Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home
ioan_davies

Default CCTV Advice Needed For Home Security

Hello All
I need some advice with regards CCTV.I need a system that will be
looking over a car park outside my house.It will be connected to a
video,recording through the night,so if anything happens I can view it
after on a TV.But the camera will be looking through a window on to the
car park,this is to stop people vandalizing the camera.So it needs to
have good to average night vision.It also needs to be wireless as it
may be used elsewhere for other viewing concerns.Audio is not required
just visuals.I have been looking at the Tranwo 3010 Indoor B&W
Day/Night Vision Wireless CCTV Camera & Receiver from
http://www.iviewcameras.co.uk/,but I am not sure how good the picture
quality would be,going by the price I presume you get what you pay
for.Price wise I am looking at spending up to £100.00 on a system if
one exists with the requirements I have mentioned.I emailed
iviewcameras and asked them their advice to this question but they
never replied.They do seem to have the best selection of CCTV
cameras/systems that I have found.

Any and all help on this problem will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any help
MW

Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home
Dave

be aware that wireless cctv systems can conflict with neighbours equipment
and with wireless routers on computer networks. I have learnt this to my
cost.

"ioan_davies" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home
The3rd Earl Of Derby

ioan_davies wrote:
[...]

This fact not fiction, but...
Some time ago a resident was find £2000, an offender who had committed an
knife assult on a person, police gained footage of the assult by the said
residents CCTV camera footage as it was verging over the residents property
boundry(public footpath...result was the offender was found guilty and his
lawyer then filed a lawsuit against the resident for illegal use of the
CCTV.

So do be warned.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home
Steve Walker

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

This fact not fiction, but...
Some time ago a resident was find £2000, an offender who had
committed an knife assult on a person, police gained footage of
the assult by the said residents CCTV camera footage as it was
verging over the residents property boundry(public
footpath...result was the offender was found guilty and his
lawyer then filed a lawsuit against the resident for illegal use
of the CCTV.

Sounds like an urban myth to me -
can you provide any proof of this 'fact'?

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager

On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 21:20:25 UTC, "The3rd Earl Of Derby"
wrote:

Some time ago a resident was find £2000, an offender who had committed an
knife assult on a person, police gained footage of the assult by the said
residents CCTV camera footage as it was verging over the residents property
boundry(public footpath...result was the offender was found guilty and his
lawyer then filed a lawsuit against the resident for illegal use of the
CCTV.

Key part is 'some time ago'. I think it was February 2004 that new
guidance came from the ICO. Essentially: if there are no more than two
cameras, they are not remotely steerable, the output is just taped, and
it's only used for police assistance, then it's fine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home
Capitol

ioan_davies wrote:

[...]

As a previous poster said, interference is a problem with wireless
cameras. Microwave ovens can also knock out the signal. If the camera is
mounted high enough, vandalism should not be a problem. However, very
few cheap cameras work well under night time conditions and you may well
have problems with reflections if trying to operate through a window. If
the problem is only over a few hours, then a standard video camera would
be a better solution, this will have better optics than a low cost
camera. It can easily be coupled to a standard VCR. Can you borrow one?

Regards
Capitol
Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home
raden

In message , Dave
writes
be aware that wireless cctv systems can conflict with neighbours equipment
and with wireless routers on computer networks. I have learnt this to my
cost.

Prolly because you failed to put it in the wrong place ... like your
reply

"ioan_davies" wrote in message
.. .
Hello All
I need some advice with regards CCTV.

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home
raden

In message , ioan_davies
writes
[...]

It's been discussed to death recently

go check the google archives

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Steve Walker wrote:
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

This fact not fiction, but...
Some time ago a resident was find £2000, an offender who had
committed an knife assult on a person, police gained footage of
the assult by the said residents CCTV camera footage as it was
verging over the residents property boundry(public
footpath...result was the offender was found guilty and his
lawyer then filed a lawsuit against the resident for illegal use
of the CCTV.

Sounds like an urban myth to me -
can you provide any proof of this 'fact'?

Its not urban myth.
No, not now as it was a newspaper article late 2004?

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
JD

wrote:

Some time ago a resident was find £2000, an offender who had committed an
knife assult on a person, police gained footage of the assult by the said
residents CCTV camera footage as it was verging over the residents property
boundry(public footpath...result was the offender was found guilty and his
lawyer then filed a lawsuit against the resident for illegal use of the
CCTV.

