Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Intermittent Dehumidifier Compressor

My dehumidifier works sometimes, but other times the compressor
doesn't seem to start up. Fan runs when it is supposed to, humid
level dial seems to be working, water level switch is ok.

When it runs, the coils get cold, 1 pipe from the compressor gets hot,
1 gets cold (where not covered by insulation) and everything is
golden. Other times, sound and fury (fan), but no dehumidification.

I went looking for a relay or something that might be stuck, didn't
find one, but did find: "Klixon 4TM" and "Jahwa Positive Temperature
Coefficient Thermistor" under a cover on the side of the compressor.
The Klixon seems to be an overtemp protection device. The Jahwa thing
is a mystery to me. It seems to have something to do with switching
the start capacitor in/out of circuit. Do these things fail? Are
they available to Joe Average as replacements? Is there a work
around?

Any advice appreciated.

Red

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes, they very commonly fail. Yes, there is a work around.
Not sure that the work around is sold to the public. I've
serviced a bunch of balky compressors, like that.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 2, 9:05*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Yes, they very commonly fail. Yes, there is a work around.
Not sure that the work around is sold to the public. I've
serviced a bunch of balky compressors, like that.

snip

I've seen references on the net to a "hard start kit". Is that the
magic work around?

Are these electronic doodads expensive? My Korean (Chinese?) isn't
good enough to navigate Jahwa's website!

Red
Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes, hard start kit.
Expensive? Well, that depends. Is a man tall? Is a distance
long?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote:
Yes, they very commonly fail. Yes, there is a work around.
Not sure that the work around is sold to the public. I've
serviced a bunch of balky compressors, like that.

snip

I've seen references on the net to a "hard start kit". Is
that the
magic work around?

Are these electronic doodads expensive? My Korean
(Chinese?) isn't
good enough to navigate Jahwa's website!

Red

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 2, 9:57*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Yes, hard start kit.
Expensive? Well, that depends. Is a man tall? Is a distance
long?

snip

Ouch. Probably deserved that.

How many candy bars would I have to trade for one? (ANSI Standard
candy bars?)

Red

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Stormin Mormon, Jim Alt wrote:
"Is a man tall? Is a distance long?"
Is a smart ass?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...or-376500-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair
% % is offline

On 2020-06-08 2:44 p.m., Jim Alt wrote:
replying to Stormin Mormon, Jim Alt wrote:
"Is a man tall? Is a distance long?"
Is a smart ass?

mine is
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/8/2020 5:44 PM, Jim Alt wrote:
replying to Stormin Mormon, Jim Alt wrote:
"Is a man tall? Is a distance long?"
Is a smart ass?

Let us know if Stormy replies. We want to know if there are computers
in heaven or hell.