Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT homeplug phenomenon?

got 3 homeplugs on a home network -

when (for testing purposes) I plug a fourth in to a socket near where
an existing homeplug is plugged in, one of the other distant homeplugs
stops working properly (IP cam - no picture). But if I plug the fourth
one into a socket further round the *same 240v circuit* as before- all
is well.....???? any clues/thoughts please?

Cheers
Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote:

got 3 homeplugs on a home network -

when (for testing purposes) I plug a fourth in to a socket near where
an existing homeplug is plugged in, one of the other distant homeplugs
stops working properly (IP cam - no picture). But if I plug the fourth
one into a socket further round the *same 240v circuit* as before- all
is well.....???? any clues/thoughts please?

Are any of the homeplugs in sockets that are spurs (or 4way extension
leads) rather than directly on the ring? sounds like some sort of
reflection issue ... after all the mains is acting as an unterminated bus.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 July, 21:59, Andy Burns wrote:
Jim K wrote:
got 3 homeplugs on a home network -

when (for testing purposes) I plug a fourth in to a socket near where
an existing homeplug is plugged in, one of the other distant homeplugs
stops working properly (IP cam - no picture). But if I plug the fourth
one into a socket further round the *same 240v circuit* as before- all
is well.....???? any clues/thoughts please?

Are any of the homeplugs in sockets that are spurs (or 4way extension
leads) rather than directly on the ring? sounds like some sort of
reflection issue ... after all the mains is acting as an unterminated bus.

mmm interesting.... the remote ip cam (that goes awol when the fourth
homeplug is plugged in) is on a 4gang lead,
another homeplug is in a 6gang lead on a desktop, and the router's
homeplug is in another 4gang lead....

NB they don;t all go down - just appears to be the IP cam homeplug
that fails?

Is that a "requirement" that they plug straight into a "direct circuit
fed mains wall socket" ?? (for want of a better description!)

Cheers
Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K :
Is that a "requirement" that they plug straight into a "direct circuit
fed mains wall socket" ?? (for want of a better description!)

AFAIK that's just a performance matter. I've never had a problem using
extension leads.

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote:
got 3 homeplugs on a home network -

when (for testing purposes) I plug a fourth in to a socket near where
an existing homeplug is plugged in, one of the other distant homeplugs
stops working properly (IP cam - no picture). But if I plug the fourth
one into a socket further round the *same 240v circuit* as before- all
is well.....???? any clues/thoughts please?

RF is magic, not science.

As anyone who has dealt with it intimately can tell you.

Cheers
Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote:
got 3 homeplugs on a home network -

when (for testing purposes) I plug a fourth in to a socket near where
an existing homeplug is plugged in, one of the other distant homeplugs
stops working properly (IP cam - no picture). But if I plug the fourth
one into a socket further round the *same 240v circuit* as before- all
is well.....???? any clues/thoughts please?

RF is magic, not science.

As anyone who has dealt with it intimately can tell you.

Cheers
Jim K

Especially waveguide theory.......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote:
[...]

didn't have one YST ;)

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/07/2010 22:27 Jim K wrote:

Is that a "requirement" that they plug straight into a "direct circuit
fed mains wall socket" ?? (for want of a better description!)

Not a 'requirement', but I've always seen it described as 'recommended'.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22 July, 14:52, F news@nowhere wrote:
On 20/07/2010 22:27 Jim K wrote:

Is that a "requirement" that they plug straight into a "direct circuit
fed mains wall socket" ?? (for want of a better description!)

Not a 'requirement', but I've always seen it described as 'recommended'.

mmm... nothing in devolos online manual ... you gotta link I can
study?

Cheers
Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/07/2010 20:31, Jim K wrote:
got 3 homeplugs on a home network -

when (for testing purposes) I plug a fourth in to a socket near where
an existing homeplug is plugged in, one of the other distant homeplugs
stops working properly (IP cam - no picture). But if I plug the fourth
one into a socket further round the *same 240v circuit* as before- all
is well.....???? any clues/thoughts please?

Cheers
Jim K

Same manufacturer? Which one?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/07/2010 22:27 Jim K wrote:

Is that a "requirement" that they plug straight into a "direct circuit
fed mains wall socket" ?? (for want of a better description!)

Not a 'requirement', but I've always seen it described as 'recommended'.

mmm... nothing in devolos online manual ... you gotta link I can
study?

No link, but it's been in the instructions for the three different
brands I've used over the past few years.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Barnes wrote:

Jim K :
Is that a "requirement" that they plug straight into a "direct circuit
fed mains wall socket" ?? (for want of a better description!)

AFAIK that's just a performance matter. I've never had a problem using
extension leads.

When I had a problem with four devolo homeplugs their tech support
people asked me to plug them all into the same extension lead in order
to sort out the problem. So the stern warnings in the manual don't
appear to mean much to them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/07/2010 22:27 Jim K wrote:

Is that a "requirement" that they plug straight into a "direct circuit
fed mains wall socket" ?? (for want of a better description!)

Not a 'requirement', but I've always seen it described as 'recommended'.

mmm... nothing in devolos online manual ... you gotta link I can
study?

No link, but it's been in the instructions for the three different
brands I've used over the past few years.

ok... which brands/models were those so I can search?

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

F news@nowhere wrote:

On 20/07/2010 22:27 Jim K wrote:

Is that a "requirement" that they plug straight into a "direct circuit
fed mains wall socket" ?? (for want of a better description!)

Not a 'requirement', but I've always seen it described as 'recommended'.

The only reason for it to be "recommended" is that some extension leads
have corroded contacts in the socket because people use them in places
where dirt and damp are common. Also each extra plug and socket in the
chain result in attenuation of the signal causing performance issues.
There's no black magic that causes a plug to mystically misbehave, run
rogue and shut down other homeplugs if it's used on an extension.

TBH, I'd get all the plugs, put them on the same extension, jack the PC
into one of them and flash them all to the current firmware release.
Then assign a new shared secret to them all and that will eliminate
firmware incompatibility or problems with passwords.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24 July, 10:23, (Steve Firth) wrote:
F news@nowhere wrote:
On 20/07/2010 22:27 Jim K wrote:

[...]

yeah done that - all on lastest firmware, all same make, all same
pwds...issue remains :(

CHeers
Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 02:49:43 -0700 (PDT), Jim K wrote:

yeah done that - all on lastest firmware, all same make, all same
pwds...issue remains :(

As was mentioned a while back I suspect an AGC (Automatic Gain
Control) problem, two close together can only "hear" themselves not
the one further away that has a much lower signal due to losses in
the wiring.

What happens if you bring them all to roughly the same distance from
each other? If it's not an AGC problem, maybe one has a lower output,
tried swapping units around to see if soem are better than others in
the distant posistion. Might need to draw up a chart to keep track of
which ones work best where in relation to the others and their
location.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote:

yeah done that - all on lastest firmware, all same make, all same
pwds...issue remains :(

I'm completely flummoxed then. I've used the devolo blue lanplugs since
they first appeared and I'm not using the 200AV white ones. I've never
experienced what you describe - if it were reproducible irrespective of
where you plugged them in I'd suspect a clash of plug ID, but since it
varies according to where it is plugged in, I can't offer anything
useful. One minor point, have you tried any other extension leads to see
if it is jsut that lead causing the problem?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24 July, 12:52, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 02:49:43 -0700 (PDT), Jim K wrote:
yeah done that - all on lastest firmware, all same make, all same
pwds...issue remains :(

As was mentioned a while back I suspect an AGC (Automatic Gain
Control) problem, two close together can only "hear" themselves not
the one further away that has a much lower signal due to losses in
the wiring.

What happens if you bring them all to roughly the same distance from
each other?

pass - logistics nightmare ;)

If it's not an AGC problem, maybe one has a lower output,
tried swapping units around to see if soem are better than others in
the distant posistion. Might need to draw up a chart to keep track of
which ones work best where in relation to the others and their
location.

saville on
now as it happens
saville off
I shuffled them whilst checking/inspecting them and voila all is now
well...

Cheers
Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/07/2010 09:24 Jim K wrote:

ok... which brands/models were those so I can search?

Zyxel, Ebuyer own brand and another whose name I can't recall.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

mmm for a while now back again looking like the AGC pundits are
correct

Cheers to all

Jim K