Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Daft idea - Letterbox guard

Anyone think this has any point to it?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220895854115
Fishing for keys? Why hang your keys near the door?
As for evaluating your home contents, ffs.

--
I was walking down the street and saw a black guy walking with a TV in his hands.
I thought to myself, **** that looks like mine so I rushed home.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 22 Dec 2014 19:19:00 -0000, "Uncle Peter" wrote:

Anyone think this has any point to it?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220895854115
Fishing for keys? Why hang your keys near the door?
As for evaluating your home contents, ffs.

Apparently Chummy can fish for keys on the table several meters away.
Makes it rather difficult if he can't see them.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 22 Dec 2014 19:37:01 -0000, Graham. wrote:

On Mon, 22 Dec 2014 19:19:00 -0000, "Uncle Peter" wrote:

Anyone think this has any point to it?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220895854115
Fishing for keys? Why hang your keys near the door?
As for evaluating your home contents, ffs.

Apparently Chummy can fish for keys on the table several meters away.
Makes it rather difficult if he can't see them.

Funny place to store keys. Mine are in my pocket.

--
Only 55% of Americans know that the sun is a star.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Those guards are for doors with locks that do not need a key internally to lock the door.

Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/12/14 19:37, Graham. wrote:
On Mon, 22 Dec 2014 19:19:00 -0000, "Uncle Peter" wrote:

Anyone think this has any point to it?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220895854115
Fishing for keys? Why hang your keys near the door?
As for evaluating your home contents, ffs.

Apparently Chummy can fish for keys on the table several meters away.
Makes it rather difficult if he can't see them.

I'm going to fit one.

Not for keys, but to make it harder for the perp to get at the inside of
the yale lock.

Also affords some privacy - oiks cannot look in through the letterbox.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 22 Dec 2014 23:03:06 -0000, Tim Watts wrote:

On 22/12/14 19:37, Graham. wrote:
On Mon, 22 Dec 2014 19:19:00 -0000, "Uncle Peter" wrote:

Anyone think this has any point to it?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220895854115
Fishing for keys? Why hang your keys near the door?
As for evaluating your home contents, ffs.

Apparently Chummy can fish for keys on the table several meters away.
Makes it rather difficult if he can't see them.

I'm going to fit one.

Not for keys, but to make it harder for the perp to get at the inside of
the yale lock.

Why not fit a proper lock?

Also affords some privacy - oiks cannot look in through the letterbox.

Why? Do you walk around naked?

--
Suicidal twin kills sister by mistake!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 22/12/14 19:37, Graham. wrote:
On Mon, 22 Dec 2014 19:19:00 -0000, "Uncle Peter" wrote:

Anyone think this has any point to it?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220895854115
Fishing for keys? Why hang your keys near the door?
As for evaluating your home contents, ffs.

Apparently Chummy can fish for keys on the table several meters away.
Makes it rather difficult if he can't see them.

I'm going to fit one.

Not for keys, but to make it harder for the perp to get at the inside of
the yale lock.

Why not fit a proper lock?

Because that can see it harder for
some to get out if there is a fire etc.

Also affords some privacy - oiks cannot look in through the letterbox.

Why? Do you walk around naked?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 22/12/14 19:37, Graham. wrote:
On Mon, 22 Dec 2014 19:19:00 -0000, "Uncle Peter" wrote:

Anyone think this has any point to it?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220895854115
Fishing for keys? Why hang your keys near the door?
As for evaluating your home contents, ffs.

Apparently Chummy can fish for keys on the table several meters away.
Makes it rather difficult if he can't see them.

I'm going to fit one.

Not for keys, but to make it harder for the perp to get at the inside of
the yale lock.

Why not fit a proper lock?

Because that can see it harder for
some to get out if there is a fire etc.

More wimpy pessimism. I actually have a Yale lock on the front door that I only use to answer the door when someone rings, but it's in the normal high up position, not reachable from the letterbox. I go out my back door as it leads to the drive where I park the car. That has a digital lock operated from an RFID tag on my wrist. Before I had that, I simply left the back door unlocked when I was in the house - why would you lock a house you're in?

