Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Recommendations for homeplug/powerline starter kit, please?

Any recommendations for homeplug/powerline starter kit please. Probably
just want a couple of plugs to start (with the possibility of adding
more plugs later?), pass-through would be nice (but not necessary);
(wi-fi would be the icing on the cake, but maybe not yet, as I want to
test that the homeplug will work across the wiring in the house).
There are positive for all the usual manufacturers (TP-Link, Devolo,
D-Link, Zyxel, Netgear) but comments/ideas would be welcome.
TIA
Allan

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 02 Dec 2014 19:41:00 +0000, Allan wrote:

Any recommendations for homeplug/powerline starter kit please. Probably
just want a couple of plugs to start (with the possibility of adding
more plugs later?), pass-through would be nice (but not necessary);
(wi-fi would be the icing on the cake, but maybe not yet, as I want to
test that the homeplug will work across the wiring in the house). There
are positive for all the usual manufacturers (TP-Link, Devolo, D-Link,
Zyxel, Netgear) but comments/ideas would be welcome.
TIA Allan

No No No!

Think of the RF interference you will inflict on yourself & the
neighbours (nearly as bad as a plasm TV).

Likely not be able to listen to MW or LW radio etc.

AVpx

(OK so I'm a radio amateur and I prize the RF spectrum that is corrupted
by these works of satan)

--
The truth isn't easily pinned to a page. In the bathtub of history the
truth is harder to hold than soap, and much more difficult to find...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/12/2014 7:41 pm, Allan wrote:
Any recommendations for homeplug/powerline starter kit please. Probably
just want a couple of plugs to start (with the possibility of adding
more plugs later?), pass-through would be nice (but not necessary);
(wi-fi would be the icing on the cake, but maybe not yet, as I want to
test that the homeplug will work across the wiring in the house).
There are positive for all the usual manufacturers (TP-Link, Devolo,
D-Link, Zyxel, Netgear) but comments/ideas would be welcome.
TIA
Allan

I use an inexpensive pair of TP-Link PA411KIT AV500 500 Mbps Powerline
Adapters to connect my network switch with my Humax satellite TV box on
another floor of the house and they are just fine. I can't help with the
more complex/expensive devices.

--
Bob
Tetbury, Gloucestershire, England

Barbecue - Food prepared alfresco on a grill in the belief that
salmonella-infected meat cooked in sweat and dead flies is appetising.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Nomad
writes
On Tue, 02 Dec 2014 19:41:00 +0000, Allan wrote:

Any recommendations for homeplug/powerline starter kit please. Probably
just want a couple of plugs to start (with the possibility of adding
more plugs later?), pass-through would be nice (but not necessary);
(wi-fi would be the icing on the cake, but maybe not yet, as I want to
test that the homeplug will work across the wiring in the house). There
are positive for all the usual manufacturers (TP-Link, Devolo, D-Link,
Zyxel, Netgear) but comments/ideas would be welcome.
TIA Allan

No No No!

Think of the RF interference you will inflict on yourself & the
neighbours (nearly as bad as a plasm TV).

Likely not be able to listen to MW or LW radio etc.

We have a couple, it doesn't seem to affect MW radio in our house (not
that I listen to it normally, but I did as an experiment)

AVpx

(OK so I'm a radio amateur and I prize the RF spectrum that is corrupted
by these works of satan)

I know these seem to be a problem sometimes, but it isn't being an
obvious problem for us.

Anyway, it's the only way the network was going to get extended out to
the outbuildings for the forseeable future. Either running CAT5 out
there or using wifi directional aerials is goign to be non trivial.

OP, FWIW I could a couple of basic Dlink units - cos they were on a
cheap deal- about £15/pair. They seem to work. Don't suppose they are
very fast, but not an issue in this situation.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02 Dec 2014, Bob Henson grunted:

On 02/12/2014 7:41 pm, Allan wrote:
Any recommendations for homeplug/powerline starter kit please. Probably
just want a couple of plugs to start (with the possibility of adding
more plugs later?), pass-through would be nice (but not necessary);
(wi-fi would be the icing on the cake, but maybe not yet, as I want to
test that the homeplug will work across the wiring in the house).
There are positive for all the usual manufacturers (TP-Link, Devolo,
D-Link, Zyxel, Netgear) but comments/ideas would be welcome.