Key part is 'some time ago'. I think it was February 2004 that new
guidance came from the ICO. Essentially: if there are no more than two
cameras, they are not remotely steerable, the output is just taped, and
it's only used for police assistance, then it's fine.

Have a look at the laws relating to CCTV on the information
commissioners web site

www.informationcommissioner.gov.uk

it is an offense to use a camera in public places without cause etc. we
were warned at work as one of our roaming cameras look at our second
building (across a public rd) by the installation company. Having said
all that if anything happens on the estate the police borrow to the tape
to see who came on and off it via the road so they tend to be understanding.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home
Steve Walker

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Steve Walker wrote:
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

This fact not fiction, but...
Some time ago a resident was find £2000, an offender who had
committed an knife assult on a person, police gained footage of
the assult by the said residents CCTV camera footage as it was
verging over the residents property boundry(public
footpath...result was the offender was found guilty and his
lawyer then filed a lawsuit against the resident for illegal use
of the CCTV.

Sounds like an urban myth to me -
can you provide any proof of this 'fact'?

Its not urban myth.
No, not now as it was a newspaper article late 2004?

With respect, I'll believe it when I see it.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
.

wrote:

Some time ago a resident was find £2000, an offender who had
committed an knife assult on a person, police gained footage of the
assult by the said residents CCTV camera footage as it was verging
over the residents property boundry(public footpath...result was
the offender was found guilty and his lawyer then filed a lawsuit
against the resident for illegal use of the CCTV.

Key part is 'some time ago'. I think it was February 2004 that new
guidance came from the ICO. Essentially: if there are no more than
two cameras, they are not remotely steerable, the output is just
taped, and it's only used for police assistance, then it's fine.

Have a look at the laws relating to CCTV on the information
commissioners web site

www.informationcommissioner.gov.uk

it is an offense to use a camera in public places without cause

but if you have cause .....

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager

On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 22:31:21 UTC, JD wrote:

Key part is 'some time ago'. I think it was February 2004 that new
guidance came from the ICO. Essentially: if there are no more than two
cameras, they are not remotely steerable, the output is just taped, and
it's only used for police assistance, then it's fine.

Have a look at the laws relating to CCTV on the information
commissioners web site

www.informationcommissioner.gov.uk

it is an offense to use a camera in public places without cause etc. we
were warned at work as one of our roaming cameras look at our second
building (across a public rd) by the installation company. Having said
all that if anything happens on the estate the police borrow to the tape
to see who came on and off it via the road so they tend to be understanding.

Read what I said. I said 'new guidance'. It's a separate note. Also read
again...I said that it's OK if the cameras aren't steerable; you were
warned about a steerable camera.

I'm perfectly aware of the ICO website; that's why I mentioned the ICO!
See:

http://www.ico.gov.uk/cms/DocumentUp..._protection_ac
t_good_practice_note.pdf

Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home
Bob Minchin

Dave wrote in message ...
[...]

To avoid possible wireless Lan/microwave oven conflicts, you could consider
one of the Homeplug cameras that transfer their info to your computer via
the mains wiring. Pictures are jpegs and readily stored on a pc. I'm sure
there is software available to give the equivalent of VCR functionality.
Google will find suppliers such as Solwise for the cameras
I've not used a camera on Homeplug but do use Ethernet over Homeplug which
works very well.

hth

Bob

Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home
Tim S

Bob Minchin wrote:

To avoid possible wireless Lan/microwave oven conflicts, you could
consider one of the Homeplug cameras that transfer their info to your
computer via the mains wiring. Pictures are jpegs and readily stored on a
pc. I'm sure there is software available to give the equivalent of VCR
functionality. Google will find suppliers such as Solwise for the cameras
I've not used a camera on Homeplug but do use Ethernet over Homeplug which
works very well.

Modern wireless is pretty good, and modern ovens less crap than they
occasionally used to be. I was worried about this, but my 802.11a/g WIFI
and DECT phone work quite happily with the microwave on. The DECT base
station is 6" away from the oven too.

HTH

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home
nightjar

"ioan_davies" wrote in message
...Price wise I am looking at spending up to £100.00 ..

Increase your budget tenfold and you might get a system that is worth
having.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home
The3rd Earl Of Derby

"ioan_davies" wrote in message
...Price wise I am looking at spending up to £100.00 ..

Increase your budget tenfold and you might get a system that is worth
having.

