Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

Default Powerline adapters - any recommendations?

Just moved into new place, cottage with tiled floors, thick walls and no
prospect of running cable neatly. Wireless works but only get 10Mbps.

So looking for recommends for powerline adapters. Quality and
reliability more important than price.

Anyone?

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

Mike Tomlinson wrote:
Just moved into new place, cottage with tiled floors, thick walls and no
prospect of running cable neatly. Wireless works but only get 10Mbps.

So looking for recommends for powerline adapters. Quality and
reliability more important than price.

Anyone?

I use them to link to my backup drive in the detached garage.

I started off with Devolo units which I selected partly on the fact that
they had flying leads rather than being of the huge wall-wart variety.
They worked OK but one failed after a year or two, and when I bought a
replacement that didn't last very long either.

Then I bought a pair of TrendNet TPL-401E units, which *are* large
wall-warts, but I also have a TrendNet wireless router which has
impressive performance and reliability so I trusted the brand a bit. The
powerline adapters work extremely well and I had to scrabble under the
desk to see what they were because I haven't given them a moment's
thought since installing them a few years ago.

HTH

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 10 Dec 2013 03:39:14 +0000, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

Just moved into new place, cottage with tiled floors, thick walls and no
prospect of running cable neatly.

Not even via the loft and down corners of rooms behind doors inside
the smallest box conduit you can get (15 sq mm?)? The boxed in
internal soil stack, if you have one, can be handy as well.

Wireless works but only get 10Mbps.

Is that with the AP placed in a good location for it, like in the
apex of the roof so it can "see" down into most of the building
through the floors or sat under a desk in a rats nest of cables
against a wall at one end of the property where the phone line just
happens to be?

So looking for recommends for powerline adapters.

I'd try really hard to get cables in but then I also want to listen
to HF radio, failing cables WiFi but with the AP (just the AP, not
modem, router, switch and AP all in one box) sited for coverage not
convenience, last resort powerline...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On 10/12/2013 03:39, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

Just moved into new place, cottage with tiled floors, thick walls and no
prospect of running cable neatly. Wireless works but only get 10Mbps.

So looking for recommends for powerline adapters. Quality and
reliability more important than price.

Anyone?

I have 2 TP Link adaptors and find that they work as expected. I've had
them in use for over a year now, and they still work as they should.

I used to use a TP Link router which worked great, so that's why I went
for the TP Link brand.
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On 10/12/2013 03:39 Mike Tomlinson wrote:

Just moved into new place, cottage with tiled floors, thick walls and no
prospect of running cable neatly. Wireless works but only get 10Mbps.

So looking for recommends for powerline adapters. Quality and
reliability more important than price.

I've got Ebuyer's own brand adapters which work well but seem to go out
of stock frequently (as they are now!).

Whichever you get, try to get pass-through adapters to preserve the 13
amp socket you're using.

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

In article o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes

Not even via the loft

There isn't one. Ceilings taken up to rafters, celotex and insulation
behind. Velux skylights. Lovely in summer :-)

and down corners of rooms behind doors inside
the smallest box conduit you can get

The run is awkward (I want to get from downstairs to upstairs), it would
mean drilling through two 3ft thick walls, and box conduit would be very
visible even if painted over. No covings to try and thread behind.

Going out through the 3ft thick wall, round the outside (hidden under
bell casting at bottom of render) then up the wall and in is a
possibility but a lot of work and I CBA.

(15 sq mm?)? The boxed in
internal soil stack

There isn't one :-) Stack is external

Is that with the AP placed in a good location for it

Almost line of sight. Full signal strength shown. Adapter in the PC is
only b I think, and it's not upgradeable (Asus eeePC). Conversely, it
has 100Mbit hard wired ethernet.

I'd try really hard to get cables in

I'd love to. Last place I was in had suspended floors, when the heating
engineers installed a new CH system, I took advantage of the lifted
boards to run Cat5 everywhere with patch panel in the understairs
cupboard.

It's not going to be that easy in this place :-)

last resort powerline...

That's where I am, last resort. Apologies in advance to any radio
amateurs in the vicinity.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

In article , Mike Tomlinson
writes

So looking for recommends for powerline adapters.

Thanks for the replies. TP-Link seem to have a good reputation, and
indeed one poster has replied to recommend them, so I've ordered this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370946233352

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 10 Dec 2013 11:30:47 +0000, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

In article , Mike Tomlinson
writes

So looking for recommends for powerline adapters.

Thanks for the replies. TP-Link seem to have a good reputation, and
indeed one poster has replied to recommend them, so I've ordered this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370946233352

I'm growing to like TP-link stuff; it seems to be good value for money.

I've used 'mymemory' outside of eBay in the past. No issues, but delivery
tends to be slow as they are offshore.

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply.

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chronos writes

Personally, I suspect something as simple as
ferrites on the ring main at the distribution board would lower the
incidence of interference vastly.

Wouldn't that attenuate the powerline signal, and prevent it
transferring across rings on different breakers/circuits? Similar
thing to when the makers of the adapters tell you not to plug them into
surge protected strips, as the surge protection kills the signal.

If you keep the RF on the balanced
parts of the mains (flat twin and earth isn't that bad) and stop it
leaking into coaxial supply lines, in theory there should be very
little problem.

RF chokes on the cables between the CU and the meter? Making a few turns
might be a bit tricky though :-)

I'll make no bones
about it, radio amateurs can be a stubborn, uncaring lot

Can't say I had noticed :-)

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 10 Dec 2013 11:29:11 +0000, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

Not even via the loft

There isn't one. Ceilings taken up to rafters, celotex and insulation
behind. Velux skylights. Lovely in summer :-)

Dwarf walls? Space behind (damn missed that straw...).

The run is awkward (I want to get from downstairs to upstairs), it would
mean drilling through two 3ft thick walls, and box conduit would be very
visible even if painted over. No covings to try and thread behind.

That's why I suggested hiding the conduit in the corner behind a
door.

+-------
D-o-o-r

Door open all you'll see is the top 18" or so which is above your
eyeline. Door closed, well I don't sit in a room looking at the door

Almost line of sight. Full signal strength shown. Adapter in the PC is
only b I think, and it's not upgradeable (Asus eeePC). Conversely, it
has 100Mbit hard wired ethernet.

Is 10 Mbps a real limitation? How fast is your incoming internet? and
an eeePC isn't exactly high powered either so would not make full use
of 100 Mbps if shifting large files locally.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On 10/12/2013 11:46, Chris Whelan wrote:
On Tue, 10 Dec 2013 11:30:47 +0000, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

In article , Mike Tomlinson
writes

So looking for recommends for powerline adapters.

Thanks for the replies. TP-Link seem to have a good reputation, and
indeed one poster has replied to recommend them, so I've ordered this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370946233352

I'm growing to like TP-link stuff; it seems to be good value for money.

I've used 'mymemory' outside of eBay in the past. No issues, but delivery
tends to be slow as they are offshore.

Chris

Their wifi products seem to perform very well.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 10 Dec 2013 22:52:24 +0000, polygonum
wrote:

On 10/12/2013 11:46, Chris Whelan wrote:
On Tue, 10 Dec 2013 11:30:47 +0000, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

In article , Mike Tomlinson
writes

So looking for recommends for powerline adapters.

Thanks for the replies. TP-Link seem to have a good reputation, and
indeed one poster has replied to recommend them, so I've ordered this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370946233352

I'm growing to like TP-link stuff; it seems to be good value for money.

I've used 'mymemory' outside of eBay in the past. No issues, but delivery
tends to be slow as they are offshore.

Chris

Their wifi products seem to perform very well.

Check for one thing - a friend bought a dual band 2.4/5GHz router/AP,
and it'll only do one or the other frequency, not both simultaneously.
Feh.

Not sure which model, I'm afraid.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

In article o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes

Dwarf walls? Space behind (damn missed that straw...).

It is actually dot-and-dab and plasterboard on old brick walls, but the
gap is filled with polystyrene insulation. I've managed to do a couple
of short runs, to add sockets and a wall light, by poking cables through
the insulation, but a long one (floor to ceiling) isn't gonna work.

That's why I suggested hiding the conduit in the corner behind a
door.

Did think of that, but the door's in the wrong place. To get the cable
to where I want it downstairs, I'd have to come down behind the door
(which is in a corner), and right around the perimeter of the room.
Solid floors, no skirtings. Then upstairs, there's a doorway and a
fireplace in the way, and an engineered wood floor which I'm not ripping
up.

Is 10 Mbps a real limitation?

Yes, I stream video and music from a media server, and run nightly
backups too. It's probably perfectly safe, but I don't like running
backups over something as ephemeral as wireless.

How fast is your incoming internet?

Not relevant as I need the link for media streaming and backup, not
internet, but it's ~13Mbps. FTTC cabinet has just arrived in the
street, and the BT line checker promises 79Mbps :-)

and
an eeePC isn't exactly high powered either so would not make full use
of 100 Mbps if shifting large files locally.

The eeePC displays stuff from a media server on my big TV.

The media server and backup server which will be going on the other end
of the link. They have gigabit interfaces but if I can get 100Mbps over
the powerline adapters, I'll be happy.

Trust me, I would very much prefer a cable, but have a lot of other
things going on right now. Will revisit it when I'm settled and have
time.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 10/12/2013 11:46, Chris Whelan wrote:
On Tue, 10 Dec 2013 11:30:47 +0000, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

In article , Mike Tomlinson
writes

So looking for recommends for powerline adapters.

Thanks for the replies. TP-Link seem to have a good reputation, and
indeed one poster has replied to recommend them, so I've ordered this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370946233352

I'm growing to like TP-link stuff; it seems to be good value for money.

I've used 'mymemory' outside of eBay in the past. No issues, but delivery
tends to be slow as they are offshore.

Chris

Their wifi products seem to perform very well.

Check for one thing - a friend bought a dual band 2.4/5GHz router/AP,
and it'll only do one or the other frequency, not both simultaneously.
Feh.

That's a common limitation IIRC.
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 12 Dec 2013 09:42:51 +0000, Mark wrote:

[...]

Check for one thing - a friend bought a dual band 2.4/5GHz router/AP,
and it'll only do one or the other frequency, not both simultaneously.
Feh.

That's a common limitation IIRC.

Less so than it used to be. For example, VM's original Superhub is
'either/or', whereas the latest version allows concurrent dual-band.

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply.

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 10/12/2013 11:46, Chris Whelan wrote:

I'm growing to like TP-link stuff; it seems to be good value for money.

Their wifi products seem to perform very well.

Check for one thing - a friend bought a dual band 2.4/5GHz router/AP,
and it'll only do one or the other frequency, not both simultaneously.
Feh.

That's a common limitation IIRC.

Is it? How intensely crap. The AP I've been using since 2011 is dual
simultaneously (Apple Airport Extreme).

Cheers - Jaimie
--
"Yrlsqb nx sobshuggum illingoon. Mark my words!" - Cyril Q Kornbluth
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 10/12/2013 11:46, Chris Whelan wrote:

I'm growing to like TP-link stuff; it seems to be good value for money.

Their wifi products seem to perform very well.

Check for one thing - a friend bought a dual band 2.4/5GHz router/AP,
and it'll only do one or the other frequency, not both simultaneously.
Feh.

That's a common limitation IIRC.

Is it? How intensely crap. The AP I've been using since 2011 is dual
simultaneously (Apple Airport Extreme).

As I recall when attempting to source a dual band router I found many
that could only use one band at once.
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

Mike Tomlinson wrote:
Just moved into new place, cottage with tiled floors, thick walls and no
prospect of running cable neatly. Wireless works but only get 10Mbps.

So looking for recommends for powerline adapters. Quality and
reliability more important than price.

Anyone?

Coming at it from another angle, perhaps worth upgrading your router? I
treated myself to an Asus RT AC66U, and it made a massive difference to my
wireless speeds. Like where I couldn't get a signal with my old D-Link
router, I was getting 50 meg on my iphone and ipad. I get 100 meg when in
the same room as it. And those speeds aren't the speed reported by the
device, they're the result of using speedtest.net on a 100 meg connection,
so I'm not sure how much faster it will run.

The router cost about £100, but it is so much better than the old unit it
was worth every penny.
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y
Rob Rob is offline

On 13/12/2013 01:34, GS wrote:
Chris Whelan wrote:
I'm growing to like TP-link stuff; it seems to be good value for money.

I bought some from 7dayshop good price but kept getting BSOD. Changed to
Devolo problem solved

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On 13/12/2013 15:11, Rob wrote:
On 13/12/2013 01:34, GS wrote:
Chris Whelan wrote:
I'm growing to like TP-link stuff; it seems to be good value for money.

I bought some from 7dayshop good price but kept getting BSOD. Changed to
Devolo problem solved

I'm running 2 Netgear switches , and have had no problems at all. I have
also use TP link switches before and were trouble free.

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On 13/12/2013 15:11, Rob wrote:
On 13/12/2013 01:34, GS wrote:
Chris Whelan wrote:
I'm growing to like TP-link stuff; it seems to be good value for money.

I bought some from 7dayshop good price but kept getting BSOD. Changed to
Devolo problem solved

You must be running something odd to get BSODs from changing an ethernet
connection.
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

In article , Mike Tomlinson wrote:
Is 10 Mbps a real limitation?

Yes, I stream video and music from a media server, and run nightly
backups too. It's probably perfectly safe, but I don't like running
backups over something as ephemeral as wireless.

Yes, *of course* 10Mb/s is a limitation.

I'm not sure that running backups over wireless should worry you,
though, unless the volume being backed up requires greater bandwidth.
Yes, wireless is less reliable than Cat6 ... but not much less
reliable, and I'm not sure that I'd regard powerline as being any more
so.

Trust me, I would very much prefer a cable, but have a lot of other
things going on right now. Will revisit it when I'm settled and have
time.

Makes sense.

Cheers,
Daniel.

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

Default Powerline adapters - any recommendations? - update

En el artículo , Mike Tomlinson
escribió:

So looking for recommends for powerline adapters. Quality and
reliability more important than price.

Update: Ordered a pair of TP-Link model TL-PA211 200Mbps nano powerline
adapters (20 quid delivered) before Christmas, waiting for me today on
my return from hols.

Very smart, very compact, totally unobtrusive.

Installed and Just Worked, the utility on the mini-CD included in the
pack reports a data rate of 170Mbps.

I'm happy.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 6 Jan 2014 22:48:38 +0000, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

I'm happy.

But I wouldn't like to say that anyone trying to use HF radio within
half a mile is...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

In article o.uk, Dave
Liquorice scribeth thus
On Mon, 6 Jan 2014 22:48:38 +0000, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

I'm happy.

But I wouldn't like to say that anyone trying to use HF radio within
half a mile is...

Or FM or DAB either...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/people/m-waddell

scroll down to whitepaper 195 interesting reading;!...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote:
On Mon, 6 Jan 2014 22:48:38 +0000, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

I'm happy.

But I wouldn't like to say that anyone trying to use HF radio within
half a mile is...

So probably nobody is unhappy then.
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

En el artículo 2145846706410867185.557007simonfinnigan-hotmail.com@news
..individual.net, Simon Finnigan escribió:

So probably nobody is unhappy then.

Subtle. :-)

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 07 Jan 2014 18:47:51 -0000, tony sayer wrote:

In article o.uk, Dave
Liquorice scribeth thus
On Mon, 6 Jan 2014 22:48:38 +0000, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

I'm happy.

But I wouldn't like to say that anyone trying to use HF radio within
half a mile is...

Or FM or DAB either...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/people/m-waddell

scroll down to whitepaper 195 interesting reading;!...

Do people actually still use radio? It's just a TV without a picture.

--
The only thing that saves us from the bureaucracy is it's inefficiency -- Eugene McCarthy
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 08 Jan 2014 21:25:29 -0000, Uncle Peter wrote:

I'm happy.

But I wouldn't like to say that anyone trying to use HF radio

within
half a mile is...

Or FM or DAB either...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/people/m-waddell

scroll down to whitepaper 195 interesting reading;!...

Do people actually still use radio?

I do, though of the radio content I listen to most is via podcasts
but if I'm doing some diy stuff I'll have the radio on.

It's just a TV without a picture.

The pictures are better on radio.

Only half brain dead couch potatoes need pictures, 'cause the words
are too difficult on their own.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

They play ****. Better to play your own music, then you get your choice.

It's just a TV without a picture.

The pictures are better on radio.

Only half brain dead couch potatoes need pictures, 'cause the words
are too difficult on their own.

Why are you on the internet instead of a CB?

--
I went to buy some camoflage trousers the other day but I couldn't find any.
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 08 Jan 2014 23:28:40 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Wed, 08 Jan 2014 21:25:29 -0000, Uncle Peter wrote:

I'm happy.

But I wouldn't like to say that anyone trying to use HF radio

within
half a mile is...

Or FM or DAB either...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/people/m-waddell

scroll down to whitepaper 195 interesting reading;!...

Do people actually still use radio?

I do, though of the radio content I listen to most is via podcasts
but if I'm doing some diy stuff I'll have the radio on.

I listen to the radio a lot more than watch TV. I like the rock radio
stations and some of the comedy on R4. I avoid podcasts since I am
fed up with hearing "this part of the programme has been removed for
copyright reasons".
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artÃ*culo 2145846706410867185.557007simonfinnigan-hotmail.com@news
.individual.net, Simon Finnigan escribió:

So probably nobody is unhappy then.

Subtle. :-)

Moi?

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Wed, 08 Jan 2014 21:25:29 -0000, Uncle Peter wrote:

But I wouldn't like to say that anyone trying to use HF radio

within
half a mile is...

Or FM or DAB either...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/people/m-waddell

scroll down to whitepaper 195 interesting reading;!...

Do people actually still use radio?

I do, though of the radio content I listen to most is via podcasts
but if I'm doing some diy stuff I'll have the radio on.

I listen to the radio a lot more than watch TV. I like the rock radio
stations and some of the comedy on R4. I avoid podcasts since I am
fed up with hearing "this part of the programme has been removed for
copyright reasons".

I hate listening to music I don't like, so I always play my own collection.

--
Peter is listening to "Johnny Cash - God's Gonna Cut You Down"
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Wed, 08 Jan 2014 21:25:29 -0000, Uncle Peter wrote:

But I wouldn't like to say that anyone trying to use HF radio
within
half a mile is...

Or FM or DAB either...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/people/m-waddell

scroll down to whitepaper 195 interesting reading;!...

Do people actually still use radio?

I do, though of the radio content I listen to most is via podcasts
but if I'm doing some diy stuff I'll have the radio on.

I listen to the radio a lot more than watch TV. I like the rock radio
stations and some of the comedy on R4. I avoid podcasts since I am
fed up with hearing "this part of the programme has been removed for
copyright reasons".

I hate listening to music I don't like, so I always play my own collection.

I hate hearning music I don't like to too. However I sometimes take a
risk and listen to a station that usually plays music I like.
Otherwise I would rarely discover anything new.
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Wed, 08 Jan 2014 21:25:29 -0000, Uncle Peter wrote:

within

Do people actually still use radio?

I do, though of the radio content I listen to most is via podcasts
but if I'm doing some diy stuff I'll have the radio on.

I listen to the radio a lot more than watch TV. I like the rock radio
stations and some of the comedy on R4. I avoid podcasts since I am
fed up with hearing "this part of the programme has been removed for
copyright reasons".

I hate listening to music I don't like, so I always play my own collection.

I hate hearning music I don't like to too. However I sometimes take a
risk and listen to a station that usually plays music I like.

If I have to listen to radio, I'll flip station as soon as a DJ talks or some music I dislike is played.

Otherwise I would rarely discover anything new.

I discover new things when someone else mentions them.

--
An English woman who has been blind for 26 years got her sight back after suffering a heart attack.
Unfortunately, after she was able to see her doctors bill she had several more heart attacks.
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Wed, 08 Jan 2014 21:25:29 -0000, Uncle Peter wrote:

within

Do people actually still use radio?

I do, though of the radio content I listen to most is via podcasts
but if I'm doing some diy stuff I'll have the radio on.

I listen to the radio a lot more than watch TV. I like the rock radio
stations and some of the comedy on R4. I avoid podcasts since I am
fed up with hearing "this part of the programme has been removed for
copyright reasons".

I hate listening to music I don't like, so I always play my own collection.

I hate hearning music I don't like to too. However I sometimes take a
risk and listen to a station that usually plays music I like.

If I have to listen to radio, I'll flip station as soon as a DJ talks or some music I dislike is played.

+1

Otherwise I would rarely discover anything new.

I discover new things when someone else mentions them.

That's another way. However some of the stuff I like is pretty
obscure so I doubt many people would (mention them).
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I listen to the radio a lot more than watch TV. I like the rock radio
stations and some of the comedy on R4. I avoid podcasts since I am
fed up with hearing "this part of the programme has been removed for
copyright reasons".

I hate listening to music I don't like, so I always play my own collection.

I hate hearning music I don't like to too. However I sometimes take a
risk and listen to a station that usually plays music I like.

If I have to listen to radio, I'll flip station as soon as a DJ talks or some music I dislike is played.

+1

Otherwise I would rarely discover anything new.

I discover new things when someone else mentions them.

That's another way. However some of the stuff I like is pretty
obscure so I doubt many people would (mention them).

You don't have equally obscure friends then?

--
What does a married man say after sex?
Don't tell my wife.