Dave

Default Security advice - pet immune PIRs?

After getting burglars this morning I think it is time to review our
security system. Fortunately, they didnt get away with anything as the alarm
went off after they opened the front door (presumably they were getting an
escape route as they entered through a kitchen window). Now because we have
a cat, we tend to leave off the zone that was the entry point - there is a
PIR in this zone which the cat has set off before. Also in this zone is a
door contact on the back door and a vibration sensor on the window they
entered through - I expect they wouldnt have got in had this zone been
enabled!

You tend to get complacent about security when nothing has heppened for a
long time but this has made us take a bit of notice. So I was thinking about
rewiring to put the pir on its own zone (we only have 4 zones so a bit of
juggling would be needed) which we can leave off if necessary while still
protecting the doors & windows. However, I was just looking at cpc and they
have some 'animal resistant' PIRs which wont be triggered by an animal up to
35kg in weight. Has anyone used these devices before and are they really
resistant to my cat wandering round (while still picking up a person!)? Here
is a link to them...

http://tinyurl.com/g0fw

cheers

dave.

Josey

"Tony Hogarty" wrote in message
Dave wrote:

Has anyone used these devices before and are they really
resistant to my cat wandering round (while still picking up a person!)?
Here is a link to them...

I haven't used this particular make but we do have pet friendly PIR's here
and so far they appear to work well. They ignore the cats and the dog but
do trigger on humans when I do a walk test. Had no false alarms to date

so
I can say I'm very happy with them.

Do you know the make, model or supplier please?

Jc.

Dave Plowman

In article ,
Dave wrote:
that would be handy - I might change our 3 PIRs to these immune ones if
they arent too expensive

Some give you a choice of lenses - the idea being to avoid ground level
and therefore pets. Of course, cats can jump up on things. But if yours
are this type you might be able to buy the lenses only and experiment.
A pal who had several cats avoided PIRs altogether and relied on shock
sensors. But had loads of false alarms.

IMHO, if you can be bothered with the work, sensors on all the external
doors and windows are pretty reliable, unless you are 'attacked' by a pro
burglar.

--
*No husband has ever been shot while doing the dishes *

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Tony Hogarty

Dave wrote:

Has anyone used these devices before and are they really
resistant to my cat wandering round (while still picking up a person!)?
Here is a link to them...

I haven't used this particular make but we do have pet friendly PIR's
here
and so far they appear to work well. They ignore the cats and the dog
but
do trigger on humans when I do a walk test. Had no false alarms to date

so
I can say I'm very happy with them.

Do you know the make, model or supplier please?

Jc.

Difficult to read as it is in tiny writing moulded into the plastic but it
looks like it says 'Rockonet'? No idea of supplier or model as they were
installed by my electrician.
--
Regards

Tony Hogarty
(take out garbage to reply)
Tony Hogarty

Dave Plowman wrote:

Some give you a choice of lenses - the idea being to avoid ground level
and therefore pets. Of course, cats can jump up on things. But if yours
are this type you might be able to buy the lenses only and experiment.
A pal who had several cats avoided PIRs altogether and relied on shock
sensors. But had loads of false alarms.

The ones we have fitted apear to work on the infra red 'mass' rather than
poisition. I've lost the leaflet that came with them (naturally) but they
have an upper weight limit of something like 30kg and anything above this
will trigger the alarm. They appear to be fairly reliable so far as we
haven't had any false alarms from the cats jumping onto window sills or
worktops so they don't appear to be overly sensitive to position.
--
Regards

Tony Hogarty
(take out garbage to reply)

BigWallop

Dave wrote:

[...]

Contact your nearest Gardiner Security, and ask them for their range of pet
immune detectors. There are so many to choose from now, that each job is
becoming more difficult to spec' for. They've been in use for a good many
years now, and they have got better and better as time has gone on, so each
maker has their own style, shape and size to suit any decoration.

Yes ! They do work.

Josey

"Jonathan Ward" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

Dave wrote:

[...]

We have them and are excellent. The only false alarm was when the cat

climbed
up the loft ladder (down temporarily) and I think must have got too close

the sensor mounted on the ceiling.
--
Jonathan Ward
Remove the 'X' when replying

A recommeded make and model would be nice if you know it.

Jc

BigWallop

"Dave Plowman" wrote in message
In article ,
Dave wrote:
that would be handy - I might change our 3 PIRs to these immune ones if
they arent too expensive

Some give you a choice of lenses - the idea being to avoid ground level
and therefore pets. Of course, cats can jump up on things. But if yours
are this type you might be able to buy the lenses only and experiment.
A pal who had several cats avoided PIRs altogether and relied on shock
sensors. But had loads of false alarms.

IMHO, if you can be bothered with the work, sensors on all the external
doors and windows are pretty reliable, unless you are 'attacked' by a pro
burglar.

The new Pet Immune PIR's don't miss any of the floor area David, and can
actually have a look down lens on the bottom. They work by ignoring the
heat signature of small mamals, that is why they are rated to the weight of
the animal. The rating gives you the immunity level to work by and if you
have a cat heavier than 35kg then it is obese and should be put on a diet.

We had one customer who asked for pet immune detectors so she could let her
cats, and I mean loads of them, roam around the back kitchen. Then a few
weeks later she complained because the neighbours dog she was looking after
set the alarm off. Well you should've seen the size of this rottwheiler
(spelling) it was bigger than the two engineers put together. When we tried
to explain that the detector was set to the weight of the animal she didn't
beleive us and thought it was the detector that recognised if it was dog or
cat running around on the floor.

Still laugh about it on an almost daily basis.

--
*No husband has ever been shot while doing the dishes *

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn

---
BigWallop

http://basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

roger

they do work - but not suitable for every location
less sensitive than normal pirs and need careful siting
they normaly require the animal not to be able to get within 2 metres of the
sensor
dont get confused with pirs with pet lens - these are not suitable for cats
you need animal resistant pirs. Note they dont call them animal proof
sensors! but they do work
much better to have its own zone as well
"Dave" wrote in message
.. However, I was just looking at cpc and they
have some 'animal resistant' PIRs which wont be triggered by an animal up

35kg in weight. Has anyone used these devices before and are they really
resistant to my cat wandering round (while still picking up a person!)?

Here
is a link to them...

http://tinyurl.com/g0fw

cheers

dave.

ARWadsworth

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message

A recommeded make and model would be nice if you know it.

Jc

I have used

http://www.texe.com/index2.asp?agena..._3dseries.html
(pet wise) with both my large cat and my parents border terrier with no
problem. The sensors are all ceiling mounted and mine is mounted so that

the
cat cannot get near it on the bookshelf. I seem to remember I paid about

£20
per sensor.

HTH

Adam