Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default TV Watchdog (OT)

On 17/01/15 19:20, tim..... wrote:

On 17/01/15 17:03, tim..... wrote:

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
.. .
In article , alan_m
wrote:

On 17/01/2015 10:26, ARW wrote:
"alan_m" wrote in message
of season strawberries each week.

I do wonder if some of these TV presenters actually know themselves
the price of a pint of milk or loaf of bread?

I have no idea how much a pint of milk or a loaf of bread is.

But you are not presenting a TV program advising how to save money on
a £150/week grocery shopping bill.

BTW, I pay 25p/pint for skimmed milk and between 55p and a 95p for a
loaf of bread - the former bread I only regard fit for toasting or
feeding to ducks.

1) You should *not* be feeding bread to ducks. It's not that good for
them. Try grain instead.

2) You should not be buying bread, you can make it in a breadmaker
quite easily and at a lower cost.

Oh, they give breadmakers away for free do they?

Dont need a bread maker. all you need is a bowl and a flat surface

Maybe a kenwood chef..

you really think that an hour of my time is worth 50P.

no. more like 5p....

Of all the stupid things I could diy! This is the least cost effective!

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 17/01/2015 10:26, ARW wrote:
"alan_m" wrote in message
[...]

I was referring to the saving that I would make for my effort

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tim....." wrote in message

wrote:

On 17/01/2015 10:26, ARW wrote:
"alan_m" wrote in message
[...]

Less effort to use a bread machine than
to go to the shop to get the bread.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Streater
writes
In article , alan_m
wrote:

On 17/01/2015 10:26, ARW wrote:
"alan_m" wrote in message
of season strawberries each week.

I do wonder if some of these TV presenters actually know themselves
the price of a pint of milk or loaf of bread?

I have no idea how much a pint of milk or a loaf of bread is.

But you are not presenting a TV program advising how to save money on
a £150/week grocery shopping bill.

BTW, I pay 25p/pint for skimmed milk and between 55p and a 95p for a
loaf of bread - the former bread I only regard fit for toasting or
feeding to ducks.

1) You should *not* be feeding bread to ducks. It's not that good for
them. Try grain instead.

I tried this at our village lake (well fed ducks).

Made up a mix of stuff that we thought they would like something out
off. It was very funny. They came scurrying across the lake, and then
went after the food, then sort of stopped and gave a double take and
looked at us as if to say, are you taking the **** :-) They weren't
impressed :-)

Yes, I know it's not supposed to be good for them, but it doesn't seem
to be doing the duck population any harm and they must get so many
people coming up and feeding them bread anyway what we do makes bugger
all difference (and it's something we on;ly do occasionally anyway)
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , alan_m
writes
On 17/01/2015 11:21, tim..... wrote:

#
are strawberries "out of season" anymore :-)

At a reasonable price - yes.

Our village Tesco express seem to have them for about the same price as
they sell English ones in the summer (but of course imported from
somewhere warmer).

Of course they have crap taste and texture normally. However, UK
strawberry season has really been stretched now, they continue way into
the Autumn. A mixture of varieties and under cover growing etc. I guess
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Phil L
writes

"ARW" wrote in message
"alan_m" wrote in message
of season strawberries each week.

I do wonder if some of these TV presenters actually know themselves the
price of a pint of milk or loaf of bread?

I have no idea how much a pint of milk or a loaf of bread is.

Multiple choices:

Bread is, (per loaf):
A) £13
B) £1
C) 4p

Milk is, (per pint bottle)
A) 10p
B) £1.99p
C) 45p

Not strictly relevant but the current bulk milk price paid to the dairy
farmer is 20p/L......

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes, I know it's not supposed to be good for them, but it doesn't seem
to be doing the duck population any harm and they must get so many
people coming up and feeding them bread anyway what we do makes bugger
all difference (and it's something we on;ly do occasionally anyway)

I just want them to eat MY bread. I hate it when someone is already there
feeding them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dont need a bread maker. all you need is a bowl and a flat surface

Maybe a kenwood chef..

you really think that an hour of my time is worth 50P.

Of all the stupid things I could diy! This is the least cost effective!

Maybe you'll enjoy making the bread, in which case it will save you
spending money on entertainment. Wouldn't work for me mind :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Phil L wrote:

"ARW" wrote in message
"alan_m" wrote in message
of season strawberries each week.

I do wonder if some of these TV presenters actually know themselves the
price of a pint of milk or loaf of bread?

I have no idea how much a pint of milk or a loaf of bread is.

