Posted to alt.home.repair
Pa

Default Hot Compressor on Kenmore Dehumidifier kicks off in 5 minutes

This unit has a clean filter and coil, with no kinks in the refrig
lines. The coil cools to about 48 degrees F. The compressor however,
heats up to 145F and shuts down. The overheat switch on the compressor
remains closed so something else is causing the shut down. I checked
another dehumidifier and the compressor was running at a constant 104F.
If I remember correctly, high temps mean low freon. Any suggestions? Is
it fixable?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Low freon, or dirty condensor. Try giving the unit a thorough
cleaning. Let us know if the problem continues.

Low freon is possible, as the unit uses the freon to help carry the
heat away from the compressor. Might be dirty and not be obvious that
the coils are dirty.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Pa" wrote in message
oups.com...
This unit has a clean filter and coil, with no kinks in the refrig
lines. The coil cools to about 48 degrees F. The compressor however,
heats up to 145F and shuts down. The overheat switch on the compressor
remains closed so something else is causing the shut down. I checked
another dehumidifier and the compressor was running at a constant
104F.
If I remember correctly, high temps mean low freon. Any suggestions?
Is
it fixable?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pa Pa is offline

Thanks for the advice. I have thoroughly cleaned the coil, fan, filter,
and compressor with Fantastic and power rinse. It looks new.
Voltage at the unit is 121.8 volts
There is no sign of a freon leak.
The ccompressor temp still climbs to 145 - 155F. i looked at another
Dehumidifier and found it had a pressure sensing unit on the high
pressure side. No such luck with the faulty one.
Next step: take it Sears and let them give me an estimate.
THANKS GUYS

Stormin Mor
mon wrote:
Low freon, or dirty condensor. Try giving the unit a thorough
cleaning. Let us know if the problem continues.

Low freon is possible, as the unit uses the freon to help carry the
heat away from the compressor. Might be dirty and not be obvious that
the coils are dirty.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.