Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Letterbox draught

We have a newish brush plate on the inside of our letterbox, but a
breeze still comes through. Can anyone suggest a decent looking
solution?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 11:31:57 -0700 (PDT), avocado wrote:

We have a newish brush plate on the inside of our letterbox, but a
breeze still comes through. Can anyone suggest a decent looking
solution?

My letterbox has exactly the same flap on the inside as on the outside
i.e. an aluminium flap that closes onto a plastic frame containing a neoprene
gasket and there is no draft whatsoever.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

avocado wrote:
We have a newish brush plate on the inside of our letterbox, but a
breeze still comes through. Can anyone suggest a decent looking
solution?

You've never been a paper boy, or a postman then? The main effect of
these is to make it nearly impossible to put anything through! I was
delivering leaflets for the neighbourhood association the other day.
One house had one of these gadgets, and a noisy barking dog. No *WAY*
was I putting my hand in to push the leaflet through properly!

Google for "Internal letterbox flap" (no quotes) - it gave me this:

http://www.worldofbrass.co.uk/shop/i...s/t_let001.jpg

.... without trying hard. Among 18000 other hits.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 19:55:32 +0000, Andy Champ
wrote:

avocado wrote:
We have a newish brush plate on the inside of our letterbox, but a
breeze still comes through. Can anyone suggest a decent looking
solution?

You've never been a paper boy, or a postman then? The main effect of
these is to make it nearly impossible to put anything through! I was
delivering leaflets for the neighbourhood association the other day.
One house had one of these gadgets, and a noisy barking dog. No *WAY*
was I putting my hand in to push the leaflet through properly!

It's the dogs who wait for you to put your hand in before making their
prescence known you should worry about.

Google for "Internal letterbox flap" (no quotes) - it gave me this:

http://www.worldofbrass.co.uk/shop/i...s/t_let001.jpg

... without trying hard. Among 18000 other hits.

Andy

We got a porch. The ultimate letter box cover.
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
Or get it delivered for free
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

avocado wrote:
We have a newish brush plate on the inside of our letterbox, but a
breeze still comes through. Can anyone suggest a decent looking
solution?

You've never been a paper boy, or a postman then? The main effect of
these is to make it nearly impossible to put anything through! I was
delivering leaflets for the neighbourhood association the other day.
One house had one of these gadgets, and a noisy barking dog. No
*WAY* was I putting my hand in to push the leaflet through properly!

It's the dogs who wait for you to put your hand in before making their
prescence known you should worry about.

Google for "Internal letterbox flap" (no quotes) - it gave me this:

http://www.worldofbrass.co.uk/shop/i...s/t_let001.jpg

... without trying hard. Among 18000 other hits.

Andy

We got a porch. The ultimate letter box cover.

Wish we could have a porch! Our medium sized cannine is determined to
protect us from the nasty folk who insert things through the box with
suitable audible alarm. When those highly suspect items arrive, it's his
duty to protect us by forbiddding us to pick them up! Fortunately, he
doesn't initiate a controlled destruction of the said items!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
Clot wrote:
Wish we could have a porch! Our medium sized cannine is determined to
protect us from the nasty folk who insert things through the box with
suitable audible alarm. When those highly suspect items arrive, it's
his duty to protect us by forbiddding us to pick them up!
Fortunately, he doesn't initiate a controlled destruction of the
said items!

This is a training issue.

He should be picking the morning paper up and bringing it to you in
bed.
This will allow Mrs Clot to concentrate on making your early morning
tea.

Please tell me more. I have utterly failed to train Fido, though Mrs Clot is
highly x(trained)x considerate in asking me the night before whether I
require a hot drink in bed before or after she takes Fido out for his Early
morning walk!

Fido is highly affectionate to all but particularly when I'm having
breakfast. He knows that he has a small corner of toast from each half of
two rounds and wAnders off after that opportunity!

We continue to endeavour with regard to the paper and mail, but I suspect a
lost cause!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clot says...
Wish we could have a porch! Our medium sized cannine is determined to
protect us from the nasty folk who insert things through the box with
suitable audible alarm. When those highly suspect items arrive, it's his
duty to protect us by forbiddding us to pick them up! Fortunately, he
doesn't initiate a controlled destruction of the said items!

At one house we lived at years ago, I was concerned more
about fireworks and similar being put through the
letterbox. Some nearby residents had been injured with sky
rockets put through the letter box, another house caught
fire. It was quite a dodgy area with dodgy neighbours and
dodgy kids. So I made a sturdy, but nice looking postbox
and attached it to the wall outside. Not only did I feel
somewhat safer, but it enabled me to completely seal up the
letterbox in the door, eliminating the draughts too.
--
David in Normandy.
subject line, or it will be automatically deleted.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clot says...
[...]

letterbox insulation neilsolent Home Repair 5 December 19th 07 02:36 AM
Universal Letterbox Draught Brush - inside or outside? Liz UK diy 1 October 19th 05 05:26 PM
Enlarging a letterbox? Jeremy C B Nicoll UK diy 5 August 26th 05 10:44 AM
Letterbox modification Hamish UK diy 17 July 20th 04 02:37 PM
Fitting a letterbox in a PVC door Brian UK diy 2 October 11th 03 10:23 AM