Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default bathroom wall mounted fan heaters....

Ageing rellies vintage 70s? dimplex wall mounted fan heater has retired.

Had adjustable rotary 'clockwork' 'countdown' timer, rotary adjustable heat controls, push button on/off.

Rellies keen to have similar, despite my doubts about the point of the 'countdown timer' - why would you want to leave the bathroom with a fan heater going for x minutes until it switched itself off??

Anyway, goggling reveals nothing very similar (no surprises there), anyone any pointers please?

TIA

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 1 Feb 2015 04:37:34 -0800 (PST), JimK
wrote:

Ageing rellies vintage 70s? dimplex wall mounted fan heater has retired.

Had adjustable rotary 'clockwork' 'countdown' timer, rotary adjustable heat controls, push button on/off.

Rellies keen to have similar, despite my doubts about the point of the 'countdown timer' - why would you want to leave the bathroom with a fan heater going for x minutes until it switched itself off??

Anyway, goggling reveals nothing very similar (no surprises there), anyone any pointers please?

TIA

Jim K

Are you sure it's an over-run timer, that starts at switch off, rather
than a run timer that starts at switch on, which would make more
sense?

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Ageing rellies vintage 70s? dimplex wall mounted fan heater has retired.

Had adjustable rotary 'clockwork' 'countdown' timer, rotary adjustable heat controls, push button on/off.

Rellies keen to have similar, despite my doubts about the point of the 'countdown timer' - why would you want to leave the bathroom with a fan heater going for x minutes until it switched itself off??

Anyway, goggling reveals nothing very similar (no surprises there), anyone any pointers please?

TIA

Jim K

Are you sure it's an over-run timer, that starts at switch off, rather
than a run timer that starts at switch on, which would make more
sense?

Oh sorry, I re-read your question and it is the latter scenario.
If the alternative it would be forgotten about and left on all day,
it's a good idea.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , JimK
writes
Ageing rellies vintage 70s? dimplex wall mounted fan heater has retired.

Had adjustable rotary 'clockwork' 'countdown' timer, rotary adjustable heat controls,
push button on/off.

Rellies keen to have similar, despite my doubts about the point of the 'countdown
timer' - why would you want to leave the bathroom with a fan heater going for x
minutes until it switched itself off??

Anyway, goggling reveals nothing very similar (no surprises there), anyone any
pointers please?

Dimplex are still doing them but with electronic timers (which comes as
no surprise). Current models appear to be pull cord triggered with a run
back timer for a set period (adjustable by jumpers, 5 - 80mins). Not
sure if the period can be terminated early.

See model DX FX20VE or DX FX20EIPX4 eg:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0009RPBEE

2kW but it appears to be internally switchable to 1kW.

Run on after a shower or bath isn't so daft as it will help dry the room
out, as long as there is some ventilation.

--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ebay has this http://tinyurl.com/oucuvtq

It says: "Supplied complete with Electronic run-back Timer which
automatically switches heater off after pre set time". Not clockwork,
but sounds similar./q

Yes I saw these on my goggling, but they have no thermostat, no heat adjustment (except on installation), & timer run on is fixed (on installation)

So not similar enough I reckon.

Cheers
Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

/Are you sure it's an over-run timer, that starts at switch off, rather
than a run timer that starts at switch on, which would make more
sense? /q

Mmm fair point, as its bust I'm not 100% sure what its supposed to do, I'll find out.....

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at 12:59:35 on
Sun, 1 Feb 2015, Graham. remarked:
Ageing rellies vintage 70s? dimplex wall mounted fan heater has retired.

Had adjustable rotary 'clockwork' 'countdown' timer, rotary adjustable heat controls, push button on/off.

Rellies keen to have similar, despite my doubts about the point of the 'countdown timer' - why would you want to leave the bathroom with a
fan heater going for x minutes until it switched itself off??

Anyway, goggling reveals nothing very similar (no surprises there), anyone any pointers please?

Are you sure it's an over-run timer, that starts at switch off, rather
than a run timer that starts at switch on, which would make more
sense?

Oh sorry, I re-read your question and it is the latter scenario.
If the alternative it would be forgotten about and left on all day,
it's a good idea.

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt (left such a bathroom heater on
all day by mistake).
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

All they ever seemed to do was collect filth, and heat t up the top metre or
so of the room they were in.
Far better were those bar firees with pull cords, silent and nice and
toasty as they use radiant heat not just blown out hot air.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"JimK" wrote in message
Ageing rellies vintage 70s? dimplex wall mounted fan heater has retired.

Had adjustable rotary 'clockwork' 'countdown' timer, rotary adjustable
heat controls, push button on/off.

Rellies keen to have similar, despite my doubts about the point of the
'countdown timer' - why would you want to leave the bathroom with a fan
heater going for x minutes until it switched itself off??

Anyway, goggling reveals nothing very similar (no surprises there), anyone
any pointers please?

