Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Car: battery charger, jump starter, tyre pump.....recommendations please.

I am looking for one of those all in one: charger, starter, tyre pump
thingies.
I don't know the proper name.

Recommendations please.

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
mark wrote:
I am looking for one of those all in one: charger, starter, tyre pump
thingies. I don't know the proper name.

Recommendations please.

I've not seen one that is a charger too - the one supplied with the pack
is usually just a wall wart for charging its internal battery.

I have one bought from Lidl many years ago. It long since ceased being any
use to actually start a car - it can't deliver high current any more - but
still works just fine as a tyre compressor, and holds the battery charge
well. And I suspect pretty all of them will be the same - only a limited
number of starts before the battery is knackered.

--
*Money isn't everything, but it sure keeps the kids in touch.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
mark wrote:
I am looking for one of those all in one: charger, starter, tyre pump
thingies. I don't know the proper name.

Recommendations please.

I've not seen one that is a charger too - the one supplied with the pack
is usually just a wall wart for charging its internal battery.

I have one bought from Lidl many years ago. It long since ceased being any
use to actually start a car - it can't deliver high current any more - but
still works just fine as a tyre compressor, and holds the battery charge
well. And I suspect pretty all of them will be the same - only a limited
number of starts before the battery is knackered.

That was my experience when I bought one many years ago. These days my
device of choice is a beefy mains charger from Machine Mart which gives
20 amps or so on "high", and has a "boost" setting where it will deliver
lots of amps for a few seconds. This will start my 2.8 diesel. I tend to
give it five minutes or so on "high" first. I've never needed it away
from mains but I expect a small petrol generator would run it OK (at
least for the high charge).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mark wrote:
I am looking for one of those all in one: charger, starter, tyre pump
thingies.
I don't know the proper name.

Recommendations please.

mark

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_255206

We have two of these. Very good, although we don't use them for vehicle
starting. Invaluable in a power cut.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"mark" wrote in message
o.uk...
I am looking for one of those all in one: charger, starter, tyre pump
thingies.
I don't know the proper name.

Recommendations please.

IIRC most of these only have puny batteries and so aren't much good for jump
starting vehicles.
If you look at the size of them compared to a normal automotive battery you
can see that they can't have a very large battery inside.
If you are looking for a proper jump starter then look for one that garages
or the AA/RAC use every day - however I think that the price might scare you
:-)
Generally these don't come with a tyre pump included.
Better perhaps to get a proper battery, a charger to keep it topped up, and
a stand alone tyre pump.
You can use a cigar lighter socket to drive the pump off the battery if you
want.
Nowhere near as cheap as the 'all in one' solutions you see at Hafords but
then they will probably do the job.

Cheers

Dave R
[Not even bunny]