Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Compressor dehumidifier

Who makes a decent, small, portable one?

I have a desiccant type (original purpose conservatory and shed,
alternately so needs to cope with cold, hence the choice).

It's been under trial drying clothes indoors and has been extremely
successful.

So I want to get it back to its intended purpose, and get a small more
efficient compressor type for indoors.

So - any recommendations? Quite, compact and long lived are the main
critera

Ta muchly

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ebac ? Think they also make wickes ones?
Though tbh my ebac is currently u/s as the fan motor is goosed. Approx 50 to fix (by me).

Or for half ebac prices, lidl/aldi and gamble on how long they last?

My 99 bnq sale jobby is working fine on daily basis, but is noisy (fan)

Jim .k
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 18 Jan 2015 14:59:41 +0000, Tim Watts wrote:

Who makes a decent, small, portable one?

So I want to get it back to its intended purpose, and get a small more
efficient compressor type for indoors.

So - any recommendations? Quite, compact and long lived are the main
critera

Ta muchly

Tim

Tim, we bought a Meaco 12L low energy dehumidifer just after Christmas
(John lewis), which is good for an average three bedroom house. I think
we paid around £160.

See www.meaco.com/proddetail.asp?prod=Platinum12L .

Power consumption: 165W
Water tank capacity: 2.5L
Weight: 9.5Kg
Sizwe (wxDxH0: 325x248x485mm.

We live in a Victorian terrace and this winter experienced some mould in
places on the outside walls. The unit was pulling around 4 - 5L a day for
around 2 weeks but now is off around a third of time and pulling about a
litre per 24 hours.. The humidity is now around 53-55% except when
cooking, etc.

Importantly, the house feels warmer and the gas central heating is on
less. No idea about life of the unit but I would think that it will pay
for itself in reduced heating bills within a couple of years.

Charlie.

--
He who throws dirt loses ground.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/01/15 15:31, Charlie wrote:
[...]

Thanks!

That and it's 20L sister get really good reviews on Amazon (but your
price is less, I'll check out JL) - one review:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Meaco-Dehumi...dp/B00HO963A6/

actually had it head to head with an EcoAir DD122FW which is what I've
got (except mine has the mechanical controls) and claimed it used a
little less and than the EcoAir power but the Meaco's extraction rate
was also higher, so it was significantly more efficient with both
factors combined.

That's on my list now...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
JimK writes:
Ebac ? Think they also make wickes ones?
Though tbh my ebac is currently u/s as the fan motor is goosed. Approx 50 to fix (by me).

Or for half ebac prices, lidl/aldi and gamble on how long they last?

My 99 bnq sale jobby is working fine on daily basis, but is noisy (fan)

I bought 3 from Homebase about 14 years ago, WDH-168H, which were still
available for many years afterwards. They looked just like one of the
ebac models of the time. One developed a fault on its circuit board
within a month, but having worked out it was a 5p zener diode which had
died, I fixed it myself. Two of them have had a lot of use, and a month
ago, the fan motor bearings started failing within a week of each other.
(For the moment, I've managed to get some oil into the ball bearings,
and that's got them running silently again, but it's a short term measure,
and I need to get around to ordering new bearings, which are fortunately
a very common size as they're the same as used on skate boards.)
Also, on one of these, the condensate microswitch just failed and I had
to replace it, but these have had 14 years of heavy use, so I' can't
complain.

These say 400W on the rating plate, although they're actually nearer 250W
when measured. They're all used mostly for clothes drying.

Some things to bear in mind when choosing...

If you don't want the thing to stop every so often when the tank fills,
make sure you get one which can discharge to a pipe for permanent
connection to a waste.

Some have a control panel which might offer you various options (timed,
humidity control, etc), but these often can't be controlled other than
from the panel (e.g. just turning the mains on and off will not cause
them to run). This will be an issue if you want to control one other
than from its own front panel.

If you are going to use one below around 15C ambient, it will need to
be one which can detect and handle condensate freezing on the evaporator.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

So I want to get it back to its intended purpose, and get a small more
efficient compressor type for indoors.

So - any recommendations? Quite, compact and long lived are the main
critera

I got an Ebac 2650e a few months ago based on the recommendation of
someone else on this group (sorry, I forget who it was).

It's proved very good for cloathes drying, and in the bathroom after a
shower. No complaints.

It cost me about 200 pounds, and uses around 200 watts.

My only complaint is that the manual is absolute rubbish.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/01/2015 15:12, JimK wrote:
Ebac ? Think they also make wickes ones?
Though tbh my ebac is currently u/s as the fan motor is goosed. Approx 50 to fix (by me).

Or for half ebac prices, lidl/aldi and gamble on how long they last?

My 99 bnq sale jobby is working fine on daily basis, but is noisy (fan)

Jim .k

I bought a rotating disc (non-compressor) version for use on my boat, as
these are far more efficinet in cold weather.

Been working fine for 2 seasons ... takes out a couple of litres a water
each week.

The model I bought was ECOAIR DD122FW as it won the top marks in tests
by a boating magazine.

I leave it on automatic set to 60% rhd and have a drain pipe sop
condensate goes direct outside boat to a 5L can.