Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

Default Thinner for Evo-stik

I have a tin ov evo-stick, its gone a bit thick and would like to thin
is slightly.I am not sure if it is the old or new version. It contains
Heptane and isomers,solvent Naptha.

I have stuff like acetone and paint thinner kicking around, would they
be any good?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ss writes:
I have a tin ov evo-stick, its gone a bit thick and would like to thin
is slightly.I am not sure if it is the old or new version. It contains
Heptane and isomers,solvent Naptha.

I have stuff like acetone and paint thinner kicking around, would they
be any good?

Old evostick is toluine based, IIRC.
EU forced them to stop using toluine.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/01/2015 12:30, ss wrote:

I have a tin ov evo-stick, its gone a bit thick and would like to thin
is slightly.I am not sure if it is the old or new version. It contains
Heptane and isomers,solvent Naptha.

I have stuff like acetone and paint thinner kicking around, would they
be any good?

Unleaded petrol is closer to matching heptane and solvent naphtha.
Or the old Hammerite thinner which ISTR was almost pure xylene.

Be careful with highly flammable solvent thinners and be aware that a
really stiff gel will be thin and watery if you add slightly too much.

Add solvent a few drops at a time to a small test amount then scale up.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 20/01/2015 13:07, Martin Brown wrote:
On 20/01/2015 12:30, ss wrote:

I have a tin ov evo-stick, its gone a bit thick and would like to thin
is slightly.I am not sure if it is the old or new version. It contains
Heptane and isomers,solvent Naptha.

I have stuff like acetone and paint thinner kicking around, would they
be any good?

Unleaded petrol is closer to matching heptane and solvent naphtha.
Or the old Hammerite thinner which ISTR was almost pure xylene.

Be careful with highly flammable solvent thinners and be aware that a
really stiff gel will be thin and watery if you add slightly too much.

Add solvent a few drops at a time to a small test amount then scale up.

I`ll try some unleaded and see how it goes. Thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/01/2015 12:30, ss wrote:

I have a tin ov evo-stick, its gone a bit thick and would like to thin
is slightly.I am not sure if it is the old or new version. It contains
Heptane and isomers,solvent Naptha.

I have stuff like acetone and paint thinner kicking around, would they
be any good?

Unleaded petrol is closer to matching heptane and solvent naphtha.
Or the old Hammerite thinner which ISTR was almost pure xylene.

Be careful with highly flammable solvent thinners and be aware that a
really stiff gel will be thin and watery if you add slightly too much.

Add solvent a few drops at a time to a small test amount then scale up.

I`ll try some unleaded and see how it goes. Thanks

Evo-Stik remover is "heptane and isomers, solvent naphtha". More
expensive, but should work! TBH, I try not to use Evo-Stik if I don't
have some remover around....

wish to copy them they can pay me £30a message.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/01/2015 12:30, ss wrote:

I have a tin ov evo-stick, its gone a bit thick and would like to thin
is slightly.I am not sure if it is the old or new version. It contains
Heptane and isomers,solvent Naptha.

I have stuff like acetone and paint thinner kicking around, would they
be any good?

Unleaded petrol is closer to matching heptane and solvent naphtha.
Or the old Hammerite thinner which ISTR was almost pure xylene.

Be careful with highly flammable solvent thinners and be aware that a
really stiff gel will be thin and watery if you add slightly too much.

Add solvent a few drops at a time to a small test amount then scale up.

I`ll try some unleaded and see how it goes. Thanks

do appreciate doing that is dangerous, just in case you dont

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/01/2015 12:30, ss wrote:

I have a tin ov evo-stick, its gone a bit thick and would like to thin
is slightly.I am not sure if it is the old or new version. It contains
Heptane and isomers,solvent Naptha.

I have stuff like acetone and paint thinner kicking around, would they
be any good?

Unleaded petrol is closer to matching heptane and solvent naphtha.
Or the old Hammerite thinner which ISTR was almost pure xylene.

Be careful with highly flammable solvent thinners and be aware that a
really stiff gel will be thin and watery if you add slightly too much.

Add solvent a few drops at a time to a small test amount then scale up.