Multiple choices:

Bread is, (per loaf):
A) £13
B) £1
C) 4p

Most I've ever seen bread for was 8 quid - at a farmer's market in
Wimbledon. Obviously a posh loaf.

Milk is, (per pint bottle)
A) 10p
B) £1.99p
C) 45p

Where have you bought fresh milk at 10p for one pint?

--
*Money isn‘t everything, but it sure keeps the kids in touch

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Phil L" wrote in message

"ARW" wrote in message
"alan_m" wrote in message
of season strawberries each week.

I do wonder if some of these TV presenters actually know themselves the
price of a pint of milk or loaf of bread?

I have no idea how much a pint of milk or a loaf of bread is.

Multiple choices:

Bread is, (per loaf):
A) £13
B) £1
C) 4p

Milk is, (per pint bottle)
A) 10p
B) £1.99p
C) 45p

I just call into a shop and buy them without looking at the price.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Adrian" wrote in message
On Sat, 17 Jan 2015 17:03:28 +0000, tim..... wrote:

2) You should not be buying bread, you can make it in a breadmaker
quite easily and at a lower cost.

Oh, they give breadmakers away for free do they?

Or you could make it yourself without a breadmaker. Easy to do, doesn't
take long, and the end result is MUCH better. But we did this fairly
recently...

You have either too much time on your hands or you have kids and have fun
with them.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"tim....." wrote in message

wrote:

On 17/01/2015 10:26, ARW wrote:
"alan_m" wrote in message
[...]

I'm, going to the shop anyway

putting a week's bread in the basket is just one of the things on the list

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 18 Jan 2015 12:39:09 +0000, ARW wrote:

Or you could make it yourself without a breadmaker. Easy to do, doesn't
take long, and the end result is MUCH better. But we did this fairly
recently...

You have either too much time on your hands or you have kids and have
fun with them.

Takes about ten-fifteen minutes of actual work.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

That's long enough to make an apprentice **** himself.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 18 Jan 2015 12:50:16 +0000, ARW wrote:

Or you could make it yourself without a breadmaker. Easy to do,
doesn't take long, and the end result is MUCH better. But we did this
fairly recently...

You have either too much time on your hands or you have kids and have
fun with them.

Takes about ten-fifteen minutes of actual work.

That's long enough to make an apprentice **** himself.

Preferably not whilst kneading the dough...

Anyway, doesn't dealing with your apprentices count as "having fun with
kids"?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Adrian" wrote in message
On Sun, 18 Jan 2015 12:50:16 +0000, ARW wrote:

Or you could make it yourself without a breadmaker. Easy to do,
doesn't take long, and the end result is MUCH better. But we did this
fairly recently...

You have either too much time on your hands or you have kids and have
fun with them.

Takes about ten-fifteen minutes of actual work.

That's long enough to make an apprentice **** himself.

Preferably not whilst kneading the dough...

Anyway, doesn't dealing with your apprentices count as "having fun with
kids"?

Once I have taught them a few social graces and manners and they finally
take their hands out of their pockets I can have fun with them - often
involving showing them how a megger tester works:-)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/01/2015 16:15, Tim Streater wrote:

2) You should not be buying bread, you can make it in a breadmaker
quite easily and at a lower cost. And it tastes much better too.

The flaw in that logic is that because the home made bread tastes much
better than the supermarket stuff you eat much more of it and defeat the
savings,

But it's still worth it :-)

--
Mike Clarke

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tim....." wrote in message

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"tim....." wrote in message

wrote:

On 17/01/2015 10:26, ARW wrote:
"alan_m" wrote in message
[...]

But you get much better bread with a bread machine
and its cheaper than even the cheapest in the shop
and you dont even have to get the breadmix weekly
when you use a bread machine either.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian" wrote in message
On Sun, 18 Jan 2015 12:39:09 +0000, ARW wrote:

Or you could make it yourself without a breadmaker. Easy to do, doesn't
take long, and the end result is MUCH better. But we did this fairly
recently...

You have either too much time on your hands or you have kids and have
fun with them.

Takes about ten-fifteen minutes of actual work.

A bread machine doesnt even take a minute.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mike Clarke" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 17/01/2015 16:15, Tim Streater wrote:

2) You should not be buying bread, you can make it in a breadmaker
quite easily and at a lower cost. And it tastes much better too.

The flaw in that logic is that because the home made bread tastes much
better than the supermarket stuff you eat much more of it and defeat the
savings,

I dont vary the amount of it I eat based on how good it tastes.

I cut the dome off the vertical loaf and have that as a single
large open salami and relish and lettuce sandwich on the
day the loaf is made, every 4 days, and have massive great
slab as thick as will still go in the toaster specially bought to
take the thickest toast, every day for breakfast and that's it.

But it's still worth it :-)

Yeah, the only time I have had bought bread for decades
now is when I had been in hospital for a couple of weeks
and had flown home from the state capital and didnt have
the massive great slice I usually keep in the freezer for
emergencys available. And tossed the bulk of the loaf
after I had just had 4 slices toasted with two slices
toasted together in pairs for that breakfast. I should
have done a loaf in the bread machine after I had
flown in the night before but didnt think if doing
that, I assumed there was a slice in the freezer and
discovered that there wasnt.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mike Clarke" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 17/01/2015 16:15, Tim Streater wrote:

2) You should not be buying bread, you can make it in a breadmaker
quite easily and at a lower cost. And it tastes much better too.

The flaw in that logic is that because the home made bread tastes much better than the
supermarket stuff you eat much more of it and defeat the savings,

That would only be the case if the home made bread cost more than the
food you would otherwise eat, in order to feel satiated.

Although presumably, even if the calorific value is the same , if the original
food contained vitamins and minerals not found in the home made bread, then
there may be a nutritional cost to match the financial benefit of the substitution.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"tim....." wrote in message

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"tim....." wrote in message

wrote:

On 17/01/2015 10:26, ARW wrote:
"alan_m" wrote in message
[...]

do you

how do you know that the bread that I buy isn't as good

and its cheaper than even the cheapest in the shop

only if you ignore the cost of the bread maker

and you dont even have to get the breadmix weekly
when you use a bread machine either.

I need to go to the shops at least once a week to top up with fresh veg

or do you have a magic veg maker where you live?

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tim....." wrote in message

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"tim....." wrote in message

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"tim....." wrote in message

wrote:

On 17/01/2015 10:26, ARW wrote:
"alan_m" wrote in message
[...]

Yep.

how do you know that the bread that I buy isn't as good

Because no one makes commercial bread as good as you can make yourself.

and its cheaper than even the cheapest in the shop

only if you ignore the cost of the bread maker

Nope, mine cost $5 quite literally.

and you dont even have to get the breadmix weekly when you use a bread
machine either.

I need to go to the shops at least once a week to top up with fresh veg

You get much fresher bread if you make it yourself than
if you buy it on the weekly fresh veg shopping run.

or do you have a magic veg maker where you live?

Nope, but I get much fresher bread than what I would
get if I bought it on the weekly veg shopping run.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 17 January 2015 11:50:30 UTC, alan_m wrote:
On 17/01/2015 10:26, ARW wrote:
"alan_m" wrote in message
of season strawberries each week.

I do wonder if some of these TV presenters actually know themselves
the price of a pint of milk or loaf of bread?

I have no idea how much a pint of milk or a loaf of bread is.

But you are not presenting a TV program advising how to save money on a
£150/week grocery shopping bill.

BTW, I pay 25p/pint for skimmed milk and between 55p and a 95p for a
loaf of bread - the former bread I only regard fit for toasting or
feeding to ducks.

You shouldn't feed ducks bread especailly if it's cheap crap it won;t do them any good. I'd feed it to students ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
On 2015-01-19, tim..... wrote:

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

[69 lines snipped]

putting a week's bread in the basket is just one of the things on the
list

But you get much better bread with a bread machine

do you

how do you know that the bread that I buy isn't as good

and its cheaper than even the cheapest in the shop

only if you ignore the cost of the bread maker

And your time.

You have to remember Wodney lives in one of the smaller colonies, so
likely has to jump into the 'ute and drive a hundred miles to the nearest
store. Then bang the weevils out of the bread. I have a very pleasant 5
minute walk to a shop which sells all sorts of freshly baked bread. Not
that I eat vast quantities of it anyway.

--
*Ever stop to think and forget to start again?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"tim....." wrote in message

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"tim....." wrote in message

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"tim....." wrote in message

wrote:

On 17/01/2015 10:26, ARW wrote:
"alan_m" wrote in message
[...]

I actually don't like bread that is even one day old.

And as I can't eat a whole loaf in one day I have to store it in the
freezer, (I accept that there is some loss of quality here, but to my taste
it is infinitely less than that lost by the bread going stale in the
cupboard)

so on days 2-6 it is always going to be defrosted bread made earlier in the
week, however I make/buy it.

This little fact also means that I buy rolls not complete loaves, as slicing
a portion off a frozen loaf isn't fun and it dries out too much if you slice
it before freezing.

So back to the quality thing, I find the "baked on the premises rolls" that
most supermarkets do nowadays perfectly adequate quality, a damned sight
better than commercial baked loaves, and I challenge you (again) to prove
that your bread maker does a better job

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/01/2015 22:17, DerbyBorn wrote:
I watached this today - apart from wondering what Anne Robinson has done to
her jaw (are her teeth wired together?)

Possibly why she can't string a sentence together.

www.vulcantothesky.org - keep the last remaining Vulcan flying

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
tim..... wrote:
So back to the quality thing, I find the "baked on the premises rolls"
that most supermarkets do nowadays perfectly adequate quality, a damned
sight better than commercial baked loaves, and I challenge you (again)
to prove that your bread maker does a better job

Tesco do part baked brown seeded rolls - take 10 minutes in a hot oven to
finish. Very nice too. Keep well enough out of the fridge too.

--
*Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In ,
wrote:
So back to the quality thing, I find the "baked on the premises rolls"
that most supermarkets do nowadays perfectly adequate quality, a damned
sight better than commercial baked loaves, and I challenge you (again)
to prove that your bread maker does a better job

Tesco do part baked brown seeded rolls - take 10 minutes in a hot oven to
finish. Very nice too. Keep well enough out of the fridge too.

Careful Dave, you're sounding like a heretic to the religious bread
fanatics on this group!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Capitol
wrote:

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In ,
wrote:
So back to the quality thing, I find the "baked on the premises
rolls" that most supermarkets do nowadays perfectly adequate
quality, a damned sight better than commercial baked loaves, and I
challenge you (again) to prove that your bread maker does a better
job

Tesco do part baked brown seeded rolls - take 10 minutes in a hot
oven to finish. Very nice too. Keep well enough out of the fridge too.

Careful Dave, you're sounding like a heretic to the religious bread
fanatics on this group!

Yes, Tesco rolls are quite nice and we usually buy them at four for a
quid. But what does this have to do with loaves that I make in my
breadmaker?

Ones I'm talking about are part baked and come in packs of 6. Because you
finish off the baking process, they both keep well until you need them and
taste fresh when you do.

So effectively fresh bread without the hassle.

I've made and like homemade bread. But it's nothing like as quick and easy
as described here by some.

--
*Bigamy is having one wife too many - monogamy is the same

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2015-01-19, tim..... wrote:

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

[69 lines snipped]

putting a week's bread in the basket is just one of the things on the
list

But you get much better bread with a bread machine

do you

how do you know that the bread that I buy isn't as good

and its cheaper than even the cheapest in the shop

only if you ignore the cost of the bread maker

And your time.

Takes even less time with a bread machine than buying
the bread in the shop even if you only get fresh bread
on the weekly shopping run. And you get MUCH
fresher bread than you do from the shop as well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"tim....." wrote in message

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"tim....." wrote in message

On 17/01/15 19:20, tim..... wrote:

On 17/01/15 17:03, tim..... wrote:

[...]

Because you are only paying 55 to 95p for it.

And it doesn't require an hour of your time. More like 5 mins to set it
up and wake up to the aroma of a freshly baked loaf.

Mine doesnt even take 1 minute, essentially because the digital
scales are next to the bread machine and the breadmix is in a
plastic rubbish bin that stands on the floor below the bread
machine. I do it like that to eliminate any possibility of mice.

and its cheaper than even the cheapest in the shop

only if you ignore the cost of the bread maker

Ours cost about £60. We've had it for 7 years and there's no reason to
suppose it won't last 10 (or more).

Mine cost $5 quite literally from a garage/yard sale and
must be at least that old now, also no sign of it dying
and I have another identical one I also got for $5 if it does.

We make about a loaf a week but doubtless others make more.

Yeah, I do mine ever 4 days.

At a 10 year life, that's about 500 loaves. So that's added about 12p/loaf
to the price.

In my case 0.55c/loaf, 1c/loaf if you count the spare.

Well worth it for the improved taste.

Yep, I dont eat commercial bread unless I have no choice.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2015-01-19, tim..... wrote:

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

[69 lines snipped]

putting a week's bread in the basket is just one of the things on the
list

But you get much better bread with a bread machine

do you

how do you know that the bread that I buy isn't as good

and its cheaper than even the cheapest in the shop

only if you ignore the cost of the bread maker

And your time.

I have a very pleasant 5 minute walk to a shop
which sells all sorts of freshly baked bread.

I have an even shorter walk to mine, and that is still
much more than the less than 1 minute to load the
bread machine.

And the shop's idea of multigrain is to chuck some
seeds into the wholemeal mix, presumably because
not enough want multigrain to make it worth doing
a proper multigrain.

And the bugger is quite capable of being so disorganised
so that you have to come back later because the multigrain
isn't ready yet and it would take more time than making my
own does to ring and check if the multigrain is ready before
walking to the shop too.

And my multigrain leaves his for dead anyway.

Not that I eat vast quantities of it anyway.

I don’t either, just one loaf ever 4 days, eat the dome
of the vertical loaf as an open salami and relish and
lettuce sandwich on the day is made, and the rest
are my entire breakfast, a ****ing great slab of toast
that is as thick as will still go in the toaster that was
bought because it will take the thickest slabs of toast.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tim....." wrote in message

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"tim....." wrote in message

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"tim....." wrote in message

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"tim....." wrote in message

wrote:

On 17/01/2015 10:26, ARW wrote:
"alan_m" wrote in message
[...]

So your claim that getting the bread on the weekly fresh veg
run has blown up in your face and covered you with black stuff.

You'd be much better off with a bread machine, doing loaf a
day of the appropriate size so you dont end up wasting any.

And as I can't eat a whole loaf in one day

You can if you use a bread machine and
make the sized loaf that sees no waste.

I have to store it in the freezer,

You dont have to with a bread machine.

(I accept that there is some loss of quality here, but to my taste it is
infinitely less than that lost by the bread going stale in the cupboard)

Sure, but with a bread machine you can make an
appropriate sized loaf. You can't when you buy it.

so on days 2-6 it is always going to be defrosted bread made earlier in
the week, however I make/buy it.

Wrong when you can make a more appropriate
sized loaf with a bread machine.

This little fact also means that I buy rolls not complete loaves,

You are free to make rolls with a bread machine.

as slicing a portion off a frozen loaf isn't fun

You dont need to do that if you make an
appropriate sized loaf in the bread machine.

and it dries out too much if you slice it before freezing.

Not if you only freeze it for a day. Not that you
need to freeze it at all if you make an appropriate
sized loaf daily with a bread machine.

So back to the quality thing, I find the "baked on the premises rolls"
that most supermarkets do nowadays perfectly adequate quality,

More fool you. What you make yourself leaves them for dead.

a damned sight better than commercial baked loaves,

Sure.

and I challenge you (again) to prove that your bread maker does a better
job

Trivially easy to do that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , tim.....
writes

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"tim....." wrote in message

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"tim....." wrote in message

wrote:

On 17/01/2015 10:26, ARW wrote:
"alan_m" wrote in message
[...]

Or is he Scottish?
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
whisky-dave writes
On 17/01/2015 10:26, ARW wrote:
"alan_m" wrote in message
of season strawberries each week.

I do wonder if some of these TV presenters actually know themselves
the price of a pint of milk or loaf of bread?

I have no idea how much a pint of milk or a loaf of bread is.

But you are not presenting a TV program advising how to save money on a
£150/week grocery shopping bill.

BTW, I pay 25p/pint for skimmed milk and between 55p and a 95p for a
loaf of bread - the former bread I only regard fit for toasting or
feeding to ducks.

You shouldn't feed ducks bread especailly if it's cheap crap it won;t
do them any good. I'd feed it to students ;-)

They can't digest it so it fills them up without giving them any
benefit.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Capitol
wrote:

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In ,
wrote:
[...]

It is when you use a bread machine and organise
things to minimise the time required to do a loaf.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rod Speed wrote:
I have a very pleasant 5 minute walk to a shop
which sells all sorts of freshly baked bread.

I have an even shorter walk to mine, and that is still
much more than the less than 1 minute to load the
bread machine.

And the shop's idea of multigrain is to chuck some
seeds into the wholemeal mix, presumably because
not enough want multigrain to make it worth doing
a proper multigrain.

Well, yes. Why would it bother doing anything else if you are
representative of the customers?

--
*Do they ever shut up on your planet?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Some terminal ****wit claiming to be
Dave Plowman (News) wrote
just the puerile **** that always pours from the back of it.

BBC Watchdog and radiators Graham C UK diy 14 November 14th 13 02:26 PM
Watchdog. John UK diy 15 September 26th 10 03:15 PM
Watchdog last night John UK diy 5 September 25th 10 12:14 PM
Watchdog stick the boot in again raden UK diy 2 February 13th 07 09:38 PM
Watchdog does Suprimas raden UK diy 29 February 10th 07 06:32 AM