I use an inexpensive pair of TP-Link PA411KIT AV500 500 Mbps Powerline
Adapters to connect my network switch with my Humax satellite TV box on
another floor of the house and they are just fine. I can't help with the
more complex/expensive devices.

Yeah we have a couple of that model too, for a specific role - very
straightforward, plug'n play, have always worked fine.

--
David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Don't bother. They are more trouble than they are worth, and cause radio
interference for about a quarter of a mile. There is a debate raging at the
moment as to whether they contravene the wireless telegraphy act on
unlicensed transmissions, though Europe are seemingly promoting this. why do
you think that AM medium, long and short wave bands are now so rare? Mainly
due to noisy switch mode power supplies and home plug networks.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Allan" wrote in message
Any recommendations for homeplug/powerline starter kit please. Probably
just want a couple of plugs to start (with the possibility of adding more
plugs later?), pass-through would be nice (but not necessary); (wi-fi
would be the icing on the cake, but maybe not yet, as I want to test that
the homeplug will work across the wiring in the house).
There are positive for all the usual manufacturers (TP-Link, Devolo,
D-Link, Zyxel, Netgear) but comments/ideas would be welcome.
TIA
Allan

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The newer ones are very crafty. they have notch filters for medium and long
wave and most amateur bands, but not shortwave broadcast bands or rather
worryingly the hf frequencies still used by and aircraft.

They can also become faulty and lost their filters I notice, or maybe they
are just cheap chinese copies that are crap to start with.
Marine

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Chris French" wrote in message
In message , The Nomad
writes
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:

They are more trouble than they are worth, and cause radio
interference for about a quarter of a mile.

Here Dobbin! Come back! It's a lovely warm stable, I could fix that door
.... whistle here boy, no don't go ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 2 Dec 2014 20:15:07 +0000, Chris French
wrote:

In message , The Nomad
writes
[...]

Homeplugs are slow IME. I recommend running Cat5E (or Cat 6) cables
and make a 'proper' network. I've nearly finished doing this myself
so can retire the Homeplugs.
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/12/2014 08:41, Andy Burns wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote:

They are more trouble than they are worth, and cause radio
interference for about a quarter of a mile.

Here Dobbin! Come back! It's a lovely warm stable, I could fix that door
... whistle here boy, no don't go ...

It is also not true unless you are talking of the sort of ultra low
noise receivers more typical of a radio astronomy observatory.

There is no detectable hit on MW or LW stations - there might be a tiny
increase in interstation noise background so if you want to listen to
very distant signals from radio Belgrade then there might be a problem.

My scanner sees far more interference from CFLs and computer PSUs.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Martin Brown |||newspam|||
@nezumi.demon.co.uk scribeth thus
Brian Gaff wrote:

They are more trouble than they are worth, and cause radio
interference for about a quarter of a mile.

Here Dobbin! Come back! It's a lovely warm stable, I could fix that door
... whistle here boy, no don't go ...

It is also not true unless you are talking of the sort of ultra low
noise receivers more typical of a radio astronomy observatory.

There is no detectable hit on MW or LW stations - there might be a tiny
increase in interstation noise background so if you want to listen to
very distant signals from radio Belgrade then there might be a problem.

My scanner sees far more interference from CFLs and computer PSUs.

Very good article on the BBC research site about the amount of
interference they do cause to FM and DAB radio reception...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/publications/whitepaper195
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 03 Dec 2014 08:41:53 +0000, Andy Burns
wrote:

Brian Gaff wrote:

They are more trouble than they are worth, and cause radio
interference for about a quarter of a mile.

Here Dobbin! Come back! It's a lovely warm stable, I could fix that door
... whistle here boy, no don't go ...

Complete with a coach to drive through the EMC regulations.
--
J B Good