Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default mortar with stronger adhesion

Can anyone recommend a suitable stronger adhesive than ordinary
cement pug to re fix an exterior step which consists of a standard
450mm square slab cemented to a concrete block base? The problem seems
to be the 50mm overhang presents just sufficient leverage to break the
bond when a heavy footfall is on the edge.

AJH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 20 Nov 2014 19:40:16 +0000, Tim Watts
wrote:

What *I* would do is paint the slab and the base with a cement slurry
immediate prior to using a 3:1 mix. That will get a *very* strong bond.

Just make a neat mix of cement-water and paint it on both surfaces
then bed an new 3:1 cement sand mix when all still wet?

Thanks
AJH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, November 21, 2014 8:47:46 AM UTC, stuart noble wrote:
On 20/11/2014 21:57, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
sm_jamieson writes:
On Thursday, November 20, 2014 7:40:20 PM UTC, Tim Watts wrote:
On 20/11/14 17:12, wrote:
Can anyone recommend a suitable stronger adhesive than ordinary
cement pug to re fix an exterior step which consists of a standard
450mm square slab cemented to a concrete block base? The problem seems
to be the 50mm overhang presents just sufficient leverage to break the
bond when a heavy footfall is on the edge.

AJH

What *I* would do is paint the slab and the base with a cement slurry
immediate prior to using a 3:1 mix. That will get a *very* strong bond.

My old man's trick - never failed me yet for awkward jobs, like end
bricks dropping off walls and things like that...

Add some SBR to the slurry for extra stickiness ?

You can make the slurry with just SBR and cement.
You can also add a small amount of SBR into the water for the
mortar mix. These will give the mortar some tensile strength.
Just make sure you never want to take it apart again later ;-)
You can use exterior PVA instead of SBR (SBR will be better if
it gets soaking wet).

Interesting that SBR and PVA behave quite differently in a mortar.
Without constant stirring, SBR will drop out of the mix, suggesting that
the liquid phase of the mortar goes its own way once it's on the surface.

Yes, you don't really notice that with SBR screed as screed is so dry - the whole lot just goes a bit gluey.
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
stuart noble writes:
Interesting that SBR and PVA behave quite differently in a mortar.
Without constant stirring, SBR will drop out of the mix, suggesting that
the liquid phase of the mortar goes its own way once it's on the surface.

Exterior grade PVA (which is really EVA, not PVA) chemically bonds with
the cement as it sets, and this is also what makes the EVA waterproof.
EVA is not waterproof by itself, only when used in mortar mixes with
cement.

I have less experience with SBR, and I don't think it chemically bonds
with the cement so much as just glues it together, but it's waterproof
by itself. PVA will behave in the same way, but is not waterproof - it
slowly dissolves in water, so won't work long term in wet cement.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
Can anyone recommend a suitable stronger adhesive than ordinary
cement pug to re fix an exterior step which consists of a standard
450mm square slab cemented to a concrete block base? The problem seems
to be the 50mm overhang presents just sufficient leverage to break the
bond when a heavy footfall is on the edge.

Cut 40 mm off one edge of the slab and have a 10mm overhang instead.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 20 Nov 2014 13:19:43 -0800 (PST), sm_jamieson
wrote:

What *I* would do is paint the slab and the base with a cement slurry
immediate prior to using a 3:1 mix. That will get a *very* strong bond.

My old man's trick - never failed me yet for awkward jobs, like end
bricks dropping off walls and things like that...

Add some SBR to the slurry for extra stickiness ?

OK this is what I have done, painted both surfaces with a cement-SBR
slurry and then made the pug with 3:1 sand:cement and SBR. We'll see
how it survives.

I added some shingle to the remaining mortar and have used it to
repair a pot hole on the edge between two cast in situ roadways just
to see how it fairs.

AJH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/11/14 16:47, Phil L wrote:
wrote in message

slurry and then made the pug with 3:1 sand:cement and SBR. We'll see

Pug?

You mentioned this in your OP and I assumed it was a typo, I've never heard
of 'pug' and I've been in the building game since leaving school in 1981

I have - in the south east. Clearly a regional term.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, November 20, 2014 5:12:46 PM UTC, wrote:
Can anyone recommend a suitable stronger adhesive than ordinary
cement pug to re fix an exterior step which consists of a standard
450mm square slab cemented to a concrete block base? The problem seems
to be the 50mm overhang presents just sufficient leverage to break the
bond when a heavy footfall is on the edge.

AJH

Could be connected to "pugging" the material found in between joists for sound deadening ,,,
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 23 Nov 2014 16:47:29 -0000, "Phil L"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .

slurry and then made the pug with 3:1 sand:cement and SBR. We'll see

Pug?

You mentioned this in your OP and I assumed it was a typo, I've never heard
of 'pug' and I've been in the building game since leaving school in 1981

It's not my trade but is what the brickies call it in Surrey-Sussex
area.

AJH

Exterior paintwork adhesion Ron Lowe[_3_] UK diy 7 March 25th 12 12:02 PM
paving slab adhesion Leo[_4_] UK diy 3 April 6th 10 02:13 PM
Adhesion of "grippy non-slip matting"? BigWallop UK diy 0 July 17th 05 04:05 PM
Caulk-tile adhesion problem Martin Home Repair 2 October 28th 04 02:25 PM
Problems with Paint Adhesion on Old Wood Phil Young UK diy 6 July 27th 04 01:30 PM