TIA

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Not with the racket most used to make after a couple of years use, assuming
not jammed up and burned out by then of course due to all the damp crud that
they suck in.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active

wrote:

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

********. They work quite well.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 1 February 2015 15:44:58 UTC, ARW wrote:
********. They work quite well.

Especially if positioned so they (a) demist the mirror, and (b) can be stood under for hair-drying.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

+1.

+1 more vote for fan heaters in bathrooms.

I have one older Dimplex, of an age where it will last forever.

In the light of what you say the Dimplex here probably deserves special
mention next time we update our wills. After all, it's only 25

--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Posted to uk.d-i-y

JimK wrote

Ageing rellies vintage 70s? dimplex wall mounted fan heater has retired.

Had adjustable rotary 'clockwork' 'countdown' timer,
rotary adjustable heat controls, push button on/off.

Rellies keen to have similar, despite my doubts about the point of
the 'countdown timer' - why would you want to leave the bathroom
with a fan heater going for x minutes until it switched itself off??

Presumably to dry the place out after its been used.

Not the cheapest way to do that but it may not matter much in practice.

Anyway, goggling reveals nothing very similar
(no surprises there), anyone any pointers please?

Shouldn't be hard to add a timer to a wall mounted fan heater.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote
Brian Gaff wrote

All they ever seemed to do was collect filth, and heat
t up the top metre or so of the room they were in.

Far better were those bar firees with pull cords, silent and nice
and toasty as they use radiant heat not just blown out hot air.

********. They work quite well.

Yeah, I do it that way myself, with a couple of fan heaters
in the very coldest weather. I don't have a bath, just a
shower so there is no risk of slopped water at all.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW explained on 01/02/2015 :
"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
All they ever seemed to do was collect filth, and heat t up the top metre
or so of the room they were in.
Far better were those bar firees with pull cords, silent and nice and
toasty as they use radiant heat not just blown out hot air.
Brian

********. They work quite well.

No, they don't - or at least, only a bit.

Not long ago I had a dose of the squits at about 2.30am and had to sit
on the loo for about half an hour. It was very cold that night so I
obviously switched on the fan heater as soon as I walked in the room.
The model of fan heater we've got is like most on the market today in
that it starts off at 2kw output but then switches down to 1kw when
*IT,* not me, decides it's hot enough.

I'm sat there, shivering my watsits off, when after about 10 minutes I
hear the click of the fan switching to 1kw output. Up at fan height it
was indeed bleedin' boiling but down at loo level it was fookin
freezing!!!

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 02 Feb 2015 11:01:07 +0000, John wrote:

Up at fan height it was indeed bleedin' boiling but down at loo level
it was fookin freezing!!!

Sticking a heater up high then hoping doesn't change basic laws of
physics, unfortunately. Heat will always rise, no matter how much you
cross your fingers that it won't.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian presented the following explanation :
On Mon, 02 Feb 2015 11:01:07 +0000, John wrote:

Up at fan height it was indeed bleedin' boiling but down at loo level
it was fookin freezing!!!

Sticking a heater up high then hoping doesn't change basic laws of
physics, unfortunately. Heat will always rise, no matter how much you
cross your fingers that it won't.

It's not exactly high - ceilings are 7' 6" and the only place it could
go means that the outlet grille of the heater is at 5' 8". The
bathroom's only the size of a shoebox! Bloody useless things :-@

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 2 February 2015 11:00:56 UTC, John wrote:
ARW explained on 01/02/2015 :
"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
[...]

Ah that reminds me, the borked old one is mounted approx waist high on a wall opposite from the washbasin, I suspect it will be in Zone 3 (as more than 600mm away but less than 2.4m)

This seems to narrow the candidates further as e.g. Dimplex and other *bathroom* fan heaters say "pullcord operation" and installation instructions have a minimum height from floor figure 1800mm specified (and 600mm from any shelf).

I am obviously not wanting to do a dodgy replacement install here.... have the regs (and so available products) changed in these regards since the er 1970s/1980s? Is this why I can't find any fan heater units comparable to the old one?

What sort of fan heater can I put in Zone 3 "officially"?

TIA

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, February 1, 2015 at 3:07:30 PM UTC, Roland Perry wrote:

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt (left such a bathroom heater on
all day by mistake).

I knew someone who once left an iron on... for two weeks whilst he went on holiday!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:
"Mathew Newton" wrote in message
On Sunday, February 1, 2015 at 3:07:30 PM UTC, Roland Perry wrote:

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt (left such a bathroom heater
on all day by mistake).

I knew someone who once left an iron on... for two weeks whilst he
went on holiday!

He?

East End gangs in the 60s sometimes used a hot iron on people who had
displeased them so perhaps someone had really, really ****ed him off.
--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , ARW adamwadsworth@blueyond
er.co.uk escribió:

********. They work quite well.

+1. And the countdown timer is useful for getting rid of condensation
after a bath or shower. Means you don't forget to turn it off.

--
:: je suis Charlie :: yo soy Charlie :: ik ben Charlie ::