Colin Bignell

He's watching his car not the crown jewels. lol
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
JD wrote:
Have a look at the laws relating to CCTV on the information
commissioners web site

www.informationcommissioner.gov.uk

it is an offense to use a camera in public places without cause etc. we
were warned at work as one of our roaming cameras look at our second
building (across a public rd) by the installation company. Having said
all that if anything happens on the estate the police borrow to the tape
to see who came on and off it via the road so they tend to be
understanding.

I read in the OP's question (between the lines) that he was worried about
his car being vandalised in a private car park.

--
*Why do we say something is out of whack? What is a whack?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
JD wrote:
Have a look at the laws relating to CCTV on the information
commissioners web site

www.informationcommissioner.gov.uk

it is an offense to use a camera in public places without cause etc.
we were warned at work as one of our roaming cameras look at our
second building (across a public rd) by the installation company.
Having said all that if anything happens on the estate the police
borrow to the tape to see who came on and off it via the road so
they tend to be understanding.

I read in the OP's question (between the lines) that he was worried
about his car being vandalised in a private car park.

He doesn't specify as being private?
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home
nightjar

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
. uk...
"ioan_davies" wrote in message
...Price wise I am looking at spending up to £100.00 ..

Increase your budget tenfold and you might get a system that is worth
having.

Colin Bignell

He's watching his car not the crown jewels. lol

Unless he is watching it live, constantly, there is little point in having a
low quality CCTV. The recordings will not be of evidence quality, so the
Police won't be interested in them.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home
Stuart

On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 22:23:33 GMT, raden wrote:

In message , Dave
writes
be aware that wireless cctv systems can conflict with neighbours equipment
and with wireless routers on computer networks. I have learnt this to my
cost.

Prolly because you failed to put it in the wrong place ... like your
reply

You mean he didn't fail to put it in the wrong place .:-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home
raden

In message , Stuart
writes
On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 22:23:33 GMT, raden wrote:

In message , Dave
writes
be aware that wireless cctv systems can conflict with neighbours equipment
and with wireless routers on computer networks. I have learnt this to my
cost.

Prolly because you failed to put it in the wrong place ... like your
reply

You mean he didn't fail to put it in the wrong place .:-)

Shall I try that again ?

I think the meaning got across despite my obvious balls up

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home
TonyB

Unless he is watching it live, constantly, there is little point in having
low quality CCTV. The recordings will not be of evidence quality, so the
Police won't be interested in them.

I used a standard home video camera connected to a domestic recorder set to
run in long play. That gave me 8 hours of good quality tape and enabled the
police to nick the old b*****r that was vandalising my car on a public
highway. The tapes went through the police and several solicitors and at no
time did anyone say I shouldn't have been filming.

To round the story off, the old boy ( 70+ yrs old! ) was arrested and
marched off to the nick. CPS decided that there was insufficient evidence to
prosecute ( !! ) despite the fact that you could hear the key on the metal
for several seconds and see the bloke - who admitted it was he - but he
denied scratching the car and the video did not actually pick up his hand
against the bodywork.

The insurance co started proceedings against him and after 2 years of
letters the old boy stopped replying. At that point the NU dropped the case.
I could sue him privately to get my £120 excess back but to be honest it
isn't worth the hassle. I don't think he'll do it again.

TonyB

Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home
raden

In message , TonyB
writes
[...]

So, not really a result then

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home
nightjar

"TonyB" wrote in message
Unless he is watching it live, constantly, there is little point in
having

low quality CCTV. The recordings will not be of evidence quality, so the
Police won't be interested in them.

I used a standard home video camera connected to a domestic recorder set
run in long play. That gave me 8 hours of good quality tape and enabled
the
police to nick the old b*****r that was vandalising my car on a public
highway.

Home video equipment can be near broadcast quality, which is far better than
cheap CCTV.

The tapes went through the police and several solicitors and at no
time did anyone say I shouldn't have been filming.

To round the story off, the old boy ( 70+ yrs old! ) was arrested and
marched off to the nick. CPS decided that there was insufficient evidence
prosecute ( !! ) despite the fact that you could hear the key on the metal
for several seconds and see the bloke - who admitted it was he - but he
denied scratching the car and the video did not actually pick up his hand
against the bodywork.

That is the important bit. You have to capture irrefutable evidence of the
crime happening for the evidence to be any good in Court. Even in the recent
well-publicised case where a thief was caught on a web cam stealing the
computer it was connected to, he was convicted on the basis of his
confession when confronted with the recording, not on the evidence of the
recording.

