Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Baby Listener over mains (eg HomePlug)

Hi - Some ideas or links please -

Wanting to hack up a sort of intercom system, so that people in location A
can overhear discussions taking place in location B (and rush to help if
they hear shouting and furniture breaking). Let's say the venue is a
kebab shop where the odd drunk wanders in and causes trouble, and the rest
of the family are generally upstairs at the back.

I thought for some reason that there were now volume-sensitive baby listener
devices which transmit over the 240v circuit (like HomePlug ethernet does).
A quick google, and I can't see any like that - many are still radio-based,
with DECT appearing occasionally. Not sure if radio will carry through the
numerous floors & walls, and would prefer that the audio wasn't broadcast on
an open channel anyway.

Really need to avoid running cable if possible, although this would be
simpler. Need to use this protection flexibly in several different rooms
and under diverse circumstances (yes, it's not really a kebab shop).

I throw myself on the collective mercy & wisdom of the hive mind... TIA!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Walker wrote:

Really need to avoid running cable if possible, although this would be
simpler. Need to use this protection flexibly in several different
rooms and under diverse circumstances (yes, it's not really a kebab
shop).

Sounds more like a knocking shop to me :-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Walker wrote:

I thought for some reason that there were now volume-sensitive baby listener
devices which transmit over the 240v circuit (like HomePlug ethernet does).
A quick google, and I can't see any like that - many are still radio-based,

Must have been a VERY quick Google...

http://www.grandoffers.co.uk/product...hFor=&PT_ID=80
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...C=SO&U=strat15
http://www.challenger.co.uk/productD...rderCode=D1004
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MAINS-WIRELESS...notsuppor ted

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Lobster
saying something like:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...C=SO&U=strat15

I see the idiots call it a wireless intercom.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:

What you need is a wireless intercom. Maplin do one.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=23041

Not sure why it's three channel if it can only be used in pairs.

So you can have more than one set operating concurrently... (IIRC, the
two channel ones they used to sell would work in numbers greater than
two anyway - so I don't know if their comment is actually true for these).

--
Cheers,

John.