Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Paint for interior redecoration.

Now the offspring are all finally about to move out, I intend to
refurbish throughout, it's not been done in several years. I want to
eliminate all gloss paintwork, and use a matt / eggshell type finish
throughout on woodwork. I had considered using the Dulux Satinwood
range, reasonable range of colours and available in local Homebase,
but wondered if any other make is currently recommended in this sort
of finish. I tend to avoid 'own brands'. I note, some are water
based, which I have no experience of, other than on wall emulsion.
Any advice would be appreciated, thank you.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"4square" wrote in message
Now the offspring are all finally about to move out, I intend to
refurbish throughout, it's not been done in several years. I want to
eliminate all gloss paintwork, and use a matt / eggshell type finish
throughout on woodwork. I had considered using the Dulux Satinwood
range, reasonable range of colours and available in local Homebase,
but wondered if any other make is currently recommended in this sort
of finish. I tend to avoid 'own brands'. I note, some are water
based, which I have no experience of, other than on wall emulsion.
Any advice would be appreciated, thank you.

I really like the Satinwood paint. I use it for doors and then gloss for the
frames and architraves. Suits me!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , John
writes

"4square" wrote in message
Now the offspring are all finally about to move out, I intend to
refurbish throughout, it's not been done in several years. I want to
eliminate all gloss paintwork, and use a matt / eggshell type finish
throughout on woodwork. I had considered using the Dulux Satinwood
range, reasonable range of colours and available in local Homebase,
but wondered if any other make is currently recommended in this sort
of finish. I tend to avoid 'own brands'. I note, some are water
based, which I have no experience of, other than on wall emulsion.
Any advice would be appreciated, thank you.

I really like the Satinwood paint. I use it for doors and then gloss for the
frames and architraves. Suits me!

My pref for those areas is for oil based eggshell, I found it goes on
better than the time I tried satinwood. Used to use Dulux Trade but have
moved over to Johnstones as it's good stuff, there is a
Leyland(/Johnstones) trade centre near me who don't look down their
noses at diy-ers and it's cheaper. A painter who I trust and is working
with paint every day says his fave Crown trade stuff.

For walls, Johnstones matt emulsion, it's better than their Leyland
co-brand but still reasonably priced.

Top tip I got from a friend who was on a budget but wanted some classic
shades and an expensive finish was to buy enough Farrow & Ball emulsion
to do a single coat then took a sample to be colour matched with cheaper
(but still decent) stuff. One coat cheapie, final coat expensive and it
looks excellent.
--
fred