manaen

Default Powerline

Does anyone know where I can purchase a powerline antenna? These used to
be very plentiful. They seem to be very hard to find these days though.
Could anyone point me in the proper direction?
Richard Crowley

"manaen" wrote ...
Does anyone know where I can purchase a powerline antenna? These used to
be very plentiful. They seem to be very hard to find these days though.

Perhaps because they were marketing gimmics that never really worked?

Could anyone point me in the proper direction?

In the rip-off section next to the snake-oil?

Jerry G.

These never worked very well. It is another gimmick to make people spend
their money. For a local inside antenna, nothing beats a simple pair of
rabbit ears.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

"manaen" wrote in message
news Does anyone know where I can purchase a powerline antenna? These used to
be very plentiful. They seem to be very hard to find these days though.
Could anyone point me in the proper direction?

James Sweet

"manaen" wrote in message
news
Does anyone know where I can purchase a powerline antenna? These used to
be very plentiful. They seem to be very hard to find these days though.
Could anyone point me in the proper direction?

Nobody sells them because they're junk and never worked worth a crap.

manaen

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 21:21:45 +0000, James Sweet wrote:

"manaen" wrote in message
news
Does anyone know where I can purchase a powerline antenna? These used to
be very plentiful. They seem to be very hard to find these days though.
Could anyone point me in the proper direction?

Nobody sells them because they're junk and never worked worth a crap.

Uhm that's not entirely true I am *not talking about the plug your tv into
the wall outlet type of powerline antenna. I am talking about the type of
antenna that you could hook up to a powerline and examine pn pg ng
individually while having your receiver hooked into an outlet. It may or
may not have some attenuation switches as well to keep you from blowing
the front end of your receiver up. I am well aware of the limitations
surrounding powerlines. I would be using this for experimentation. The
powerline antenna would primarily be for the protecton of the receiver
connected to the outlet. I really don't care if there is static. There
used to be a few companies that sold such boxes, but i have not been able
to find them.
I appreciate the help everyone has given though.

Sofie

manaen:
Our local, small town power company just uses cheap AM radios that have a
signal strength meter to look for noisy power lines, bad insulators and
such.
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie

news

"manaen" wrote in message
[...]

manaen

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 10:33:13 -0800, Sofie wrote:

manaen:
Our local, small town power company just uses cheap AM radios that have a
signal strength meter to look for noisy power lines, bad insulators and
such.

That is an interesting solution for stuff that radiates out into
freespace. I am going to have to go dig up an old am radio and check
it out. What I am really interested in looking at is the carrier current
communications that are on the line and not radiating out into freespace
(I know no matter how small a signal on the line is there probably are
some freespace emanations). Guess I need a box, with a powerline input and
bnc output that blocks AC voltage, DC voltage, switches between PG PN NG
and can attenuate an rf signal from 10 to 30 dbm. Almost forgot, a 60hz
comb notch filter would be nice as well. I could "hack" together a
solution but I am pretty sure others have done this already.