Colin Bignell

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
Micky Savage

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
k...
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
JD wrote:
Have a look at the laws relating to CCTV on the information
commissioners web site

www.informationcommissioner.gov.uk

it is an offense to use a camera in public places without cause etc.
we were warned at work as one of our roaming cameras look at our
second building (across a public rd) by the installation company.
Having said all that if anything happens on the estate the police
borrow to the tape to see who came on and off it via the road so
they tend to be understanding.

I read in the OP's question (between the lines) that he was worried
about his car being vandalised in a private car park.

He doesn't specify as being private?
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

The commission only applies to commercial buildings, I do except that you
cannot have a camera pointing in to your neighbours bedroom, or you cannot
have ptzs on a domestic dwelling.
As long as the camera is fixed to one position, namely his car nothing is
out of order.

Micky.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home
Micky Savage

ioan_davies wrote:
[...]

Don't take this the wrong way,
But what a load of balls.

Mick

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

dave wrote:
On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 21:52:17 GMT, "Micky Savage"
wrote:

This fact not fiction, but...
Some time ago a resident was find £2000, an offender who had
committed an knife assult on a person, police gained footage of the
assult by the said residents CCTV camera footage as it was verging
over the residents property
boundry(public footpath...result was the offender was found guilty
and his lawyer then filed a lawsuit against the resident for
illegal use of the CCTV.

So do be warned.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Don't take this the wrong way,
But what a load of balls.

Mick

Eagerly awaiting the repost...

Can he prove its a load of balls?

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home
The3rd Earl Of Derby

ioan_davies wrote:
[...]

Listen the article was on the BBC News site late 2004 the guys camera was
bordering onto a public footpath now either the police went about obtaining
the footage the wrong way or the guy did not display surveilance signs.

You either believe it or not, either way I ain't bothered.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
marble

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 21:51:26 GMT, "Micky Savage"
wrote:

I do except that you
cannot have a camera pointing in to your neighbours bedroom

That alas is ********, there are plenty of surveilance cameras capable
of looking into residental bedrooms perfectly legaly. More going up
every day. Lets hope the security guard grunts queing up to get
surveilance jobs wont use them for that purpose.

, or you cannot
have ptzs on a domestic dwelling.
As long as the camera is fixed to one position, namely his car nothing is
out of order.

Micky.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home
marble

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 02:41:39 GMT, "The3rd Earl Of Derby"
wrote:

Listen the article was on the BBC News site late 2004 the guys camera was
bordering onto a public footpath now either the police went about obtaining
the footage the wrong way or the guy did not display surveilance signs.

You either believe it or not, either way I ain't bothered.

I remember a story where the defence barister got the person, who had
had his surveilance tapes seized by the police and used in a
prosecution, prosecuted and fined but I cant find the story. I think
the advise has changed since then.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home
nightjar

"tony sayer" wrote in message
Home video equipment can be near broadcast quality, which is far better
than
cheap CCTV.

And that shows how received broadcast standards have fallen in recent
times!!......

You do realise that I am talking about the number of TV lines that can be
achieved don't you?

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home
tony sayer

In article , nightjar
writes

"tony sayer" wrote in message
Home video equipment can be near broadcast quality, which is far better
than
cheap CCTV.

And that shows how received broadcast standards have fallen in recent
times!!......

You do realise that I am talking about the number of TV lines that can be
achieved don't you?

No explain....
Please
Colin Bignell

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home
ioan_davies

In article , [email protected] wrote:

ioan_davies wrote:
[...]

Hello Again
So back to the original question,after all the discussions,does anyone
have any advice to a system that fullfil my requirements?
Please.

Thanks A Lot
MW
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Lynch

ioan_davies wrote:
[...]

Almost certainly not. It uses inbuilt IR LEDs to provide illumination
at night. The range that these will be effective for will only be a
few feet. Plus, having the camera behind a window means you will:
a.) lose some IR transmission through the glass, thus limiting their
range even more
b.) get a _lot_ of reflection off the glass itself which I expect
would render any image useless.

On another note (I haven't read any of the other posts and don't
intend to get into a discussion on the topic) I doubt that a
camera with such a wide field of view would be much use at identifying
any vandals. It certainly wouldn't provide "evidence" quality
data, if that is your intent.

Pete

--
.. never trust a man who, when left alone ...... Pete Lynch .

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ioan_davies

ioan_davies wrote:
[...]

Thanks Pete for your input,appreciated.