--
A high IQ is like a Jeep. You still get stuck, just further from help.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 22/12/14 19:37, Graham. wrote:
On Mon, 22 Dec 2014 19:19:00 -0000, "Uncle Peter" wrote:

Anyone think this has any point to it?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220895854115
Fishing for keys? Why hang your keys near the door?
As for evaluating your home contents, ffs.

Apparently Chummy can fish for keys on the table several meters away.
Makes it rather difficult if he can't see them.

I'm going to fit one.

Not for keys, but to make it harder for the perp to get at the inside
of
the yale lock.

Why not fit a proper lock?

Because that can see it harder for
some to get out if there is a fire etc.

More wimpy pessimism.

Nope, just basic common sense. I'm not gunna kill the kids
by making it hard to get out of the house when the house
is going up in flames and they can't see what they are doing.

I actually have a Yale lock on the front door that I only use to answer
the door when someone rings, but it's in the normal high up position, not
reachable from the letterbox.

I'm not actually stupid enough to have a letterbox in the front door.

I go out my back door as it leads to the drive where I park the car.

I have the car parked just outside the patio door that is the front door.

That has a digital lock operated from an RFID tag on my wrist. Before I
had that, I simply left the back door unlocked when I was in the house -
why would you lock a house you're in?

Because some arseholes choose to enter
houses that they know are occupied.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/12/2014 01:02, Rod Speed wrote:

Why not fit a proper lock?

Because that can see it harder for
some to get out if there is a fire etc.

The nearest escape route is probably a window anyway.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/12/2014 23:03, Tim Watts wrote:

Also affords some privacy - oiks cannot look in through the letterbox.

Until they steal a maplin endoscope whatsit and refocus the lens.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Uncle Peter" wrote in message
news On Mon, 22 Dec 2014 23:03:06 -0000, Tim Watts
wrote:

On 22/12/14 19:37, Graham. wrote:
On Mon, 22 Dec 2014 19:19:00 -0000, "Uncle Peter" wrote:

Anyone think this has any point to it?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220895854115
Fishing for keys? Why hang your keys near the door?
As for evaluating your home contents, ffs.

Apparently Chummy can fish for keys on the table several meters away.
Makes it rather difficult if he can't see them.

I'm going to fit one.

Not for keys, but to make it harder for the perp to get at the inside
of
the yale lock.

Why not fit a proper lock?

Because that can see it harder for
some to get out if there is a fire etc.

More wimpy pessimism.

Nope, just basic common sense. I'm not gunna kill the kids
by making it hard to get out of the house when the house
is going up in flames and they can't see what they are doing.

Houses don't often catch fire. I'd bet you £1000 that your house will never catch fire.

I actually have a Yale lock on the front door that I only use to answer
the door when someone rings, but it's in the normal high up position, not
reachable from the letterbox.

I'm not actually stupid enough to have a letterbox in the front door.

How do you get your letters?!?

I go out my back door as it leads to the drive where I park the car.

I have the car parked just outside the patio door that is the front door.

That has a digital lock operated from an RFID tag on my wrist. Before I
had that, I simply left the back door unlocked when I was in the house -
why would you lock a house you're in?

Because some arseholes choose to enter
houses that they know are occupied.

Then beat them up.

--
"I must take every precaution not to get pregnant," said Judi to her best friend Monika.
"But I thought you said your hubby had a vasectomy," Monika responded.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 23 Dec 2014 13:25:30 -0000, Tim Streater wrote:

In article , Uncle Peter wrote:

On Tue, 23 Dec 2014 05:15:44 -0000, Rod Speed wrote:

Nope, just basic common sense. I'm not gunna kill the kids
by making it hard to get out of the house when the house
is going up in flames and they can't see what they are doing.

Houses don't often catch fire. I'd bet you £1000 that your house will never
catch fire.

