Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Home CCTV

Hi everyone,
I'd looking to implement a home CCTV system. Ideally one with an
iPhone/iPad accessible central recording facility, NVR or DVR type device.
3-4 cameras are all I'd really need. Night vision and easy cabling are
important, as are cameras suited to be used outside. I'd prefer to buy
within the UK to avoid long delivery times and being stung for fees. I saw
a Swann kit in costco that looked expensive and poor quality.

Any suggestions?

Any advice gratefully received.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/10/14 02:22, Simon Finnigan wrote:
Hi everyone,
I'd looking to implement a home CCTV system. Ideally one with an
iPhone/iPad accessible central recording facility, NVR or DVR type device.
3-4 cameras are all I'd really need. Night vision and easy cabling are
important, as are cameras suited to be used outside. I'd prefer to buy
within the UK to avoid long delivery times and being stung for fees. I saw
a Swann kit in costco that looked expensive and poor quality.

Any suggestions?

Any advice gratefully received.

I'd go for IP Cameras at the core and either use the cameras' local
record, detect and email abilities, or buy a copy of Xeoma to use at the
core.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
On 28/10/14 02:22, Simon Finnigan wrote:
Hi everyone,
I'd looking to implement a home CCTV system. Ideally one with an
iPhone/iPad accessible central recording facility, NVR or DVR type device.
3-4 cameras are all I'd really need. Night vision and easy cabling are
important, as are cameras suited to be used outside. I'd prefer to buy
within the UK to avoid long delivery times and being stung for fees. I saw
a Swann kit in costco that looked expensive and poor quality.

Any suggestions?

Any advice gratefully received.

I'd go for IP Cameras at the core and either use the cameras' local
record, detect and email abilities, or buy a copy of Xeoma to use at the core.

I'd much prefer everything to be held centrally. What kind of machine does
Xeoma need to run - I've got a HP Microserver running always on.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/10/14 12:19, Simon Finnigan wrote:
Tim Watts wrote:
On 28/10/14 02:22, Simon Finnigan wrote:
Hi everyone,
I'd looking to implement a home CCTV system. Ideally one with an
iPhone/iPad accessible central recording facility, NVR or DVR type device.
3-4 cameras are all I'd really need. Night vision and easy cabling are
important, as are cameras suited to be used outside. I'd prefer to buy
within the UK to avoid long delivery times and being stung for fees. I saw
a Swann kit in costco that looked expensive and poor quality.

Any suggestions?

Any advice gratefully received.

I'd go for IP Cameras at the core and either use the cameras' local
record, detect and email abilities, or buy a copy of Xeoma to use at the core.

I'd much prefer everything to be held centrally. What kind of machine does
Xeoma need to run - I've got a HP Microserver running always on.

It should easily run on an HP microserver. It's very linux friendly,
though apparently will run on MacOSX and Windows too.

Re forum - sorry, cannot remember. There are so many...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28 Oct 2014 12:19:06 GMT
Simon Finnigan wrote:

Tim Watts wrote:
[...]

The Zoneminder recommendation is still valid, then. And it's free!

--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28 Oct 2014 02:22:27 GMT
Simon Finnigan wrote:

Hi everyone,
I'd looking to implement a home CCTV system. Ideally one with an
iPhone/iPad accessible central recording facility, NVR or DVR type
device. 3-4 cameras are all I'd really need. Night vision and easy
cabling are important, as are cameras suited to be used outside. I'd
prefer to buy within the UK to avoid long delivery times and being
stung for fees. I saw a Swann kit in costco that looked expensive and
poor quality.

Any suggestions?

Any advice gratefully received.

You could start here, although there are plenty of sources:
http://www.camsecure.co.uk/

CPC/Farnell sell systems and components. If you use Linux, then
Zoneminder is your friend.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Davey wrote:
On 28 Oct 2014 02:22:27 GMT
Simon Finnigan wrote:

Hi everyone,
I'd looking to implement a home CCTV system. Ideally one with an
iPhone/iPad accessible central recording facility, NVR or DVR type
device. 3-4 cameras are all I'd really need. Night vision and easy
cabling are important, as are cameras suited to be used outside. I'd
prefer to buy within the UK to avoid long delivery times and being
stung for fees. I saw a Swann kit in costco that looked expensive and
poor quality.

Any suggestions?

Any advice gratefully received.

You could start here, although there are plenty of sources:
http://www.camsecure.co.uk/

CPC/Farnell sell systems and components. If you use Linux, then
Zoneminder is your friend.

I'm looking more for personal recommendations of good kit and a good
seller. Hikvision cameras seem to get good press, but I'm not sure they'll
combine with a NVR type device, or if there are any UK sellers that don't
charge a huge premium over importing them myself.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/10/14 12:24, Simon Finnigan wrote:
Davey wrote:
On 28 Oct 2014 02:22:27 GMT
Simon Finnigan wrote:

[...]

Ah - this seller claims English firmware and half the price of UK suppliers:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/whole...472253824.html

Now I know the foibles I might get my future ones here...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
On 28/10/14 12:24, Simon Finnigan wrote:
Davey wrote:
On 28 Oct 2014 02:22:27 GMT
Simon Finnigan wrote:

[...]

Thanks. Does anyone know what kind of hit I'm looking at for the duty?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Finnigan wrote:

Tim Watts wrote:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/whole...472253824.html

Thanks. Does anyone know what kind of hit I'm looking at for the duty?

Theoretically 14%

http://www.dutycalculator.com/hs-code-duty-rate-import-restrictions/852859/cctv-camera/8528.59.5000/8528.59.7090/1020/

In practice not likely to be charged, at worst you might get hit for VAT
depending how it's declared on the paperwork ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Finnigan wrote:
Hi everyone,
I'd looking to implement a home CCTV system. Ideally one with an
iPhone/iPad accessible central recording facility, NVR or DVR type device.
3-4 cameras are all I'd really need. Night vision and easy cabling are
important, as are cameras suited to be used outside. I'd prefer to buy
within the UK to avoid long delivery times and being stung for fees. I saw
a Swann kit in costco that looked expensive and poor quality.

Any suggestions?

Any advice gratefully received.

Have a look at System Q.

Bill