I`ll try some unleaded and see how it goes. Thanks

do appreciate doing that is dangerous, just in case you dont

NT

Basically, do it outside in the garden !
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 20/01/2015 12:30, ss wrote:

I have a tin ov evo-stick, its gone a bit thick and would like to thin
is slightly.I am not sure if it is the old or new version. It contains
Heptane and isomers,solvent Naptha.

I have stuff like acetone and paint thinner kicking around, would they
be any good?

Unleaded petrol is closer to matching heptane and solvent naphtha.
Or the old Hammerite thinner which ISTR was almost pure xylene.

Be careful with highly flammable solvent thinners and be aware that a
really stiff gel will be thin and watery if you add slightly too much.

Add solvent a few drops at a time to a small test amount then scale up.

I`ll try some unleaded and see how it goes. Thanks

do appreciate doing that is dangerous, just in case you dont

NT

Basically, do it outside in the garden !
Simon.

Have done. Couple of tablespoons of unleaded probably needs just a bit
more, but going in the right direction.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 20 Jan 2015 12:30:34 +0000, ss wrote:

I have a tin ov evo-stick, its gone a bit thick and would like to thin
is slightly.I am not sure if it is the old or new version. It contains
Heptane and isomers,solvent Naptha.

I have stuff like acetone and paint thinner kicking around, would they
be any good?

Evo used to sell tins of Evostik Remover. If they still do, some of
that might be an ideal thinner. The tin I've got smells quite
different to any other common solvent.
--
Dave W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave W wrote:
On Tue, 20 Jan 2015 12:30:34 +0000, ss wrote:

I have a tin ov evo-stick, its gone a bit thick and would like to thin
is slightly.I am not sure if it is the old or new version. It contains
Heptane and isomers,solvent Naptha.

I have stuff like acetone and paint thinner kicking around, would they
be any good?

Evo used to sell tins of Evostik Remover. If they still do, some of
that might be an ideal thinner. The tin I've got smells quite
different to any other common solvent.

It used to be the glue sniffer's favourite. Kept under lock and key in the
sheds. But Evostick changed its formulation for the worse not so long ago,
so may now use different stuff.

--
*A woman drove me to drink and I didn't have the decency to thank her

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 29 Jan 2015 17:35:22 +0000, Dave W wrote:

On Tue, 20 Jan 2015 12:30:34 +0000, ss wrote:

I have a tin ov evo-stick, its gone a bit thick and would like to thin
is slightly.I am not sure if it is the old or new version. It contains
Heptane and isomers,solvent Naptha.

I have stuff like acetone and paint thinner kicking around, would they
be any good?

Evo used to sell tins of Evostik Remover. If they still do, some of that
might be an ideal thinner. The tin I've got smells quite different to
any other common solvent.

I did mention that a few days ago. The can I bought recently was about 4
quid and has the same 'recipe' as the solvents in the glue.

wish to copy them they can pay me £30a message.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 29 Jan 2015 17:56:26 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Dave W wrote:
On Tue, 20 Jan 2015 12:30:34 +0000, ss wrote:

I have a tin ov evo-stick, its gone a bit thick and would like to thin
is slightly.I am not sure if it is the old or new version. It contains
Heptane and isomers,solvent Naptha.

I have stuff like acetone and paint thinner kicking around, would they
be any good?

Evo used to sell tins of Evostik Remover. If they still do, some of
that might be an ideal thinner. The tin I've got smells quite different
to any other common solvent.

It used to be the glue sniffer's favourite. Kept under lock and key in
the sheds. But Evostick changed its formulation for the worse not so
long ago,
so may now use different stuff.

That's the new formulation glue. My new tin of remover matches it.

wish to copy them they can pay me £30a message.

Thinner alternative to drywall? Bill Ventura Home Repair 31 March 14th 19 01:53 PM
Don't buy Green Paint Thinner Rich Woodworking 35 January 6th 11 03:22 AM
hammerite thinner news.virgin.net UK diy 12 February 13th 08 12:03 PM
BLO and Thinner Jimmy Woodworking 6 January 25th 07 09:33 AM
plywood's getting thinner.... bob Woodworking 29 January 5th 05 05:24 PM