There you are Woddles! A free £1000 from Unc. You didn't actually like
your house, did you (and you don't have to burn it *all* down)?

[worries] How much is the average Aussie shack worth?

--
Bikini e pareo, camicia di pizzo e shorts, top e gonna di crochet!
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 23/12/2014 13:11, Uncle Peter wrote:

Houses don't often catch fire. I'd bet you £1000 that your house will
never catch fire.

Mine did. When can I get my £1000?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Why not fit a proper lock?

Because that can see it harder for
some to get out if there is a fire etc.

More wimpy pessimism.

Nope, just basic common sense. I'm not gunna kill the kids
by making it hard to get out of the house when the house
is going up in flames and they can't see what they are doing.

Houses don't often catch fire. I'd bet you £1000 that your house will
never catch fire.

Isn't that exactly how insurance works?

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Uncle Peter" wrote in message
news On Tue, 23 Dec 2014 01:02:47 -0000, Rod Speed

Yes, which is why it costs **** all to insure a house for fire. My house (worth £90K) costs £4.50 a month to insure against fire, catastrophe, etc.

--
Runtime Error 6D at 417A:32CF: Incompetent User.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 23 Dec 2014 13:55:56 -0000, GB wrote:

On 23/12/2014 13:11, Uncle Peter wrote:

Houses don't often catch fire. I'd bet you £1000 that your house will
never catch fire.

Mine did. When can I get my £1000?

That happened before the bet was placed. Do you never read the fineprint?

--
A can of diet coke floats in water, but a can of regular coke sinks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 22/12/14 19:37, Graham. wrote:
[...]

I got the builders to put one in the brickwork when they built the
porch. They also fitted a 100 year old brass bellpush that I had into
the wall.
The mail falls into a cage inside.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dennis@home wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Why not fit a proper lock?

Because that can see it harder for
some to get out if there is a fire etc.

The nearest escape route is probably a window anyway.

Not necessarily anything like as easy to get out
of in a hurry than the door that is used most
days with a yale lock particularly for young kids.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Anyone think this has any point to it?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220895854115
Fishing for keys? Why hang your keys near the door?
As for evaluating your home contents, ffs.

Apparently Chummy can fish for keys on the table several meters
away.
Makes it rather difficult if he can't see them.

I'm going to fit one.

Not for keys, but to make it harder for the perp to get at the inside
of
the yale lock.

Why not fit a proper lock?

Because that can see it harder for
some to get out if there is a fire etc.

More wimpy pessimism.

Nope, just basic common sense. I'm not gunna kill the kids
by making it hard to get out of the house when the house
is going up in flames and they can't see what they are doing.

Houses don't often catch fire.

Yes, but they can kill when they do.

I'd bet you £1000 that your house will never catch fire.

I know it won't. That is a separate issue to other people's
places where there may be some advantage with retaining
the yale lock so its easier for kids to get out of the house
if it does catch fire.

Mine has 13 ****ing great patio doors, at least one in
every room other than a bathroom or toilet and they
all have a simple latch on the inside so its completely
trivial to get out of one of those in the very unlikely
event of a fire. But that's all irrelevant to what makes
sense with more conventional houses than mine.

I actually have a Yale lock on the front door that I only use to answer
the door when someone rings, but it's in the normal high up position,
not reachable from the letterbox.

I'm not actually stupid enough to have a letterbox in the front door.

How do you get your letters?!?

The letterbox is outside the house and I get **** all letters anymore,
all the bills and statements show up electronically now.

I go out my back door as it leads to the drive where I park the car.

I have the car parked just outside the patio door that is the front door.

That has a digital lock operated from an RFID tag on my wrist. Before I
had that, I simply left the back door unlocked when I was in the house -
why would you lock a house you're in?

Because some arseholes choose to enter
houses that they know are occupied.

Then beat them up.

Makes more sense to make it harder for them to get in in
the first place so they will loot someone else's place instead.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

.. .

wrote:

Nope, just basic common sense. I'm not gunna kill the kids
by making it hard to get out of the house when the house
is going up in flames and they can't see what they are doing.

