Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Costs for external redecoration

Hi,

I live on as estate which includes a dozen blocks, each of 9 flats (3
stories high).

We are due to have the outside redecorated and some of you may recall that I
posted a year ago asking about the needs for preparation as the task was
finished badly when the block was painted from new.

The upshot of this was that it was suggested that serious levels of prep
were required in order to avoid the paint just flaking off (again) and I
conveyed my concerns to the agents at last year's annual meeting.

Well, they have put the work out for tender and the quotes are in, and the
lowest was 500 pounds per flat.

There are 6 windows per flat, 2 small one for the bathrooms, 3 medium sized
and a large, full height, window in the lounge. Plus about 50% of the
outside wall is covered in cladding, and then there are the soffits (all of
which are, apparently, included in the quote)

That just seems far too low. I would be surprised if you got a quote that
low for just ground floor flats with no need to hire scaffolding. Add in
the need for scaffolding and there's nothing left for the actual work.

I'm suspicious that the company who have won the work are going to skimp on
the scaffolding and attempt to do the work from ladders, which I suspect
will mean that the top floor (me) won't be adequately prepared.

what do you guys think

tim

costs for man and van tim..... UK diy 23 July 31st 13 06:55 PM
Paint for interior redecoration. 4square UK diy 2 July 4th 10 12:52 PM
sealing damp-stained ceiling before redecoration [email protected] UK diy 4 November 30th 08 05:16 PM
boiler costs - rough costs / options dirt dibbler UK diy 1 July 5th 07 10:39 AM
Phases of Redecoration [email protected] UK diy 0 December 13th 06 08:14 PM