieces broke off my eyeglass
frame. Frame is metal.
Any ideas other than buying new frames ($$$)?

I brazed one of those with a microflame torch
http://www.azuremoon.com/tek9.asp?pg...cific=jnlrcoi0
once--discolored the frame though. How well that's going to work
depends on the frame--brazing steel is pretty easy, brazing titanium I
suspect needs more than a microtorch.

You could try epoxy.

I bought one of those torches at Radio Shack
many years ago. I don't know if RS still sells
the things though. I remember watching a spy
TV show where the spy cut through a steel door
with one of the things and it was quite some
time before I could stop laughing.

TDD

A friend of mine who is pretty smart gave me one of those. I think
because he lives in an apartment and didn't have much storage space.

He kept talking about how hot it got, as if, it seemed to me, it would
be able to do big jobs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

LouB wrote:
The metal support for one of the nose pieces broke off my eyeglass
frame. Frame is metal.
Any ideas other than buying new frames ($$$)?

Lou

I'm shocked, shocked that no one has suggested Billy Mays' Mighty Putty
yet. G

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia