Posted to uk.d-i-y
cd cd is offline

Default Plumbing regs and isolators

Hi all,

For the sake of convenience, I'd like to use just one isolator for both a
sink and a toilet in a bathroom. This isolator will be under the sink,
but the toilet it also controls will be at the other end of the room.

Is this arrangement kosher?

cheers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

cd wrote:
Hi all,

For the sake of convenience, I'd like to use just one isolator for both a
sink and a toilet in a bathroom. This isolator will be under the sink,
but the toilet it also controls will be at the other end of the room.

Is this arrangement kosher?

cheers.

I don't think any BRs cover number and position of isolation valves so
you do what you want.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, December 2, 2014 1:15:48 PM UTC, cd wrote:
Hi all,

For the sake of convenience, I'd like to use just one isolator for both a
sink and a toilet in a bathroom. This isolator will be under the sink,
but the toilet it also controls will be at the other end of the room.

Is this arrangement kosher?

cheers.

The only reg you might have is an anti-syphoning or one-way valve may need to be fitted on the potable water supply.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
cd cd is offline

THanks, guys.

Potable? Why not just say drinking? Aqua Potable is a Spanish term for
drinking water, don't want that foreign muck over here. ;-)

This isn't drinking water anyway.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/12/14 13:15, cd wrote:
Hi all,

For the sake of convenience, I'd like to use just one isolator for both a
sink and a toilet in a bathroom. This isolator will be under the sink,
but the toilet it also controls will be at the other end of the room.

Is this arrangement kosher?

cheers.

Yes.

There are no rules regarding how you arrange internal isolators - do
what you like.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/12/2014 13:15, cd wrote:
Hi all,

For the sake of convenience, I'd like to use just one isolator for both a
sink and a toilet in a bathroom. This isolator will be under the sink,
but the toilet it also controls will be at the other end of the room.

Is this arrangement kosher?

yup...

What rules there are for plumbing don't usually cover useful stuff like
usability and maintainability. (typically they are just protecting the
cleanliness of the supply, and attempting to impose energy efficiency on
you).

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/12/2014 14:00, cd wrote:
THanks, guys.

Potable? Why not just say drinking? Aqua Potable is a Spanish term for
drinking water, don't want that foreign muck over here. ;-)

The latest building regs have replaced potable with "wholesome" anyway.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/12/2014 14:15, Tim Watts wrote:
On 02/12/14 13:15, cd wrote:
Hi all,

For the sake of convenience, I'd like to use just one isolator for both a
sink and a toilet in a bathroom. This isolator will be under the sink,
but the toilet it also controls will be at the other end of the room.

Is this arrangement kosher?

cheers.

Yes.

There are no rules regarding how you arrange internal isolators - do
what you like.

Well there are some... like no isolator in the vent pipe of a vented
heating system ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/12/14 13:15, cd wrote:
Hi all,

For the sake of convenience, I'd like to use just one isolator for both a
sink and a toilet in a bathroom. This isolator will be under the sink,
but the toilet it also controls will be at the other end of the room.

Is this arrangement kosher?

cheers.

Yes.

There are no rules regarding how you arrange internal isolators - do
what you like.

Well there are some... like no isolator in the vent pipe of a vented
heating system ;-)

Funnily enough I took this at the place I was working today
https://flic.kr/p/pZkEMy

I can't see a problem having an isolator on the outlet, but I can't
see a good reason for it either.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/12/14 13:15, cd wrote:
Hi all,

For the sake of convenience, I'd like to use just one isolator for both a
sink and a toilet in a bathroom. This isolator will be under the sink,
but the toilet it also controls will be at the other end of the room.

Is this arrangement kosher?

cheers.

Yes.

There are no rules regarding how you arrange internal isolators - do
what you like.

Well there are some... like no isolator in the vent pipe of a vented
heating system ;-)

Funnily enough I took this at the place I was working today
https://flic.kr/p/pZkEMy

I can't see a problem having an isolator on the outlet, but I can't
see a good reason for it either.

It depends I guess if it is parallel with another source or not, like a
boiler (as a backup)?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , John
Rumm writes
On 02/12/2014 14:00, cd wrote:
THanks, guys.

Potable? Why not just say drinking? Aqua Potable is a Spanish term for
drinking water, don't want that foreign muck over here. ;-)

The latest building regs have replaced potable with "wholesome" anyway.

Presumably to allow displaced pipe scale to count as dietary roughage
:-)
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/12/2014 19:11, John Rumm wrote:

What rules there are for plumbing don't usually cover useful stuff like
usability and maintainability.

Except that the Water Supply (Water Fittings) Regulations require
pipework under concrete or solid floors etc. to be sleeved "to ensure
that the pipework is accessible and/or can be removed for maintenance or
repair."

This is quite a useful practical guide:

https://www.wras.co.uk/plumbing_prof...allation_faqs/

--
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/12/2014 10:52, Andy Wade wrote:
On 02/12/2014 19:11, John Rumm wrote:

What rules there are for plumbing don't usually cover useful stuff like
usability and maintainability.

Except that the Water Supply (Water Fittings) Regulations require
pipework under concrete or solid floors etc. to be sleeved "to ensure
that the pipework is accessible and/or can be removed for maintenance or
repair."

This is quite a useful practical guide:

https://www.wras.co.uk/plumbing_prof...allation_faqs/

Indeed... useful link.

I take back some of what I said above then - they seem to have expanded
the scope of the WRAS regulations since last I looked. (although
admittedly I was thinking more about building regs rather than WRAS
previously)

This one caught my eye:

Q. CAN A PUMP BE INSTALLED ON A SUPPLY PIPE TO BOOST LOW PRESSURE?

A. Yes - Pumps are allowed to be installed on supply pipes. However if
the pump is capable of delivering more than 12 litres per minute, you
must notify your water supplier and seek their consent before starting
any work. Notification Page

--
Cheers,

John.