Houses don't often catch fire. I'd bet you £1000 that your house will
never
catch fire.

There you are Woddles! A free £1000 from Unc. You didn't actually like
your house, did you (and you don't have to burn it *all* down)?

I know he doesnt have anything like that and will just
try to claim that it was someone pretending to be him.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 22/12/14 19:37, Graham. wrote:
[...]

And what is it you think is wrong with the traditional position on the door?

--
Your mouse has moved. Windows must be restarted for this change to take effect.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

om...

wrote:

Why not fit a proper lock?

Because that can see it harder for
some to get out if there is a fire etc.

More wimpy pessimism.

Nope, just basic common sense. I'm not gunna kill the kids
by making it hard to get out of the house when the house
is going up in flames and they can't see what they are doing.

Houses don't often catch fire. I'd bet you £1000 that your house will
never catch fire.

Isn't that exactly how insurance works?

Not really with houses.

A surprising percentage don't insure their houses, presumably because
of the substantial premiums involved and the very low risk of fire.

I've only ever seen one person I know have a fire and it was
so minor that it wasn't worth claiming on the insurance and
it wasn't insured because it was being built by the owner at
the time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Uncle Peter" wrote in message
news
Anyone think this has any point to it?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220895854115
Fishing for keys? Why hang your keys near the door?
As for evaluating your home contents, ffs.

--
I was walking down the street and saw a black guy walking with a TV in his
hands.
I thought to myself, **** that looks like mine so I rushed home.
Nope, mine was still there, shining my shoes.

Wiremesh cage ovewr the letterbox is better.
Especially if you have a letter-eating/finger-eating dog as well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 23 Dec 2014 19:34:51 -0000, harryagain wrote:

"Uncle Peter" wrote in message
news
Anyone think this has any point to it?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220895854115
Fishing for keys? Why hang your keys near the door?
As for evaluating your home contents, ffs.

--
I was walking down the street and saw a black guy walking with a TV in his
hands.
I thought to myself, **** that looks like mine so I rushed home.
Nope, mine was still there, shining my shoes.

Wiremesh cage ovewr the letterbox is better.
Especially if you have a letter-eating/finger-eating dog as well.

Why not just train the dog not to do it? Wire mesh is stupid, a large parcel or a big letter won't go through.

--
Amanpreet was overheard at the hospital angrily say, "My wife just delivered twins!!!"
A passerby said, "So? You should be happy about that. Why are you so angry?"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Uncle Peter" wrote in message
news
Anyone think this has any point to it?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220895854115
Fishing for keys? Why hang your keys near the door?
As for evaluating your home contents, ffs.

--
I was walking down the street and saw a black guy walking with a TV in
his
hands.
I thought to myself, **** that looks like mine so I rushed home.
Nope, mine was still there, shining my shoes.

Wiremesh cage ovewr the letterbox is better.
Especially if you have a letter-eating/finger-eating dog as well.

Why not just train the dog not to do it?

Easier said than done with some dogs.

And a hell of a lot easier to add a cage than to train the
dog even if you do know how to do that and most don't.

Wire mesh is stupid, a large parcel or a big letter won't go through.

Its perfectly possible to have the cage big enough so
that anything that can get thru the letterbox will be fine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Uncle Peter" wrote in message
news Anyone think this has any point to it?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220895854115
Fishing for keys? Why hang your keys near the door?
As for evaluating your home contents, ffs.

--
I was walking down the street and saw a black guy walking with a TV in
his
hands.
I thought to myself, **** that looks like mine so I rushed home.
Nope, mine was still there, shining my shoes.

Wiremesh cage ovewr the letterbox is better.
Especially if you have a letter-eating/finger-eating dog as well.

Why not just train the dog not to do it?

Easier said than done with some dogs.

And a hell of a lot easier to add a cage than to train the
dog even if you do know how to do that and most don't.

Most dog owners seem to think shouting at the dog will make it behave.

Wire mesh is stupid, a large parcel or a big letter won't go through.

Its perfectly possible to have the cage big enough so
that anything that can get thru the letterbox will be fine.

Maybe if you build one yourself. But most people buy stupid little things. I've seen mail hanging out of a letterbox because the cage is full.

--
In the 60's people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is weird, people take prozac to make it normal.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

And even when you know better, takes more
effort to train the dog than to add a cage.

Wire mesh is stupid, a large parcel or a big letter won't go through.

Its perfectly possible to have the cage big enough so
that anything that can get thru the letterbox will be fine.

Maybe if you build one yourself.

No maybe about it.

But most people buy stupid little things.

Their problem.

I've seen mail hanging out of a letterbox because the cage is full.

Their problem.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Uncle Peter" wrote in message
news

wrote:

"Uncle Peter" wrote in message
news On Tue, 23 Dec 2014 19:34:51 -0000, harryagain
wrote:

[...]

But training the dog stops it doing other things.

You don't know that it does anything else undesirable.

All you have to do is kick it when it does wrong.

Its much more complicated than that with some dogs.

And it's a lot more work to hang around waiting for
the post to show up and kick the dog when it tries
to bite the hand that puts it thru the letterbox than
it is to put a cage on the back of the door.

Wire mesh is stupid, a large parcel or a big letter won't go through.

Its perfectly possible to have the cage big enough so
that anything that can get thru the letterbox will be fine.

Maybe if you build one yourself.

No maybe about it.

But most people buy stupid little things.

Their problem.

I've seen mail hanging out of a letterbox because the cage is full.

Their problem.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Uncle Peter" wrote in message
news On Tue, 23 Dec 2014 23:22:31 -0000, Rod Speed

wrote:

[...]

It's in your house, you should know.

********.

And it's a lot more work to hang around waiting for
the post to show up and kick the dog when it tries
to bite the hand that puts it thru the letterbox than
it is to put a cage on the back of the door.

You show it the chewed mail then kick it, it'll make the association.

--
A minister gave a talk to the Lions Club on sex. When he got home, he couldn't tell his wife that he had spoken on sex, so he said he had discussed horseback riding with the members.
A few days later, she ran into some men at the shopping center and they complimented her on the speech her husband had made.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I know it doesn't.

All you have to do is kick it when it does wrong.

Its much more complicated than that with some dogs.

********.

Fact.

And it's a lot more work to hang around waiting for
the post to show up and kick the dog when it tries
to bite the hand that puts it thru the letterbox than
it is to put a cage on the back of the door.

You show it the chewed mail then kick it, it'll make the association.

Doesn't work with the fingers, the posty is long gone.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Then you don't need the guard.

All you have to do is kick it when it does wrong.

Its much more complicated than that with some dogs.

********.

Fact.

No, everything can be trained.

And it's a lot more work to hang around waiting for
the post to show up and kick the dog when it tries
to bite the hand that puts it thru the letterbox than
it is to put a cage on the back of the door.

You show it the chewed mail then kick it, it'll make the association.

Doesn't work with the fingers, the posty is long gone.

Postie's problem.

--
At Sunday school the teacher asked little Johnny, "Do you know where little boys and girls go when they do bad things?"
"Sure," little Johnny replied. "They go out in the back of the church yard."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

The ELSE is there for a reason.

All you have to do is kick it when it does wrong.

Its much more complicated than that with some dogs.

********.

Fact.

No, everything can be trained.

That's what the fools that end up getting eaten by their lion claim.

And it's a lot more work to hang around waiting for
the post to show up and kick the dog when it tries
to bite the hand that puts it thru the letterbox than
it is to put a cage on the back of the door.

You show it the chewed mail then kick it, it'll make the association.

Doesn't work with the fingers, the posty is long gone.

Postie's problem.

There is no problem with a cage.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Uncle Peter" wrote in message
news On Wed, 24 Dec 2014 22:31:02 -0000, Rod Speed

wrote:

[...]

Do you live in your own house or not? You can see what the dog gets up to. You can see what it had got up to when you weren't looking. You punish it for those things and it doesn't do them again. I've trained my cats not to kill birds, not to spray in the house, and not to chew the handles off carrier bags.

All you have to do is kick it when it does wrong.

Its much more complicated than that with some dogs.

********.

Fact.

No, everything can be trained.

That's what the fools that end up getting eaten by their lion claim.

They didn't train it well enough. There are plenty of folk who have successfully trained vicious animals.

And it's a lot more work to hang around waiting for
the post to show up and kick the dog when it tries
to bite the hand that puts it thru the letterbox than
it is to put a cage on the back of the door.

You show it the chewed mail then kick it, it'll make the association.

Doesn't work with the fingers, the posty is long gone.

Postie's problem.

There is no problem with a cage.

As long as it's big enough, and it doesn't obstruct the door opening. My front door for example opens against a wall, a large cage would stop it opening fully.

--
What do you call 4 sheep tied to a post in Wales?
A leisure centre!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Yes.

You can see what the dog gets up to.

Much harder to keep track of what the dog gets up to while you are out.

Until the posty told me, I didn't realise that the dog went completely
****ing bananas when the posty showed up when I wasn't at home.

My letterbox is outside the house but only 10' from one of the 8x8'
patio doors that every room except the bathrooms and toilets have.
Apparently he used to hurl himself at the door when the posty showed
up on his motorbike to deliver a letter. All our letterboxes are outside
the house and the posty quite literally rides his small motorbike right
up to the letterboxes and puts the letters in the box with him still
sitting on the bike with his feet on the ground.

Since the dog was a ****ing great alsatian, the posty was
understandably a bit worried that one day the dog might
well come straight thru the door and eat him alive.

You can see what it had got up to when you weren't looking.

Yes, that was certainly true when he decided to see if there
was anything interesting in the kitchen garbage bin.

You punish it for those things

Easier said than done with stuff that happens when you arent there.

Mine would never ever get up on an arm chair, couch or bed
while I was around but would go and lie on the bed when I
was out.

and it doesn't do them again.

That's true of some stuff, but not with other stuff.

I've trained my cats not to kill birds, not to spray in the house, and not
to chew the handles off carrier bags.

Sure, but you'd never be able to train that
alsatian to not investigate other dogs he came
across when out walking never on a lead.

All you have to do is kick it when it does wrong.

Its much more complicated than that with some dogs.

********.

Fact.

No, everything can be trained.

That's what the fools that end up getting eaten by their lion claim.

They didn't train it well enough.

That isnt even possible with lions.

There are plenty of folk who have successfully trained vicious animals.

And none that haven't had a fright at times. They don't all end up dead.

And it's a lot more work to hang around waiting for
the post to show up and kick the dog when it tries
to bite the hand that puts it thru the letterbox than
it is to put a cage on the back of the door.

You show it the chewed mail then kick it, it'll make the association.

Doesn't work with the fingers, the posty is long gone.

Postie's problem.

There is no problem with a cage.

As long as it's big enough,

Completely trivial to ensure that, even
you should be able to manage that.

and it doesn't obstruct the door opening. My front door for example opens
against a wall, a large cage would stop it opening fully.

**** all front doors are like that. And it wouldn't be hard to do
a cage that folds flat against the door auto as its opened against
the wall.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Uncle Peter" wrote in message
news On Wed, 24 Dec 2014 23:23:45 -0000, Rod Speed

they tend to **** about when you're there too. Dogs aren't intelligent enough to avoid misbehaving while the owner is watching.

Until the posty told me, I didn't realise that the dog went completely
****ing bananas when the posty showed up when I wasn't at home.

Consider buying a more sensible dog.

My letterbox is outside the house but only 10' from one of the 8x8'
patio doors that every room except the bathrooms and toilets have.
Apparently he used to hurl himself at the door when the posty showed
up on his motorbike to deliver a letter. All our letterboxes are outside
the house and the posty quite literally rides his small motorbike right
up to the letterboxes and puts the letters in the box with him still
sitting on the bike with his feet on the ground.

Since the dog was a ****ing great alsatian, the posty was
understandably a bit worried that one day the dog might
well come straight thru the door and eat him alive.

No dog could win a fight with an adult human. We can use tools, they can't.

You can see what it had got up to when you weren't looking.

Yes, that was certainly true when he decided to see if there
was anything interesting in the kitchen garbage bin.

You punish it for those things

Easier said than done with stuff that happens when you arent there.

Show him the mess of garbage all over ther kitchen, then kick him.

Mine would never ever get up on an arm chair, couch or bed
while I was around but would go and lie on the bed when I
was out.

Show him the scratch marks or whatever damage he did, then kick him.

and it doesn't do them again.

That's true of some stuff, but not with other stuff.

Rubbish. If the dog is afraid of the punishment, he won't do whatever it is again.

I've trained my cats not to kill birds, not to spray in the house, and not
to chew the handles off carrier bags.

Sure, but you'd never be able to train that
alsatian to not investigate other dogs he came
across when out walking never on a lead.

Whyever not? I simply don't believe your Alsation is stupider than my cats.

All you have to do is kick it when it does wrong.

Its much more complicated than that with some dogs.

********.

Fact.

No, everything can be trained.

That's what the fools that end up getting eaten by their lion claim.

They didn't train it well enough.

That isnt even possible with lions.

Oh yes it is. Plenty lions are tamed.

There are plenty of folk who have successfully trained vicious animals.

And none that haven't had a fright at times. They don't all end up dead.

Fright isn't the same as dead.

And it's a lot more work to hang around waiting for
the post to show up and kick the dog when it tries
to bite the hand that puts it thru the letterbox than
it is to put a cage on the back of the door.

You show it the chewed mail then kick it, it'll make the association.

Doesn't work with the fingers, the posty is long gone.

Postie's problem.

There is no problem with a cage.

As long as it's big enough,

Completely trivial to ensure that, even
you should be able to manage that.

and it doesn't obstruct the door opening. My front door for example opens
against a wall, a large cage would stop it opening fully.

**** all front doors are like that.

In Australis maybe, we're cramped here, houses are smaller. Doors often open to a wall.

And it wouldn't be hard to do
a cage that folds flat against the door auto as its opened against
the wall.

Sounds a bit complicated to me.

--
NEWSFLASH!!! Bouncing elephantiasis woman destroys central Portsmouth
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Nope, mine never did. Never ever sat on an armchair or the couch
or the bed while I as there, but preferred to sleep on the bed when
I was out. That was back in the days before cheap surveillance
cameras so it was never clear how quickly he headed for the bed
after I had left and whether he spent the entire time there or what.

Same with up ending the kitchen rubbish bin to find something
interesting in it. He never ever even had a sniff of it while I was
there, let alone up end it while I was there.

Dogs aren't intelligent enough to avoid misbehaving while the owner is
watching.

Thanks for that completely superfluous proof
that you don't have a ****ing clue about dogs.

Until the posty told me, I didn't realise that the dog went completely
****ing bananas when the posty showed up when I wasn't at home.

Consider buying a more sensible dog.

He was by far the most sensible and best
dog I have ever had and I've had plenty.

My letterbox is outside the house but only 10' from one of the 8x8'
patio doors that every room except the bathrooms and toilets have.
Apparently he used to hurl himself at the door when the posty showed
up on his motorbike to deliver a letter. All our letterboxes are outside
the house and the posty quite literally rides his small motorbike right
up to the letterboxes and puts the letters in the box with him still
sitting on the bike with his feet on the ground.

Since the dog was a ****ing great alsatian, the posty was
understandably a bit worried that one day the dog might
well come straight thru the door and eat him alive.

No dog could win a fight with an adult human.

Must be why the cops don't use them at all, guards in spades.

We can use tools, they can't.

They have their own tools built in that makes
short work of your legs and throat etc.

You can see what it had got up to when you weren't looking.

Yes, that was certainly true when he decided to see if there
was anything interesting in the kitchen garbage bin.

You punish it for those things

Easier said than done with stuff that happens when you arent there.

Show him the mess of garbage all over ther kitchen, then kick him.

Doesn't work with the bed.

Mine would never ever get up on an arm chair, couch or bed
while I was around but would go and lie on the bed when I
was out.

Show him the scratch marks or whatever damage he did,

He did no damage at all.

then kick him.

Doesn't work in that situation.

and it doesn't do them again.

That's true of some stuff, but not with other stuff.

Rubbish.

Fact.

If the dog is afraid of the punishment, he won't do whatever it is again.

Thanks for that completely superfluous proof
that you don't have a ****ing clue about dogs.

I've trained my cats not to kill birds, not to spray in the house, and
not to chew the handles off carrier bags.

Sure, but you'd never be able to train that
alsatian to not investigate other dogs he came
across when out walking never on a lead.

Whyever not?

Because some things are such a powerful behavioural
characteristic that there is **** all you can do about it.

Try getting one of the ratter breeds to not
chase a rat when he sees one sometime.

I simply don't believe your Alsation is stupider than my cats.

Its got nothing to do with stupider.

All you have to do is kick it when it does wrong.

Its much more complicated than that with some dogs.

********.

Fact.

No, everything can be trained.

That's what the fools that end up getting eaten by their lion claim.

They didn't train it well enough.

That isnt even possible with lions.

Oh yes it is.

Like hell it is.

Plenty lions are tamed.

Not one has ever been tamed enough so that there is
never any possibility of it ever getting too over excited.

There are plenty of folk who have successfully trained vicious animals.

And none that haven't had a fright at times. They don't all end up dead.

Fright isn't the same as dead.

Fright is when it didn't end up dead, stupid.

Bull**** with front doors.

And it wouldn't be hard to do
a cage that folds flat against the door auto as its opened against
the wall.

Sounds a bit complicated to me.

Trivially easy to do.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 22 Dec 2014 19:37:01 +0000, Graham. wrote:

On Mon, 22 Dec 2014 19:19:00 -0000, "Uncle Peter" wrote:

Anyone think this has any point to it?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220895854115
Fishing for keys? Why hang your keys near the door?
As for evaluating your home contents, ffs.

Apparently Chummy can fish for keys on the table several meters away.
Makes it rather difficult if he can't see them.

Or makes it impossible to level up the fishing rod sufficiently to
hook the car keys off the table 3 metres away in the hall.

A few years back, we fell victim to this copycat crime that became
popular with young teens countrywide due to some crime reporting
programme on the telly revealing this technique to all and sundry.

Luckily, the perpetrators were doing this just for amusement since we
found the car parked on the road outside our house with the keys left
on its roof the following morning when we realised the car had been
moved off the drive.

We reported the incident to the police who advised us to not leave
keys on the hall table in future but also, to guard against forgetting
such a no-brainer solution, to fit such a letterbox cover plate as an
extra security measure which we did.

Needless to say, the missus still leaves the car keys on the hall
table, much against my wishes. In this case the letterbox shield plate
is an active security measure I'd not personally require.
--
J B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 29 Dec 2014 03:24:34 -0000, Johny B Good wrote:

[...]

I really don't understand people leaving keys lying about, it means you can never find the bloody things. Mine stay in my pocket at all times. If I put on different clothes the next day, I move the keys and phone to them.

--
Australia - 2030 ?????
HEADLINES FROM THE YEAR 2030

Designing a letterbox Matty F UK diy 18 October 10th 11 09:58 PM
Letterbox draught avocado UK diy 7 March 21st 08 04:06 PM
letterbox insulation neilsolent Home Repair 5 December 19th 07 02:36 AM
Letterbox modification Hamish UK diy 17 July 20th 04 02:37 PM
Is This A Daft Idea??? Alan Darlington UK diy 3 September 18th 03 09:10 PM